HP Baked beans

Wendy

[quote user="rusheslake"]Has anybody tried the 'baked beans' you can buy from Aldi's?

They come in a large jar and I swear are probably even better than the normal ones.

ps dont have them for breakfast but theres just times when only beans on toast with a slurp of Worcestershire Sauce will do![/quote]

Hmmm....don't tell anyone .....but yes!

Daughter brought her foodstock back from Uni and there was a tin of Aldi baked beans in the box.

Needing some beans on toast ( as one does from time to time) , and after a bit of lipcurling at the potential quality, I knicked the tin and ate the contents[:P]

Conclusion.... Shamefaced I have to admit they were far less sickly sweet and salty than either Heinz or HP, and the sauce was neither runny nor claggy.

And at a few pence a tin, I'll certainly buy a few tins in the future!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="rusheslake"]Has anybody tried the 'baked beans' you can buy from Aldi's?

They come in a large jar and I swear are probably even better than the normal ones.

ps dont have them for breakfast but theres just times when only beans on toast with a slurp of Worcestershire Sauce will do![/quote]

Yes, and they are the best BB anywhere.  Small beans in a delicious sauce not at all watery like some of the French Haricots a la Tomates which can have enormous beans. We don't go over to Aldi very often but go especially for a tray of 12 jars which are 700g branded Kings Crown (and some bread flour too) - lasts us at least 6 months anyway!!

Thank you SO much [:@]

I thought I was long over all speciality foods (although I do have a secret stash of Marmite) and now I find myself longing for Baked Beans of all things.  I'll have to get along to Aldi's

Incidently, is yours an 'Aldi-Sud' or an'Aldi - Nord' ?  Apparently the Aldi chain(s) are owned by 2 german brothers who can't stand each other so they divided germany up between them and they sell similar but slightly different things.  In Luxembourg there's 3 or 4 Aldi-Sud stores,  Just wondered who has bagged France (and the UK for that matter)

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Did you buy any English sliced white for toast?
[/quote]

Ah, Dick, you are a man after my own heart. I get sick of French sweet sliced bread, too thin, too pappy - need a good thick sliced English loaf for toast, but the marmalade is good here.

There are three, sorry four, things that I take over to France every visit:

Baked Beans (usually Tesco value for 15 pence) - why pay 4 euros

Tinned spaghetti

Marmite

Heinz tomato ketchup

Where we are (the Medoc - 33), I haven't seen these in the supermarket and my children and I can't last for 3 months without them!

Heinz tomato ketchup has been available in any supermarket for years; my children are in their forties and had HTK when they were small; used to buy Daddies sauce in England, once a year, in gallon size cans though!  Found some Heinz mayonnaise sauce the other day which turned out to be salad cream!

Bacon as we know it is not the same at all here but I have found that buying the cheapy 'Poitrine Fumé' and slicing it up myself does fry/grill very well and go nice and crispy.

I imagine your neighbours would be very pleased to get some bacon as long as it's good quality stuff, not the nasty supermarket offering which was once described to me as 'Pure spring water with a twist of pig' [+o(]

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Bacon as we know it is not the same at all here but I have found that buying the cheapy 'Poitrine Fumé' and slicing it up myself does fry/grill very well and go nice and crispy.

I imagine your neighbours would be very pleased to get some bacon as long as it's good quality stuff, not the nasty supermarket offering which was once described to me as 'Pure spring water with a twist of pig' [+o(]

[/quote]

I'm not sure they would know what to do with it! Bacon and egg or bacon butties are unknown to French people. They usually buy thick pieces of streaky bacon (the Poitrine Fume) to add to various casseroles.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

[/quote]

I've been buying the Eco Poitrine Fumée salé from LeClerc a lot lately and its 100% leaner and better than their usual more expensive stuff which always has the gristle knob halfway down and no water when cooking either.

• 4 weeks later...

For the last few months we have been buying thin sliced poitrine fume from Lidl. It is just like streaky bacon from the UK and even satisfies me, the brand is 'Twinner' and is in a red pack. I cannot stand that thick sliced stuff with the cartilidge that you get from Le Clerc/Carrefour or those round slices of paper-like bacon. None of my guests will eat it.

And as for french-style white sliced bread - keep it for the ducks. Too sweet, too crummy/fragile, it falls apart when you try to butter it and leaves an awful taste in your mouth. I buy 'pain anglais' in green and white wrapping from the local Shoppi. If they run out of stock I simply go without.

One last thing...french butter. Abysmal. [+o(]

[quote user="wen"]

For the last few months we have been buying thin sliced poitrine fume from Lidl. It is just like streaky bacon from the UK and even satisfies me, the brand is 'Twinner' and is in a red pack. I cannot stand that thick sliced stuff with the cartilidge that you get from Le Clerc/Carrefour or those round slices of paper-like bacon. None of my guests will eat it.

And as for french-style white sliced bread - keep it for the ducks. Too sweet, too crummy/fragile, it falls apart when you try to butter it and leaves an awful taste in your mouth. I buy 'pain anglais' in green and white wrapping from the local Shoppi. If they run out of stock I simply go without.

[/quote]

Does your husband Know about this?

While we're on the subject of Englishy foods, I was doing a fry up tonight and fancied some fried bread which I hadn't had for years. Didn't have any sliced bread, just a left over baguette from earlier. Cut it up into 2" thick slices and bunged them in the fry pan with crushed garlic and lashings of olive oil (this was a classy fry up, didn't even have any brown sauce with it mainly due to the fact we'd run out of it!)

My god, it was the best fried bread I'd ever tasted. The bread absorbed all the flavours brilliantly. If you haven't tried this, it's a must.

R.

Would love to try your fried bread.  But, after waiting since May to have our cooker installed, we are still living off salads, micro waveable meals, stuff cooked on an infra red grill a friend has kindly lent us and stuff cooked on a steamer. Have been told Godin, the maker of the stove, were shut for August for, you guess it, their annual holiday.

Could do baked beans, no problem; microwave for about 4 mins on medium.  But oh, for fried eggs and a bit of fried bread.  In fact, a bit of fried ANYTHING would be nice.

Gosh, know how you feel. We lived off a convection microwave and george foreman grill for about a year until we had a kitchen. In the latter part of our wait, we got one of those slow cooker things. Cooking was dead easy with that, chop some veg up, some meat, some other stuff in, switch on and forget for 8 hours. Now we have a kitchen, cooking has become harder again.

Sweet 17 - we have a two ring electric hob from UK but I have seen them here on special for under 20 euros.    Go on treat yourself.

Hope your Godin turns up soon - winter is coming and soon time to stoke up the wood burning stoves again.   Such fun to cook on once you get used to them.

[quote user="wen"]

[/quote]

Aren't we all different? [;-)] Having just come back from 2 months in our cottage, I'm realising all over again how appallingly soggy and tasteless most British sliced bread is - sticks to my teeth and I have trouble swallowing it and it doesn't have any proper crust. As for butter - well it's obvious you don't live in Normandy, Wen. The local butter there is wonderful, especially the unsalted.  I've just brought back and frozen enough beurre doux to last me until our next visit. [:D]