Rugby World Cup 3rd XV

Gardian

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Lou"]Perpignan were crap, the best team definitely won. Ho hum no semi in Montpellier then......

Lou
[/quote]

I hate to say this, being a USAP supporter and all, but your right. Still we went to see Carcassonne play last night, brilliant rugby (especially after watching USAP) and they won, up to Federal 1 next year then. We (Quillan) have their last home match today against Agde and if we win we go up to Federal 2. So a bumper weekend of rugby with the exception USAP.

As for LI they have to get their act together for the semi's because I don't think, based on their performance against USAP, that they will go further but I wish them well. 

I don't think that many of us Shedheads were that surprised by our defeat. We are short of grunt and muscle in the pack, especially second row. I hope we don't fold for the rest of the season. I didn't give USAP a chance, but neither did I Sarries. Ospreys seemed to think that they had a divine right to win the HC this season. I also think Toulouse are beatable and would now put Munster as favourites.

"The RFU has confirmed the appointment of Martin

Johnson, the World Cup-winning captain of 2003, as England's new team

manager from July 1 until December 31, 2011.

Johnson will have full managerial control of the England team,

including the appointment of the coaching and management team as well

as the player selection process."

from the Times

• 2 weeks later...
Toulouse are through to the Heineken Cup final!!!

A real nail-biter - heart in my mouth at the end when I was seriously worried that London Irish would snatch a last-minute try and steal it.

Have to say I was worried Toulouse wouldn't do it - we saw them against Clermont last week and they were shockingly BAD and of course hit by loads of injuries.

Allez Toulouse!! Can they now go all the way???!

Lou

(who now wishes she'd thrown caution to the wind and gone to Twickenham ........)

Are you French? Why would you want the English team to lose? I still think Toulouse can be a fragile side and that Munster will have the edge.

GP gets going again soon; I don't fancy our chances against Wasps but we should beat Bath at home. It's going to be very interesting to see who the last four are - Wasps, Gloucester, Bath and Quins? Leicester? Sale?

Hi Plod

I'm not French, I'm English, but support Toulouse as they are my local team!  Only really became interested in rugby recently, since we moved to France, since the World Cup.  Next year I shall be buying a season ticket for Toulouse. 

Besides - surely Munster are Irish not English anyway??!!

Lou

EDIT:  Have just realised when you siad English team you probably meant London Irish rather than Munster to come - well,ok, they are English - but they're half-Irish anyway - judging by the number of orange, white and green flags being waved around the ground on saturday!

I did mean London Irish, and as Munster beat Glaws I will be supporting Toulouse. I think Auch are well doomed, and Albi may just be clinging on as they lost to Dax on Saturday. I think they will struggle next year as Toulon will be in the Top 14 and they have massive spending power. By the way do you think Dan Carter will come to Toulouse? (£750,000 allegedly his wedge)

Yes Toulon will be in next year. Be interesting to watch their progress with all the spending power they have.

Final on the 24th should be a great game - Munster to take it I think - Toulouse's missed tackles last saturday almost cost them the match.

plod -  you surprise me. I had you down as a serious rugby follower but

[quote] as Munster beat Glaws I will be supporting Toulouse [/quote]

is pretty sad showing. Munster beat the Glaws because they wanted it more, had kept their foot on the pedal all season and because on the day, they were the better team (and that comes from a Shed Head).

Also, your other comment is even sadder

[quote]Are you French? Why would you want the English team to lose? [/quote]

I think you'll find that Lou simply supports Toulouse, and why not. They are generally a great team, have a great set-up down there and are amongst the most welcoming rugby supporters I have had the pleasure to stand amongst. What Lou isnt is someone who wants to jump on the I'm a Brit and I'll die a bloody Brit thing. She may well be a Brit but its the sport she follows. Thank God too. London Irish (or the Exiles as they are better known because they were originally NOT English) have had their best ever season in the Heiny and I'm sure that Brian Smith is a delighted man. I'm sure in his heart he knew they would most likely not progress passed Toulouse although he would hope against hope. The loss of Mike Catt and his thinking and tactical kicking would have hurt too. 

Munster will, most likely lose Declan Kidney as coach (he'll get the Irish job) and this is pretty common knowledge. If they had lost on Sunday the announcement would definitley have been made this week but the IRFU will possibly hold off now until the end of may so as to try and avoid any upset in the Munster camp. Like they dont know - dear me the fools.

I do think Munster will take it and it'll be down to the front 5 and O'Gara I believe. Either way, I hope its a good open game without some of the cynical stuff that Elissalde gets up to. Either way, I’ll have my Guinness in the fridge ready for the off.

[quote user="UlsterRugby1999"]

L I'm sure in his heart he knew they would most likely not progress passed Toulouse although he would hope against hope.

.[/quote]

They ran it pretty bloody close though. Great play and a good match to watch.

Hi raindog I didnt get to see it but I hear it was a pretty tight game. I have read Smiths views of the refs decisions and he is blaming everyone on the loss, press, media, Toulouse's mid week injury list announcements and everything. At the end of the day, they have had a brilliant year and the craic around Madejski stadium will be pretty class for a few weeks.

I just hope for a good game for the final and to see a lot of open rugby. The money backers might have other thoughts though.

I have an emotional connection to England which I doubt will ever diminish, and, I 'm afraid I would always want an English team to win over a French one (perhaps not Bath and Wasps!)

I think Magners' teams have a built-in advantage over Top 14 and GP sides. Their season is much less intense and they can prepare for the big games which, I think you will agree, are the H Cup games. The GP is extremely competitive and the opportunity for "easy" games is non-existent (with the exception this season of Leeds). Even the Top 14 has Auch and Dax, Albi possibly, as cannon fodder. The top sides never put out their "grosse équipe" against these sides. 

Yes plod - I'd noticed. Back on top of the GP again. That should keep you happy.

Sorry for the pop in my earlier post but I just think that rugby is beyond blind patriotism. Each to their own I guess but from where I come from blind patriotism has cost in excess of 4000 lives.

Rugby is a game played by and supported by folks who appreciate the opposition and actively support the entire entity within. Where someone comes from, what they do for a living and their religion GENERALLY dont matter. AS a passionate Irishman, I support Ireland for obvious reasons and Ulster for even more obvious reasons. After that, I support the game. I was the only one in my region (NW England & N.Ireland) for the company I worked for (which included many rugby playing colleagues) who had bet on England to win the RWC 2003. I hate all this guff. Its rugby and thats it.

Errrr - rant over [:$]