Healthcare for early retirees

A friend emailed me with an article from Connexions about the EU forcing the French government to reverse the changes made in 2007, i.e. you need fully comprehensive private insurance.

The Connexions article quotes Cooperlola who has been spearheading a campaign against the changes and, in 2007 the more urgent need of those already resident in France who were about to be thrown out of the system which her and her group won.

I have looked at the Health section and there is a thread running on this - the final statement from the government is still awaited.

Our dilemma now starts. It was our intention to move permanently to France when I am 60 (just 9 months to go, wishing my life away). Because of the change we would need to keep UK resident status as I have a couple of conditions which, as normal, insurance companies will not cover. So we have found where we want to live in the UK, a very quiet seaside place to compliment our French house which is midway between the Atlantic and Med with wonderful countryside views including a panoramic view of the Pyrenees. Now we have to decide whether to revert to Plan A or go with Plan B.

Fortunately, we did not accept an offer on our house some weeks back otherwise we could well have exchanged on a house in the UK.

Time for some very intense debating so as we make what we think is the right decision.

My thanks to Coops and her team for getting us in the predicament [:D]

Paul

[quote user="PaulT"]

A friend emailed me with an article from Connexions about the EU forcing the French government to reverse the changes made in 2007, i.e. you need fully comprehensive private insurance.

The Connexions article quotes Cooperlola who has been spearheading a campaign against the changes and, in 2007 the more urgent need of those already resident in France who were about to be thrown out of the system which her and her group won.

I have looked at the Health section and there is a thread running on this - the final statement from the government is still awaited.

Our dilemma now starts. It was our intention to move permanently to France when I am 60 (just 9 months to go, wishing my life away). Because of the change we would need to keep UK resident status as I have a couple of conditions which, as normal, insurance companies will not cover. So we have found where we want to live in the UK, a very quiet seaside place to compliment our French house which is midway between the Atlantic and Med with wonderful countryside views including a panoramic view of the Pyrenees. Now we have to decide whether to revert to Plan A or go with Plan B.

Fortunately, we did not accept an offer on our house some weeks back otherwise we could well have exchanged on a house in the UK.

Time for some very intense debating so as we make what we think is the right decision.

My thanks to Coops and her team for getting us in the predicament [:D]

Paul

[/quote]

There are actually two threads, I seem to recollect contributing to the second thread including a link to a pdf file of the French Government Circular.

Or do you mean the froglets have changed their minds, yet again, and Fillon has decided to ban the 14th july Military Parade and nominate Eva Joly for the next Marianne![8-)]

You need to read the French document, and not rely on English language sources which are often unreliable.

In the .pdf file it is clear that individual cases will be looked at closely . Any suspicion of people moving to France expressly for health care, who would be a burden on the State will not be welcomed.

Don't do anything on the basis of that article alone.

[quote user="NormanH"]
Don't do anything on the basis of that article alone.
[/quote]

Hear, hear. The Connexion has a little bit of a reputation for getting things wrong. I am minded of one article about five or six years ago when they said there was a new law that said you didn't have to register your UK car in France i.e. change the registration plates for French ones. Fortunately they also printed the law reference number which turned out was to do with the trailers for articulated lorries.

Coops old website is pretty good and has links to the respective laws on the French government website http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/ which now has some stuff translated in to English and Spanish. Always, and I mean always, check there. If your French is not up to scratch then install the Google Toolbar which translates in to English 'on the fly', not perfect I know but it's enough to allow you get a basic understanding.

Thanks for the warnings - and I would always thoroughly check out in detail before committing.

However, I am reliably informed that we have decided that we will go with the seaside place in the UK and the French house - boy is it easy to make decisions when you are not involved [:D]

But I do hope that it does enable others who want to move permanently to do so

Paul

The French will probably comply on paper, but be obstructive as they can in practice towards foreign early retirees wanting to join the French healthcare system. Probably, by trying to assess some outlandish level of contribution requirements based on the value of your capital including house rather than income!

[quote user="Sprogster"]The French will probably comply on paper, but be obstructive as they can in practice towards foreign early retirees wanting to join the French healthcare system. Probably, by trying to assess some outlandish level of contribution requirements based on the value of your capital including house rather than income![/quote]

This is already happening to French eary retirees- I read a post on one forum of someone who had sold a business to retire early and was assessed for CMU and asked to pay 6000 euros per quarter!

Info here if anyone is interested

http://experts-univers.com/base-de-cotisation-cmu.html

Well, there is nothing in the French proposal which suggests that they have complied, merely that individuals will be evaluated on a case by case basis, thus leaving it open for those with long term health problems to be refused entry to CMU and therefore to be unable to live in France as they will be unable to get health cover.

So the problem is-what do we do now? Due to circumstances beyond our control we only have cover from our NI payments until Jan 2012. We are early retirees. Do we still take out full health insurance as we had planned or not? We have not paid any taxes here in France as yet as we have not been here for a year yet.

Anyone have any advice as what is the best thing to do?

Mac, have you completed this year's impots/tax forms? That will prove you are resident here, and that you 'intend' to pay taxes. This is our first year here as well and our S1/E106 runs out Dec.31st 2011!

Fingers crossed we can keep in the system.

For Mac (sorry having problems again with the quote button)

Keep an eye on this page from the AMELI website. The latest information posted is from June this year and still refers to the previous rules regarding "inactifs".

http://www.ameli.fr/assures/soins-et-remboursements/cmu-et-complementaires-sante/cmu-de-base-une-assurance-maladie-pour-tous/les-conditions-pour-en-beneficier_manche.php

I would hope that in the next few months there would be an update to reflect the latest changes.

If there has been no change by November, it may be worth contacting the English speaking helpline to see if they have any advice

http://www.ameli.fr/assures/votre-caisse-manche/nous-contacter/contact-our-french-health-insurance_manche.php