Rugby World Cup 3rd XV

Gardian

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you watch the match plod? I was very disappointed. I thought niether team were up to much. I wanted Clermont to win as I think they have a great style of of playing, and I have a mate from there who supports them. There were phases of play where both teams were just lobbing (couldn't really call it passing) the ball into the air hoping someone would catch it, and they often did, but it was someone from the opposite team. Just a big bloody mess. Toulouse seem to be developing a new style of play since their defeat by Munster - grind 'em down [:)]

I didn't see it and feel sorry for Clermont who, I think, have now had nine finals and nine defeats. Makes Glaws seem positively agreeable with three finals and three defeats. The French season just goes on and on and it must have been unbearably hot for rugby.

I met a few car fulls of Toulouse supporters in a station on the A20 on Sunday. They were very much exhausted but I rather suspect it was different reasons [;-)]

Perhaps if the French RFU got its act together and could control the game here in France, then they could force the financiers to reduce the number of games and the length of their season and this might have a positive impact on the French national teams results. But then again ..............

Whats your views on Martin Johnston as he steps into the light today (along with the new contract between the national team and the Premiership)? Will he make sweeping changes, subtle ones and will he make a difference?

I hope Johnno makes a go of it, and let's face it, as a leader he's second to none. But I can't help feeling pessimistic as he's never had coaching or selection experience on any level whatsoever let alone for an international squad. His first job will be to appoint a bloody good attack coach.

At the moment, I'm more interested in knowing when Rob Andrew will be asked to leave, especially after this last farce in Oz. He says he's not responsible, if that's true, then what the hell is he responsible for?

I'm a bit concerned that he will be seen as the great Messiah who will lead us out of the wilderness into thrashing the All Blacks. The national game needs a big overhaul and I hope he is the man to do it. He obviously had something as a player and captain but his role is so different now. The elite 32 looks reasonable, he's obviously not bothered about dumping players who may be past their best - Tindall, Kay and Worsley.

Very much along the lines of my own thinking plod.

IT looks like the the big 3 are getting back into full swing. Australia giving France a dumping while the All Blacks show just how much they under performed in the RWC by out playing the Boks.

I think we all have a long way to go before we can become serious contenders in the world of rugby but the key thing for me is that most of us have the ability we just need to bolt it all together.

• 1 month later...
Absolutely Plod - I am going to Toulouse on Monday to pick up my season ticket for Stade Toulousain ....... hoping they have an even better season than last and carry off the Heineken Cup as well!!

First home match 30th August - excuse my ignorance, I assume the UK season starts at the same time?

By the by, the season ticket cost seemed a bit of a bargain to me - although single ticket prices aren't exactly expensive anyway - last season for "behind the post" seats (virage in French but don't know what they call it in English!) we were only paying 10-12 euros a go.  We've paid 275 euros for a couple, 16 home matches.

Lou

Yes, they've had two friendlies - and won both, a good omen maybe?

They still have one or two concerns with injuries - though Vincent Clerc apparently was up and running this week so is well on the mend though will miss the first matches at least.

New signing Skrela is out at the mo though not serious.  Byron Kelleher (who excites the French girls no end from what I've seen and heard at the matches!) has signed up this week til 2011.

It's exciting!

Lou

Do you not find the Top 14 a bit predictable with ony about 5 teams in with any chance of making the play-offs? There are the really big boys with vast amounts of cash and then the others whose only interest, it seems to me, is to avoid relegation. Mind you, the GP is also a bit predictable with Wasps (curse them) winning again last season. I wish Toulouse well, at least they aren't in Gloucester's pool for the Heineken.

I agree Plod, but isn't that really the case for most competitive sports?  I think it's just the same sad fact that those teams/sponsors with the most money can command the best players, coaches, facilities etc etc.  The smaller teams don't really stand a chance, every time they get a decent player, coach etc they're poached by a "better" team who can offer more money, better opportunities - not that you can blame the players involved - we've all moved jobs for more money, haven't we.

A sad fact of life I suppose....

Lou

The GP is a bit more unpredictable and last year nearly everybody ( Leeds excepted) was capable of beating nearly everybody else. The Footy is, as you rightly say, little more than a (probably) three horse race unless Liverpool can find something.

• 2 weeks later...
winning 13-8 at half time - Comeooonnnnnn!

16-11 in the end. Sorry Lou, but Montpel really needed that match to get their season off the ground.

Looks as if it's going to take a while before the teams get used to the new rules.

edit:

blimey Toulon beat Clermont 22-16 - what an opening night [8-)]

Toulon look to be the Man City (a couple of days ago I would have said Chelsea!) of rugby and are said to be after Johnny. How on earth did they have a 3-3 with Brive? Must have been too hot to play. What do you think about the ELVs? Not long to go now - c'mon Glaawwss!

" Didier

Mené, once an international-panel referee, awarded 27 penalties and blew for

37 scrums, leaving players of both teams uncertain as to what they should be

doing at the breakdown."

Could be the reason for such a poor match.

Some teams seem to be adapting better than others but it's going to be a big mess for a while. Should've left well alone instead of pandering to the Aussies.

Looks like Goode had one of his famous off days for his new club Brive.

Read the other day that there are 207 foreign players in the Top14!!! Works out at an average of 15 for each squad. Brive and Toulon barely have a French guy between them.

I think the tackle area will cause problems with players not knowing what they can and can't do. I don't know about this area but the other variations seem straightforward. The new law for the maul looks interesting and I wonder if the "rolling maul" will become extinct.