Rugby World Cup 3rd XV

Gardian

Interesting article in La Depeche today - after two rounds of the Top 14 some coaches are concerned that the ELVs favour the defending side. Also, three French refs are going to watch the first GP games to see how English refs interpret them. If there is a differnce of interpretation then the French are, apparently, likely to ask that the ELVs be "watered down" so that the French sides don't suffer in the European tournaments. There might be tears!

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote]Talking to a mate last night about The New Rules. If different nations are using different watered down versions, what's going to happen in the Heineken cup or the 6N for that matter? Which version will the reffs be reffing?Confused [8-)] [/quote]

The same as happens in the RWC raindog - the SH refs will referee using their version of the rules.

Long time no here guys. Hopefully I have time now for a wee yarn and a pint.

I saw the highlights and thought we could have won, perhaps should with one certain try missed that could have left us ahead 15 - 6 (with a conversion). Reading the Fans Forum though had me worried as they mostly felt we weren't competitive in the scrums and lineouts and got penalised too often. We'll just have to wait and see.

Ah plod Fans Forums are dangerous places also. 2 million opinions about the same thing.

What upset me about the Tigers win was that you guys let the lazy queen (one Mr Geordan - I cant pass to the wing - Murphy) score a try that made him look good. Aaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh. He's about as much use as an ashtray on a Honda step thru 50.

Then with a new SHED and a new hooker - sure you'll not want to know us poor folk. [;-)]

A couple of weekends ago I watched USAP beat Brive quite convincingly and USAP played well. Brive then went to play Toulon who could only hold them to a 3 all draw. In the meantime I watched USAP loose to Stade Français, USAP where just totally outplayed, the Stade gave everyone the opportunity to see a lesson in rugby at its best, its a funny old game and there are some things you just can't take for granted.

By the way this is some funny speaking Italian chap I bumped in to at the Stade game.

[IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q99/ckenway/Rugby/Me.jpg[/IMG]

• 2 weeks later...
Well, they did - but the wonder-boy wasn't playing...... apart from Toulouse's own in the shape of Byron Kelleher of course!

A good result for Toulouse but not a brilliant match - lots of mistakes on both sides I think.

As for the new rules.... I never really understood the old ones so I'm not sure it makes much difference to me!

Lou

A bit tangential, but I thought some might be interested to know that Lawrence Dallaglio is doing a bike ride in the Pyrenees this week, with other cyclists. Today (I think) Bagnères-de-Luchon to Oust. Tomorrow Oust to Aix les Thermes. Finishing on Friday at Banyuls.

He's raising money for Bliss, the charity for premature babies. Pat.

• 2 weeks later...
Who do you fancy dor the HCup then? Toulouse must be odds on; Wales (I mean Ospreys) should do well, but Quins showed that they are vulnerable. And Glaws, they haven't exactly filled me with confidence yet but we have a reasonably easy group.

This plod bloke knows what he's talking about - is there anybody out there? Most results went to form except Sale's extraordinary victory. Bath should have beaten Toulouse but the bonus point might enable them to have a home quarter-final draw. It might be a very open HCup year. Always makes me smile watching this competition on French TV. Reminds me of the story about soldiers in the Falklands who thought the locals were a bit slow, so they called them "Bennies" after the character in Crossroads. When the senior officers found out they were banned from so doing, so they called them "stills" (still Bennies) Everybody knows what the H stands for!

Evening plod (he who knows what hes tawkin about) - I dont think this years Heiny is a clear cut thing. With all the imports and so on there will be more Sale type upsets. MUnster will fall on their own sword for example. They showed this weekend how dark it is where their heads are!!!!

I actually suspect that it'll be a French side and possibly Toulouse or Stade Francais. The Glaws are always a decent 1/2 outside bet and Tigers. Quins and Ospreys are all worth a punt but................

ULSTER for the cup - Stand Up For The Ulstermen - Stand Up For The Ulstermen

God I wish ...............

Was at the match yesterday - Toulouse's performance yesterday was hardly inspiring - I don't think they deserved to win, Bath were attacking far more and far more convincingly, it wouldn'ty surprise me at all if they win at home against Toulouse.  Toulouse looked like they had no game plan, a team of individuals, who made SO MANY errors, wish I had a euro for everytime they dropped the ball.  Every report has focussed on the last-second kick by Skrela and glossed over the rest of the match.  Emotions were high but can't say I agreed at all with the booing from Toulouse fans when Butch James (how can he live with that absurd name??) was lining up to kick.

The (French) commentary behind us ranged from "send Skrela back to Paris" when he missed a kick, to "Skrela is a true Toulousain" when he got it through the posts......!

Lou

Lou, did you see the Bath number 10 get pulled down whilst in mid air when he was almost on the try line? The tv commentators were worried about a red card against Toulouse but the ref just treated it as a normal knock-on - amazing. Yes, Toulouse looked pretty ordinary and were lucky to win that.

Exciting game to watch though [:D]

Poor auld ref's. They are damned if they do and damned if they dont. Shame on you raindog  [;-)]

I went to Toulouse in Jan last year for the Ulster match (the infamous match when Brennan came into the crowd and smashed the jaw of an Ulster supporter) and I must say that the atmosphere inside the stade was superb. The banter between supporters was excellent and the appreciation of opposition play was great too. We had a brilliant weekend there (despite the above mentioned episode).

Time will tell, but I still believe it'll be down to the old favourites as always.

Ulster, did you see your lads play on saturday? Terrible to see them on Stade's tryline for 15 minutes at the end of the first half and come away with nothing. Heartbreaking really.

Stade haven't lost a game yet this season.

Hope everyone noticed Montpellier's win over Bristol.