Rugby World Cup 3rd XV

Gardian

[quote user="raindog"]If only they could finish, they would have won. 

[/quote]

Catching and holding on to the ball might have helped them (Italy) as well. To be honest they made some very amateur mistakes, I think they actually stood a chance of winning at one stage, they frightened the French a couple of times. I also think the Italians have enriched the 6N, although slowly they do get better every year.

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Afternoon raindog -  despite all my previous defence of Ashton he has made a complete plonker of himself over the Cipriani affair and I have no doubt that the whole stupid fiasco has had a major dressingroom affect.

It seems that both England and Ireland are blessed (NOT) with clampits for coaches.

So, that leaves us with Twickers and a dilema - if England win then we lose a failed and useless coach and if we win then O'Stagnant stays. God forgive me for what I am about to do now [:'(][:'(][:'(]

COME ON ENGLAND

Oh my God !!!!!!!!!!!!!! what have I done now. [;-)]

Not being much of a rugby pundit, although I do try to watch the six nations, the English rugby team seem to be suffering from the same problem as the football team.

Until they start playing no one knows exactly which team has turned up on the day!!!!!!!!!!!

There's something in that. We played for 40 minutes in the first game, 40 minutes in the second, a full 80 minutes in the third and for the fourth we simply didn't bother to turn up. [:(]

Hey Ulster

I reckon we'll dominate the first half against Ireland, then they'll wake up and dominate the second and the game will finish in a 15-15 draw. That way we can get rid of 'em both! [:D]

I actually think Ashton was right about Cipriani; but he has to resign. If I was a player on the fringes of England - like Sinbad - I'd be praying not to get picked as everybody would be expecting a miracle. Ashton had an opportunity to bring on players and he missed it. England have been terrible for several years with odd moments of brightness. These have given us false hope.

On a brighter note - well done Glaawwss!

plod  - I normally agree with what you post but I dont on the Cipriani one. From what I have read, he was in the night club for a very short period of time to give his mates match tickets and didnt take anything to drink. As I said, this is from what I have read in the media reports. In that case, Ashton has lost the plot. Boy wonder gets dropped for this trivial thing and this sends major negative vibes out to a squad which has had a horrible season thus far. Way to go Mr Motivator.

raindog fine offer but sorry. I need an Irish defeat and by a HUGE number to ensure that Comical O'Stagnant gets a sword given to him to fall on. For a laugh - follow this link. You'll need Real Player I think.

Mods - hope this doesnt breach any regs - if so - sorry. [;-)][;-)]

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/sixnations/2008/0308/irelandwales_av.html?2346746,null,228

Exactly how I read it although when chatting about it with my mates we all felt that perhaps it was a bit stupid for him to have gone in to give them the tickets what with the press being there and all. He might have been better off popping round in the morning or something and handing them over then. So given that he never had a drink it was a bit stupid of Ashton really. The question is of course would we have won with him. Personally the game would have been better but our loss was not just down to one player, one man perhaps, but not one player.

I read or heard on the TV perhaps that Cipriani played in the second half of the Wasps game (he was on the bench for the first half) but was sporting a black eye. Can anyone confirm this and give any idea how it happened?

[quote]The question is of course would we have won with him. Personally the game would have been better but our loss was not just down to one player, one man perhaps, but not one player.[/quote]

No Quillan is the answer but it would have a pretty serious affect on the mentality of the squad. To get the best from any team the coach and players need a special bond. Look at Gatland for example. By his total over reaction, Ashton has shown the players that there isnt one. So what else can you expect but 15 leaderless, dircetionless de-motivated headless chickens.

Mmmmm - thats Ireland too of course 

In my eyes, Ashton's handling of the "Cipriani affair" was a mistake.  I don't watch as much rugby as Ashton - but from what I saw Cipriani is the form English outside half.  It's hard to argue he'd have performed worse than Jonny.

If Cipriani had been warned what the consequences of late night antics would be ... and he proceeded to go out, then I  think Ashton would be justified in dropping him.  But to put thoses kind of restrictions on adult professionals is micro-management-madness.  If it affects his play and the cohesion of the team - drop him. If his personal life (time he goes to bed, how he treats his girlfriend, whether he bets on the horses etc) isn't negatively affecting his play: pick him (and maybe give him a fatherly talking to).

Ashton seems a nice guy but I feel his days are numbered.

I've been racking my brains trying to think of something to do when England next play, maybe find some paint to watch drying or perhaps some grass to watch growing. Maybe even pack some boxes so that I can then unpack them, anything to give spice to life  [:(]

Maybe things are moving at last.....

"A report in Tuesday's Guardian suggests, once again, that Jake

White is set to be brought in as England coach, this time in the wake

of England's disastrous Six Nations campaign.

The report, citing "sources at the RFU", says that an inquest

to be held post-tournament and conducted by Rob Andrew should be

concluded within two weeks of the Six Nations' completion, and will

point at the lack of forward direction in the England team since the

run that took them to the World Cup final in October."

I just think that you don't go anywhere near a night club a couple of days before your international debut; surely his brain was saying: "I ought not to be here". I imagine he has broken team discipline and Ashton had no alternative. (Read Brian Moore on this)

Balshaw did not have a bad game. It looks like Ashton has said to the team: "You cocked it up, you put it right." Having said that though he should have left Jonny in. I've said several times Ashton has missed an opportunity to blood young players. He will now have to do it on a tour of NZ!!

[quote user="plod"]

I just think that you don't go anywhere near a night club a couple of days before your international debut; surely his brain was saying: "I ought not to be here". I imagine he has broken team discipline and Ashton had no alternative. (Read Brian Moore on this)

[/quote]

Can't disagree with you on that, its exactly what I think. The problem was that Ashton assumed he had been drinking there, banned him and then discovered he had not had even a Coke but by then it was to late. Perhaps Ashton should have listened to the player and not the media.

[quote user="plod"]

Balshaw did not have a bad game. It looks like Ashton has said to the team: "You cocked it up, you put it right." Having said that though he should have left Jonny in. I've said several times Ashton has missed an opportunity to blood young players. He will now have to do it on a tour of NZ!!

[/quote]

JW has not been consistent for some time now including during the world cup. He is either fantastic or just plain dull, unimaginative and plays badly, something he seems to do more of these days. He normally manages to pull something out when threatened with being dropped, one only has to see his excellent performance against the French after being allegedly threatened over his previous game performance. Strangely Montgomery is the same, I watch him play regularly at Perpignan. Sometimes he just refuses to handle the ball or do anything with it but that's another story.

Come on guys - you are getting too feckin tied up in this. Plod says read Brian Moore on this - goodness me plod if I want info or insight Moore is the last numbnut I'd go to. Try reading Woodward on it instead and he blasts Ashton for it. And Moore - mother of God he has followed no rules ever in his bloody life why now does he grow angels wings.

Ashton made an arse of himself and thats it.

Re Wilkinson - lest you all forget - he got you to and won the 2003 RWC and he got you to and nealry won the 2007 RWC. The gameplan has been built around pack domination, forcing penalties and position for drop goals and Wilkinson collecting the 3 points. If the man doesnt suit your gameplane then he must step aside - the problem within the England camp is that the gameplan changes so many times with so many differing and inconsisten players that Wilkinson hasnt got a hope in hell. Put him out to pasture with a damn fine pension.

If, as it is now being rumoured that jake White will take over then God help us all. He will do wonders for you guys [:-(]

JW didn't have his greatest match against Scotland. (British understatement.) But who else did? The flair was lacking but he did manage to score England's only points.

Moore was criticising him almost from the off. I even suggested half-way through the first half that he was being so anti Wilkinson that he must have caught him messing around with Mrs M.

Mind you, before the sorry mess ended, I was being none too complimentary myself about any of the England team.

This calm, composed, stiff upper lip stuff from the management might be very English and traditional. But personally, I would like to see a lot more passion being displayed from the top down. We might still lose but at least it would LOOK as though we wanted to win.

[quote user="UlsterRugby1999"]

Re Wilkinson - lest you all forget - he got you to and won the 2003 RWC and he got you to and nealry won the 2007 RWC.

[/quote]

We haven't forgotten, but he doesn't seem to be half the player he was - and don't forget, he got an armchair ride behind Johnno and the other lads up front. Me granny could've played at 10 behind that pack. We also had Greenwood behind to open things up a bit - since he went there's been precious little ceativity at centre. Wilkinson always looked good in those days when England were winning - and we were winning most of the time - but as soon as we were on the back foot he always seemed a bit wobbly, even then.

I agree with plod about Cipriani - it's all a bit too bl00dy late now. Cipriani and Lewsey should have been starting matches right from the start of this year's 6N, then perhaps we wouldn't be in the mess we are.[:(] Now, if we lose on saturday, it could damage Cipriani's international career for some time to come.

Look what happened to Mathew Tait.

edit: hehe - just read this by Matt Dawson

"Will Greenwood's communication and understanding made the game easy for Jonny.

He could say "kick it there" or "give me the ball" - there was a

running commentary so he could execute the call, and Jonny was one of

the best executors of rugby skills around.

England need those types of player back - and pretty quickly."

My Dragon is blowing outside on my gate and the old neighbours are giving me funny looks again - but who cares?

The Chablis is chilling in the fridge and I shall be crying to the Welsh National anthem while my fellow countrymen sing it in Cardiff.  I'm on me todd but I will not feel alone but I will feel the Hiraeth!

Oggi, oggi, oggi!!!

The Grand Slam is ours!!!!!!!!!!![:)]