La Tour 2013

I'm quite surprised there hasn't been much discussion of La Tour as in previous years.

Chris Froome is in yellow for heavens sake!  We haven't had a Brit in yellow since .... well last year [:$]  but it's still something to crow about.  And what about Cav  missing out on Yellow due to a Numpty bus driver?

So much stuff going on and it doesn't even seem to feature on the BBC sports pages except in 'Other Sports'

Thank goodness for the coverage on ITV4

I have been following it here of course, and it is true that the UK press are so excited about Andy Murray that apart from a reasonable coverage in the Guardian there has not been much said.

This Forum is also becoming more and more about the UK.

recent threads are about things such as overcrowding in NHS A&E

Wimbledon

Channel 4 broadcasting the call to prayer

none of which are of much interest to Francophiles.

I'm a francophile and I'm quite interested in all of the above. I think you have to come around, Norman, to understanding that being directly affected by what is going on in the UK (and interested in discussing it) and being a francophile aren't mutually exclusive.

(I'm also interested in the TdF. The Times and Telegraph are also covering it quite extensively, but of course, they're not the Guardian. And there are a couple of good Apps for Android and I-phone/pad, too)

I'm in France and following the TdF online and in French newspapers. It's true that I'm not quite as excited as last year, when it passed by our apartment block, with Bradley Wiggins in front, photo taken on my camera right in front of our home - but I follow it every year. If in UK, I watch on TV.

[quote user="Loiseau"]Sorry to be picky, Pierre, but is there any chance of your amending the thread title to LE Tour?! At first I thought it must be about some new tower that was being opened this year... ;-) Angela[/quote]  [:D]

Been watching the extensive cover of le tour on FR2/FR3. As always the "extras" such as the local agricultural displays, beautiful scenery and information on the chateaux and churches as they are passed-by add to what may otherwise be just a bike race to the casual viewer. Interested to note just how many union jack flags being waved by the roadside fans so the spectacle is obviously popular with British locals or tourists. Having visited much of France it's always pleasant to "revisit", on tv, places we have been; especially looking forward to the stage which finishes on Mont Ventoux next Sunday.  Hopefully the other GC riders will take the race to Chris Froome and not just settle for fighting over the minor placings.

Brian (again)

OK I can take a hint, I think I've changed it now.

So, spectacular scenery (long time since I've been to Mont St Michel but it still looks good) Chris Froome extends his lead and the BBC at last has a TdF on the main sports page [:D]

Some flat-ish stages coming up for the sprinters so perhaps Cav can get back in for more stage wins.

EDIT:  Nope, still showing La not Le

Hmmm, shows "le" OK for me.

Mont St Michel looked spectacular. It's some years since we were there but then it was disappointing, rather tacky I thought, with all the souvenir shops, a bit like visiting Lourdes (the town).

I was in Albi last week to see Friday's stage of le Tour. A much bigger and better caravan than previously and we picked up loads of freebies!

Cav is a reformed character for me, compared to the brat of four or more years ago. Fantastic sprinter. He's lacking decent team support this year which is a pity. Still time to pick up some stage wins though.  Froome is proving to be a capable rider; let's hope he can keep the yellow jersey.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't miss the final stage from Versailles later this afternoon!

Coverage on FR2 starts with a special program at 14:50 and carries on through the evening - with a couple of interruptions - until 22:30 (unless princess Kate of the Cambridges steps outside Kensington castle! [:D])

It's on  ITV4 from 4:30 pm.

[quote user="dwmcn"]

Nick P,

Had the urine been tested for drugs?

David

[/quote]

Once again it's nice to see you keeping up to date with current events, but it goes without saying that if the urine came from an American source, testing would be unnecessary, the result would obviously be positive.