Le Tour - how soon to arrive to get a good view?

This year the tour is passing through the village next to us,  so it seems logical to go along and see it, if only to say "we was there!".  So, how soon is it sensible to arrive - and other tips.  The caravanne is scheduled to arrive about lunch time, with the timing of the cyclists about an hour or so later.  Will not be able to get hubby to wait around for ever, but I am small, so like to be able to see over the heads if poss.  There are no hills - it's a bit flat round here!

Any advice gratefully rec'd.  Ta.

2007 they were in this area.... We thought we would drive into Perigueux around 9:00 for a quick shop before the TDF which was scheduled to come through around 15:00...... 

The grass verges were packed with people and everyone was set up with their picnic tables and chairs ready for a day out [:-))]

I think the secret is - Get there early and treat it like a day at the beach - take your table/chairs/umbrella/picnic/drinks and enjoy the atmosphere as much as the cycles

Hi Judith

Partly it depends on how you're going to access your "spot" - the gendarmes will close the road the Tour comes along potentially up to several hours beforehand. If you've got side roads you can use and you choose a relatively "unpopular" spot then just before the caravane could be ok.

Otherwise you could be looking at getting there a few hours before to stake out your place. If the weathers good - take a picnic, a hat ad a book and relax and chat to the neighbours while you wait.....in my opinion (having seen at least one stage every year for the last 5 or 6 years!) it's definitely worth the wait - a real event.

Regards Lou

Thanks everyone.  The newspapers today have been quite helpful as to what is happening when, and today I passed a sign saying the road will be closed etc etc.  So all that remains is to decide where we are going to go where there may not be too many people (!!!!), so we can get as good a view as is possible.

I think you've had some good advice - treat it as a cross between a day on the beach ( flat stage) and a pop concert ( mountain stage finish)...and if you ever get the chance to attend one the latter do it , the mountain stages are really, really special, be aware the Gendarmes sometimes close the road the previous day.

Anyhow, great event, not to be missed...all we've got to do now is get Cav over the mountains in one piece and all the way to Paris....

Well, we've just got back from out day out.  An interesting experience, but one we probably won't bother to repeat!  We arrived in good time, to do a recce and chose our spot, not too far out of the town, just after the level crossing, and up a slight incline, and near road humps (which incidentally were one of the highlights - not that the cyclists had any problem with them, but the cars did!!)  We took a picnic, and found a seat and I read my book, and we watched the developments. 

The level crossing caused the caravanne to come along in fits and starts (it was very entertaining to see how many times the barrier came down - and we wondered what would happen - would the train stop for the tour or the tour stop for the trains!!!).  We thought there were rather more support vehicles than riders, espeically when the first posse of riders (perhaps 5) came through - well ahead of the rest of the field, but they were so completely surrounded by gendarmes, support vehicles and such that it did not feel like a cycle race at all.

Then the rest of the cyclists whent through in once big group, again almost completely surrounded by hangers on (and the road was only just big enough for one car!!!). It must be said that the helicopter taking photos was more entertaining than the cyclists!.

In retrospect, we got there a little too early, but we did chose a reasonably good spot, it was not too crowded, and we did see the cyclists as a blur as they sped past.  Without the caravanne it would have been a non event however.  I've come back with a bit of sunburn, a couple of free hats and a bag, and the free bottle of water was useful (though we'd taken our own of course).  And though you will see more on the TV, I can now say, " I was there".

Sounds like the norm "on the flat" Tour spectator experience....personally if time off work allows ( and sadly it doesn't this year, *****!!!) then like many others we'll travel across half of France and camp out for days if it's somewhere like the Tourmalet or Ventoux....that's where you really do need to be get the real Tour atmosphere but I'll freely admit you need to be "into" your cycling to commit that amount of time.......then again I wouldn't walk down the road to watch the Open or Formula 1 - each to their own I guess...

The Antargaz part of the caravane was parked in St Cere (north 46)  this morning and had probably been there overnight. Not sure that this is on a direct route from Tarbes to Limoges so maybe they were all visiting someone's auntie ?

John 

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]We saw it arrive at Issoudun last Tuesday and despite getting there about 2 hours before the race ended and it being Bastille Day, we were only 300 - 400m from the finish line and got a very good view of the last corner, although disappointingly there were no crashes.

Here's my write up and pics of the day if you're interested.

[/quote]

I was in Issoudun at 11 in the morning last Tuesday, there were already people installed with picnic tables and chairs near the finish line even then! They were in for a long wait. What is even more amazing is how quickly the whole thing is dismantled, about 3 hours, and the streets are being cleaned of all the plastic water bottles.

FairyNuff

[quote user="DerekJ"][quote user="LyndaandRichard"] although disappointingly there were no crashes.

[/quote]

Not trying to be prissy about it but do you really enjoy seeing these guys injuring themselves?

[/quote]

agree - unbelievable attitude

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"] we were only 300 - 400m from the finish line and got a very good view of the last corner, although disappointingly there were no crashes.

[/quote]

I wonder if anyone might get the same feeling of disappointment whenever you overtake them in your car.

Snuff movies anyone?

What I really can't understand is why the idiots running out from the crowds in front of the cyclists, waving flags and worse, are allowed to get away with it.

Why don't some burly gendarme or similar wrestle them to the ground and thump them?

[quote user="raindog"][quote user="DerekJ"][quote user="LyndaandRichard"] although disappointingly there were no crashes.

[/quote]

Not trying to be prissy about it but do you really enjoy seeing these guys injuring themselves?

[/quote]

agree - unbelievable attitude

[/quote]

It was a tongue in cheek comment. No harm done.

Someone told me about your comment, so outrageous news of it spread.  You repeated it TWICE in the blog report you wrote.  You say "no harm done", and that is true.  You didn't actually cause a crash just so you could have a bit of excitement.  Sounds like you picked your spot for that though.  Of course you are not alone, there are many people who anticipate the pleasure or thrill of a car crash on a dangerous curve, a hurdler who trips over a hurdle, a skier who misses a flag and flies into the fences.  But let me be direct, as a cyclist, a car driver and (maybe) a slightly thoughtful human being,  if I ever pass your house (and of course I have no idea who you are or where you live), I shall spit in your drive, and if I have the courage, cut some of your flowers.  I am  not a violent person, but comments like yours are really sad.  The fact that you brush it off with a "no harm done" and blithely go on thinking like you do is worse than sad.  How about a little apology for having such casual thoughts about crashes?   A humble admission that it was over the top, out of order.  You might not know this, but if you looks carefully on YouTube, you will be able to find many replays of cyclists crashing.  Since you missed the crashes you appear to desire in the Tour live, perhaps you might like to look at the aftermath of the crash that killed Fabio Casartelli.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH1zMxGwJJ0   Sorry there is no footage of the actual crash.  The commentary is in French, but maybe you can understand it.  Look at the faces, look at the eyes.  I am not totally sure that they have live footage of the woman spectator being killed this year by walking across the road at a bad time.  But maybe you can find some other things to satisfy your need for crashes and injury.  I just didn't believe it when I was told about your comment, both on this forum and twice in your blog.  I just fumed, and now you know what I think.  Not that it will matter.  But it helps me a bit.  Do you actually have any freinds who cycle?  Most of them will have crashed at least once.  It goes with cycling.  Tell them how you look forward to the crashes and are a bit disappointed that none happened at your chosen spot.  See what their reaction is.

[quote user="Tandem_Pilot"][quote user="sweet 17"]Actually, someone did fall today.  It was painful just WATCHING![/quote]

Jens Voight - fracture of the cheekbone & concussion [:(] - he was descending at about 50mph when the bike hit something in the road and the front wheel slipped away.

http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=15263

[/quote]

Hi T-P, thanks for that update.  It was good to know what happened.  I'm not sufficiently "into" the tour to know names and contenders in detail but I did see Jens on the TV just lying there on the road after he had fallen.

He made no effort to get up and so I knew he must have been badly hurt.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

He made no effort to get up and so I knew he must have been badly hurt.

[/quote]

It is astonishing how so many do manage to get up - and even get back on their bikes, even when they are badly hurt (busted clavicle, etc). So yes, when someone stays on the ground, you know it must be serious. Can you imagine bombing downhill at 80 or even 100k per hour?.[:-))]

Go Schleck Brothers !!!

Great effort by them both yesterday.  I hope they hold on to their positions but not very likely as its the individual time trial today and that's their weakest area.  Still, a great achievement and the Lux newspapers are full of it as you might expect.

A short time before the Tour I saw them out on a training run.  I was in my car doing a steady 50 and they came past me like I was going backwards.  They then went straight through a red light and the copper who happened to be sitting on his motorbike just gave them a cheery wave!

[quote user="5-element"]

Can you imagine bombing downhill at 80 or even 100k per hour?.[:-))]

[/quote]

Just got back from a short run on my road bike - 37.5mph / 60kph for about 200 metres downhill was quite fast enough for me - never mind 20+km on the Col de la Colombiere [:-))]