Rugby World Cup 3rd XV

Gardian

That is a shame for him, and for Ireland. But rugby is a game that can wreck you physically. I have an uncle who played professionally and in his old age he could hardly walk. He sort of wobbled from his knees, which bent under him. How is Bill Beaumont these days? He had to retire on health grounds.

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye - sadly this is the down side of the beautiful game. But it doesnt take away the loss of Simon Best for us.

Anyway - the 6N's is wide open and I feel a few more (rubbish - a load more) Guinness coming on and some great rugby (despite what I might have felt pre the 1st games).

Oh - and another wee win for the Glaws - Falcons dispensed with.

First Balshaw - I thought he had some undeserved stick to start with but against France he did look wobbly and Ashton should move him aside. Is Lewsey the answer? I'm not sure. He can't kick and he isn't an incisive runner; he can tackle and catch the high ball. Lievremont has made another host of changes; I don't think this can be helpful, but they've got Jauzion back now.

All the top sides in the Premiership are wobbling now, Sarries have lost it worse than us. It should be an interesting run-in to the last weeks.

Ireland to beat Wales?

Woops plod - another wee narrow defeat by the Glaws. Still top of the GP but its getting shakey in there.

Wee win for Ulster (thats me lads) against the Scarlets. 20 - 8 in Belfast. Twud have been a great night during the game and, of course, after the game too [:D][:D]

Some craic next weekend - I agree with plod  Wales will start to have serious games to play and I think their honeymoon is over. The Ospreys (sorry Welsh) team are tired and havent been pushed yet and the Irish lads are still on a mission to prove themselves. England to easily take the Calcutta and France to get a scrapy win

Just got our tickets for the Toulouse-Cardiff quarter final!  Released online this morning via the Toulouse website, took an hour to get on and do the deed - it's now showing as sold out, though I think they have retained some to sell at the ticket office at the Stade from tomorrow.

15 euors each - what a bargain! Allez Toulousain!

an excited Lou

EDIT - euors are even cheaper than euros you know.....

I hope it's a good game - do you think Cardiff are in with a chance? Not on paper I would have thought. We are still top but can we stay there? Very big game against Irish tomorrow. Isn't Cipriani a silly boy?

Goodness me - a wee bit of a storm in a tea cup. According to McGeehan he wasnt there for long and didnt take any drink. I'd say a wee bit over the top.

Guinness in the fridge - pizzas at the ready and Staurday is booked in front of the TV. Looking good. Bring on the Welsh - [B][:D][B][:D]

[quote user="Ian"]What price a France - Wales Grand Slam decider, 15th March at the millenium stadium .... and if so what price a ticket?

[/quote]

[:D][:D] Now there's lovely for you isn't it!!!

[quote user="PeterG"]I've noticed that there no new post regarding this afternoons games. Is it because they were two of the most dreary games I  have ever been unfortunate to watch? Discuss [/quote]

I was happy to see Wales win, if only just. During the match we commented on its level of "boredom", little did we know that the England - Scotland game would seriously define "boredom".

Never have I seen such a scrappy, boreing and basically rubbish match. Scotland deserved to win only because England deserved to lose, the England performance was absolutely appalling, Scotland were "less" appalling.

Basically we wasted 160mins of our weekend.

Well done Wales.

I think the England game gave a new, higher, meaning to boring. Scotland were no good but England...... well what can you say. Should JW go, I have thought so since the world cup (as I have said before many times - nothing personal, he's just not that good). When he is good he is magnificent, the problem is that he is so inconsistent and his bad far out ways his good. No effort was made by him to place the ball in any useful position. It was like watching beginners school rugby. Some may argue he played badly because he never got the ball, I disagree. The only good thing that may come out of this it that Ashton may go although he seems to be rather adept at hanging on by his teeth. I rather hope he takes Rob Andrews with him. Thought our backs were good. Scotland may well be happy with the result but they should dwell on the fact they were playing a third (or more) rate team. England - A national disgrace.

The 6Ns is just a nationalistic orgy and, like the world cup, doesn't necessarily showcase "good" rugby.

As we've already said on this thread, if you want to see exciting games watch the Heineken cup NOT the 6Ns. [:D]

Having said that, surely it's time to Get Rid Of Ashton?

edit: ha! i've just read this in the Times

"

Frankly Brian Ashton was caught in the same headlights. For him to leave

Wilkinson on for 70 minutes and Lesley Vainikolo on for the whole match

suggests that he is struggling to become the hard man he would like to be.

His choice of Wilkinson and Toby Flood in midfield has been ridiculous for a

long time, and he has left Sackey totally bereft of allies in the back three."

Yes it was most uninspiring. And even from a female point of view, I think Ashton is dozey (page 1 of this thread.)  As for exciting matches, dare I mention Rugby League? We watch a lot as husband lived in Hull most of his life and played for one of the teams for a while. We lived near the old Hull FC pitch at the Boulevard.

Agree with everything said about yesterday's 2 matches.  England were simply awful, in one of the worst Internationals I've ever seen.  The forwards must have neckache today from watching the ball go back and forth over their heads - at one stage, they weren't even bothering to move.

What a great result for Scotland yesterday, did anyone see it ??????? England played badly i think because Scotland did not let them play....even though England must have fielded a strong team because they still had a chance if winning something, still the Calcutta cup will do us, even though we are rubbish !!!!

And before i get slated for knowing nothing about rugby then save it for someone who cares, because you are right, i know precious little about the game but i am proud to be Scottish, win, lose or draw i still support my country's efforts.

[quote user="sharkhunter"]

Sorry raindog, it was meant tongue in cheek after reading that the only reason Scotland won was because England were dire and as such made the result unworthy. [:D]

[/quote]

Ah, got you........mind you, England WERE dire! [:D]