Twin Rooms

Hi everyone,

Sorry haven't had chance to post for a while. We have been very busy trying to get the chambre d'hôte ready for this summer. We are hopefully on track to open a couple of rooms at the end of June.

I am a bit stuck on one decision... should I have a twin room ? We have 5 rooms in total - one will be a family room for 4, three are doubles and the last is the one I am not sure - should I make it a twin ?

What does everyone think ? How often do you have enquiries for a twin room ? Is it worth sacrificing a double for ?

Im just thinking that we have quite a lot of cycling etc in this area so we may get two friends wanting to share....

Thanks for your thoughts

Louise

I was trying to find another thread about this as there was one some time back but I can't find it.

We have a room which has a king-size "zip and link" bed which converts in to two singles. All I can say is that looking at my records (I record everything as some already know) the room received 58% occupancy as a twin, 39% occupancy as a king and 3% single occupancy. That does not mean however that had it not been a twin I would have lost out because I turned people away that wanted this room because it was full. Another thing that you may find interesting is that income from the twin is less than half when sold as king because people stay on average for two to three nights where as in the king they stay between 5 and 14 nights.

One word of warning about my stats. They are for my CDH where I live and it may be, for many reasons, different where you are.

Yes, please!  (Customer view point.)[:)]

Now I'm a bit disabled I find I can't spend the whole night in the same bed as my o/h.  Besides, when I holiday with my mother or a friend, we really don't want a double bed even though we might be willing to share a room.

Yes twin, definitely.  My guest room which may become a chambre d'hote has two singles which I transform into a king but I have to saya it's a real b*tch changing them over.  If you can keep a twin as a twin, then you'll save yourself, well, your back, a lot of aggro.

[quote user="Louise"]Thanks everyone for your help... We have got two of those 3/4 beds in the loft but the mattresses are stupidly expensive (3ft) so will look in to those that zip together perhaps.[/quote]

We got our 'zip and link' beds from the UK as the selection s very limited in France, difficult to find and when you do find them very expensive.

Just something I have been thinking about recently... You can get a 180*200 bed which is a 180 mattress with two 90*200 bases.

If you were to get this and also 2 single mattresses then you would have both...

You would just need to move and hide the  180*200...

Osie

We always prefer a king-size bed, but if our favourite chambre d'hôte only has the twin room available when we want to visit, we gladly take that rather than look elsewhere - there are only 2 rooms, and both are lovely, as is the welcome, breakfast, hostess, garden etc etc!  [:)] So repeat customers might just think like us if they've enjoyed the whole experience.

[quote user="Louise"]I have another query... when you register with the Mairie do you include babies in the numbers e.g we have beds for 12 people but 2 cots so do I register for 12 or 14. I think I should register for 14 ???[/quote]

In the UK, where I have a holiday let, when you say, for example, "sleeps 10", this means that the house "sleeps up to 10 adults and children over the age of 2".  Children and babies under the age of 2 are not included in the numbers.  I gather that the same applies in France.  So, in my opinion, you would register for 12.  I assume that you could ask the Mairie to verify this.

As for twin beds, I have a house with two doubles and three twins and that works out well.  No one has ever complained that I have too many or too few double beds.  Sometimes, people put the twin beds together.

There certainly was a thread about this in the past but it was probably 3 or 4 years ago and I can't find it.

[quote user="Kitty"][ "sleeps 10", this means that the house "sleeps up to 10 adults and children over the age of 2".  Children and babies under the age of 2 are not included in the numbers.[/quote]

Reminds me of a "studio cabine" that we saw advertised in a French ski resort. 24 sq m "sleeps six". SIX? Ye gods!

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="Kitty"][ "sleeps 10", this means that the house "sleeps up to 10 adults and children over the age of 2".  Children and babies under the age of 2 are not included in the numbers.[/quote]

Reminds me of a "studio cabine" that we saw advertised in a French ski resort. 24 sq m "sleeps six". SIX? Ye gods!

[/quote]

I suppose that would mean sleeping upright, alongside their skis, and would make for a quick start ready for the ski lifts opening in the mornings!  [:)]

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="Kitty"][ "sleeps 10", this means that the house "sleeps up to 10 adults and children over the age of 2".  Children and babies under the age of 2 are not included in the numbers.[/quote]

[/quote]

[Www]I think I must have stayed there. They are cleverly designed, that has to be said.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="Kitty"][quote user="Louise"]I have another query... when you register with the Mairie do you include babies in the numbers e.g we have beds for 12 people but 2 cots so do I register for 12 or 14. I think I should register for 14 ???[/quote]

In the UK, where I have a holiday let, when you say, for example, "sleeps 10", this means that the house "sleeps up to 10 adults and children over the age of 2".  Children and babies under the age of 2 are not included in the numbers.  I gather that the same applies in France.  So, in my opinion, you would register for 12.  I assume that you could ask the Mairie to verify this.

As for twin beds, I have a house with two doubles and three twins and that works out well.  No one has ever complained that I have too many or too few double beds.  Sometimes, people put the twin beds together.

There certainly was a thread about this in the past but it was probably 3 or 4 years ago and I can't find it.

[/quote]

Is this the one?

http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/525547/ShowPost.aspx

• 1 month later...

Hi Louise

We have a chambre d'hotes with 5 rooms too and I would say definitely.  You will have the right balance.  Even some couples ask for twin room if they are elderley and we get lots of friends coming out who do not want to share a bed.

Good luck.

I bought the thing mentioned above from outofeden and it worked very

well.  It could not be sent by them to France but it got here all the

same.

I have quite a few 90cm single beds which I had no use for and now I have an optional 180cm kingsize bed albeit 2 strapped up singles.