How to obtain a legalised translation of a birth certificate?

Daft Doctor

[quote user="LaBouche"]If you already have a pension scheme in the UK then you can tell them to take a hike. Under European law ANY pension scheme from within the EU is acceptable and is all you need. Just keep telling them that. We did. Eventually after two years of asking us to provide documents that do not exist outside France they gave up. This was 9 years ago. The French seem to think that the documents they issue are also issued by all countries around the world....you have to stand up to them and explain this is not so. There is a point where you have to say 'Non, c'est impossible'.
[/quote]

If you have a pension scheme in the UK, tell them to take a hike? I really thought that if someone was working in France and a french resident, they had to start paying into the french pension scheme. How could it be a choice?

I agree that some of the french paperwork doesn't exist in say the UK. Stand up to them? Well tell them, yes, ofcourse, but they may be perplexed and uncomfortable, but they do 'get it'.   When I first got to France my very simple french 'ça, ça n'existe pas en Angleterre' always worked.

• 4 months later...

Could you point me to the government site that says that birth certificates don't need to be legalised?

Someone will have to do a bit of research.

I recall reading on this forum some years ago that both France and the UK are among a number of countries which signed a Hague Convention of - I think - 1947 which states that all signatories will accept each others official documents without translation.

Who knows!  [6]

• 9 months later...

Just found this after searching for information about sworn translations.  Harmonie Mutuelle/RSI are asking for our marriage certificate to be translated into French - please can anyone give me the correct French expressions to reply to them, politely pointing out this EU ruling?  I don't want to upset them by telling them how to do their job!!!  Thank you.

Chipping in at the end of the OP, we had all our docs done by an approved translator who lives in our village for our nationality application. This included my wife's parents birth certificates sent down from Scotland. Completely illegible, we made up what we thought it said (registrars name from a signature?) typed up our version, she translated it. Accuracy?? but it had the all important stamp so job done (afer we paid of course...)

Other than Andy's link..which is great, BTW, and in sufficiently complex BS language to baffle the average fonctionnaire into submission, there's also this little gem which suggests that the EU proper is about to address the whole issue once and for all. Leaving the question "When?" ringing in everyone's ears. To which I guess the answer is "eventually".

[url]http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-13-370_en.htm[/url]

[quote user="NormanH"]Has anybody successfully argued that a translation isn't needed  from the document in andy's link above?
[/quote]

I persuaded CPAM that they did not need legalisation, but they did not accept that a translation was not required. 

Halfway house, but at least a saving of 140€

Cannot be bothered to go back over this thread, we were told we needed to get official copies. Cost a fortune, but we did it and still have them.

Frankly, it does not seem unreasonable to me for another country to ask for these things in their own language......... IF one is applying to join in with government services............. say the health service etc.

Why the fuss, we chose to move to another country and then have the orgeuil to  play the 'my 'paperwork' should be legal in another country even if they cannot understand it, OR that country pay for a translator.

These things do annoy me! Too much of 'my' money gets wasted in the UK, as 'we' appear to pay for far too many translations. The UK, things should only be in english, welsh, scottish or iris.............. nothing else!

I've still got an official translation of my birth certificate that I had to get done in 1976. I've often thought that I'd like to test the waters and find out if it'll still "work". Last time someone wanted a copy of any of my certificates it was La Poste wanting to see my marriage certificate before they'd let me open an account. I simply didn't open an account. After pointing out to them that I wasn't in the habit of carting it along with me on holiday.