New Specs

Teamedup

What a shock yesterday. At long last saw our opthalmo and duly got a new and necessary prescription. Found a new pair of specs at the opticians immediately which was amazing really and I was feeling rather pleased. Not designer,which doesn't interest me and not expensive, 125 euros.

Then we sat down and discussed the lense and I just wanted what I had wanted last time. You could have knocked me over, after the social security and our mutualist had reimbursed us, I would be left with a bill of 264 euros.  18 months ago, I only had to pay 100 euros out of my pocket. Each lense is going to cost 259 euros. Now as my brother got two pairs of non designer specs from Specsavers for just over £200, pretty much what I want now, I am feeling rather fed up.

Incidentally, this was with a mutualist opticians and now I'm going to try all the others now, usually the mutualist opticians are very competitive.

Am I being ripped off.

Do keep us informed on which optical chain you choose...I to could do with new specs and hubby `treats `me as I only used to work part time, quite some prezzie as I am blind as a bat and have super thin lenses with a reaction lense(cant stand bright sunlight....funny that seing as we live in the south:laugh comein at about 220 quid with frames!

My God TU what a shock. Paying 259€ for two lenses acceptable if you have special requirements,but each!! My husband wears those titanium ones you can bend with nothing holding his progressive lenses except for a little piece of "wire" over the nose and of course the side arms and even twoyears ago they didn't cost that. They are almost invisible on him and he often can't find them when he has laid them down and once even drove to his workshop when he had them on because he couldn't find them - I gave up on him then!! I will need new specs to go with my lenses early next year and am keen not to pay over the odds either. 

Hello,

There is a lesson here and that in choosing a "mutuelle" or a complementary insurance, which includes routine optical cover, is often not good value or money. If one does have a plan that includes such cover then inevitably this is reflected in premiums. Even then, as you have found out TU, very often nothing like the full cost is reimbursed. Because it will almost certainly result in a claim on the insurer then the premium is set accordingly. The tarif for a pair of spectacles is only around 16 Euros and the "Sécu" will only refund 65% of that. So you must have a very comprehensive "top up" to cover the full cost with the premiums to match. Of course along with optical cover there will be other benefits such as extended dental cover But in general I think it makes sense not to lay out premiums for such cover and pay for all routine optical out of your own pocket and pay the premiums for what you really need such as hospitalisation, prescribed medicines etc.

If you make, at least, an occasional trip to the UK each year, I have no hesitation in recommending Specsavers from a speed, efficiency and cost point of view.

Regards

Peter Owen

[email protected]

TU that seems enormously expensive.  Do you have something really acute or complexe?  My husband has hypermetrophy and an astigamatism (so not straightforward)  and he got glasses with the lenses at 65 euros each last week, (before the mutual gave him anything back).  This was from 'Mutoptic', but I think they are only in the Rhone-Alpes area, however they were very good and looked at all the options with us; such as anti reflecting glass, smear proof glass and so on.  We could then see how the price was altered - a consideration as this was just to have a spare pair.  I wonder whether you are being ripped off in the sense that the optician is perhaps adding all these options in without informing you.  I would also say to those that say do it in the UK, that at least the sight test here is well covered by the secu...

Jane

My glasses are progressif, anti reflet, anti rayure, photochromatic. All theses things these days are simply about my comfort really. Bad enough having to wear specs without them not being comfortable.

I have 'done' four opticians this afternoon. The most expensive were 289 euros per lense this afternoon. And the cheapest 234 euros. And was told if I didn't have any finishes on my progressif glasses that the lenses would be 114 euros in one of the shops.

Our mutualist is paying out far less that it used to........ the reason being is that there are too many pensioners that are members and it is costing too much. Our mutualist is via work, the truth is that we don't pay a lot to it in comparison to having a private scheme, however, I would prefer us to pay more and get the cover we used to get. 

The price you quoted does not look out of line with UK budget prices for a similar specification. I ( Anton not Isabel) am simply 2.0 diopter both lenses with a correction for asymetry so small I prefer to do without it.

Isabel's in contrast are expensive even with the cheapest frames. My late mothers were a very expensive prescription to manufacture.

My view on insurance is I need it for major costs for instance I cause an accident which destroys two Ferraris or the house burns down. I do not want to pay for administration on policies which simply give me my own money back. Dental costs, extended warrenty on new computer etc.

Anton Redman

" My glasses are progressif, anti reflet, anti rayure, photochromatic. All theses things these days are simply about my comfort really. Bad enough having to wear specs without them not being comfortable. "

Dear Teamedup (and anyone else needing new specs)

I have just ordered a pair of specs from

www.spex4less.com

for £45

I am very short-sighted with an astigmatism and would pay a lot more for specs in France. As long as you have a prescription less than 2 years old, you can order online or if your prescription falls outside their normal range you can telephone it through (0800 169 1734) and speak to their very helpful staff and order them to be delivered to your door within a week.

Fantastic value for money.

Angie

Even after only a year it is good practice to get your eyes tested out.  Some very serious conditions are picked up by the eye test and two years is a very old prescription. Glaucoma left for 4 years (which could happen if you had your specs made via the net) 'could' result in very serious eye damage.

I always go to Vision Express as they are the only company that make my specs and I have to say I have always had impeccable service from them (made to measure specs as I have a very small bridge on my nose due to a childhood accident and normal specs hurt and also can break the skin). I took out Europe wide insurance for £20 and the nearest VE store is in Tolouse. My specs cost an arm and a leg but such is life, I can see to drive and read.

My son is acutely longsighted and glasses are vital, so is the thining of the lenses. We normally have this done in the uk at specsavers, but it still costs £45 a time. Recently he broke his glasses out here and the local optician treated us brilliantly, with new frames and thinned lenses, after our e109 refund it worked out cheaper than the uk. quite a surprise.

We have both been for our new specs today. Mine are 532 euros, the government reimbursing 10 euros and the mutualist part of the rest. Husbands were around 480 euros and the government are giving him 7 euros something plus the mutualist.

I am cheesed off. No second pair at a reduced price with Mutoptic. The attitude was that they were giving them away at rates like these. Neither of us took designer frames either.

My UK specs were the similar if not more than the price you have quoted. They are not designer but 'custom lights' which are a Vision Express only make - just plastic frames stuck together.  I got nothing back from anyone. I also did not get a special deal on them, times are getting hard in the UK and offers are not as frequent as they were. I think you will pay the same when you return next year and as I said, no one will pay any part of the bill for you.

I took my prescription into Specsavers when I was back and it would have cost me £250 and they would have given me two pairs. I didn't get them done there as my prescription lacked some personal details and I 'd left it a bit late to sort everything out. I know people here who pay a lot more than we are going to have to as they have far more problems than I do with their eyes.And I know of folks in the UK who pay more than the £350 too.

I do think that specs are rather a rip off here though.

Just got my new specs from spex4less today only 6 days after ordering them. complete with case and anti-scratch coating they cost all of £35.00. They even asked us to let them know how long it took the glasses to get here. Customer service or what.

Fine if you only need specs for reading but if you need to wear them all the time, no way. Also most good makes of specs come in a variety of sizes, not all models come in all sizes but there are very great variations in sizes as there are faces and shapes of faces.

As the latest research shows that those who are short sighted and use computers run a very high risk of getting serious eye disease, I would get my eyes tested yearly and go somewhere where the specs were fitted.

Shows you get what you pay for.

My daughter is 11 and has worn glasses all her life. So imagine our shock a couple of weeks ago, when we tried to sort out new ones...it was discovered at the Rentrée that her eyesight had gravely detetiorated during the summer, and she could no monger see the blackboard. So I rang for an eye test. In April, I was told. I went to the doctor, who had stern words with the opto, result being a test three days later. Opto did not tell us she needed drops in her eyes, and to come back in 6 weeks time, when he finished the test. This has now cost 90€. So we got the prescription and went looking...many offers of cheap kids specs, but only up to +5 and of course hers are +8. Being very thick, very few pairs on offer. Found one. The CPAM will reimburse 38€ and the mutuell the same, leaving me with a bill of 96€, which I cannot pay.

So we put in a plea with the CPAM to make her a special case. A month later, no answer. Her school work is suffering badly; failing in most subjects whereas before she passed with flying colours. Can't use online orders as they are complicated prescriptions and it's illegal for kids underr 16 anyway.

So am stuck with a half blind daughter and a school that keeps screaming at me to get her new glasses. I did suggest THEY paid, but that didn't go down very well...we depass the limit for the CMU by 5€. I am furious.

Iceni, no these were distance glasses that I need for driving and watching the telly etc.  This company also do vari-focals at very reasonable prices too under £50.

My last pair of multi-focals cost around £350 in the Uk only two or so years ago and they fell apart last week. It strikes me that the glasses game has jumped on the fashion badwagon in recent years and you now pay more for the name rather than the quality.

[quote]Iceni, no these were distance glasses that I need for driving and watching the telly etc. This company also do vari-focals at very reasonable prices too under £50. My last pair of multi-focals cost ...[/quote]

They do NOT supply Varifocals Very fee mailorder coy will supply varifocals unless you send a pair of specs with the same lenses so they can measure the eye line,defeats the purpose a bit saving money you would need 2 pairs the same to start with (one to wear one to send)

They do supply bifocals which are considerably cheaper than varifocals

I have just paid £300 for varifocals in the UK and was quoted 600 euros here in France

I suggest that £300 is about the standard price.

Battypuss, didn't you ask the optician if you couldn't write out two or three cheques. That is what I have done today.

Also I have found that mutualist opticians usually have the cheapest lenses. Although I always do as you have and shop around.

Incidentally how would anyone know if you bought some glasses over the internet for her?

Hi all, Yes I am very happy with my new specs, service and delivery amazing! My prescription was outside the normal range on the internet order form, but a quick phone call, when I spoke to their opthalmologist and he was able to reassure me that they could meet my requirements.

Angie