Will a (PAL) T.V. purchased in U.K work in France (SEKAL system)?

[quote user="cassie"]I need a t.v. for my maison secondaire and wish to buy in U.K as they are much cheaper and often have instructions in English! Will ALL PAL t.v.`s work in France ?[/quote]

Just check with the supplier that the TV is dual systems compatible, most are.

If the TV has built in 'Freeview' it should work on the French digital TNT system with an external aerial. SECAM is virtually superseded in France now. Some UK TVs have built-in 'Freesat', this should pick up the free to air Sky channels with a suitable dish.

• 2 months later...
We are using a <very> old (20+ years) UK TV without a scart lead (so it plays through a video recorder (!!!!) (Not me - hubby got it working) - through the livebox, (for French TV)  and that is OK.  The "second" UK TV is attached (with a scart lead - it's only a few years old) to the Sky box.  One day we might buy a new television and have the lot on one set!

Here's one for the folks who recently purchased in UK for use in France. I took over my old crt Sony tv for use, it has a digital tuner inside so works ok on the French system. One thing I am unable to receive is any form of Teletext on it, plus the program guide is still stuck on English time. Can folks who purchased a "UK" set receive any teletext on theirs, I think I have read that there is a slight difference between how the French teletext system works to the UK one. Our region stopped the analogue transmission last November.

I use teletext still, but then I'm a dinosaur. Seriously though, it is convenient for the news and especially sports (football) results and I can check them while watching TV programmes. If I see something requiring more reading I can go to the pc and check the internet, but in our house the TV and the PC are not in the same room.

I bought a cheapo TV from Tesco for use in a second room here. HDMI and SCART sockets. It works because its connected to HUMAX box. I've never tried to receive French TNT broadcasts on it as we no longer have an aerial, and I presume this is what the OP was asking about?