Ladies only!

TWINKLE

How do you cope in France with regards to 'the time of the month'?

My sisters in Wales swear by Evening Primrose but it's so expensive.  I have tried magnesium B5 and L'Huile d'Onagre, but to no avail -  my head still spins around and I speak in several toungues  whenever someone   'upsets'    me about a week before,  and I am often very tired just afterwards.

I know chocolate is the best solution but I can't afford the extra pounds during the summer months as I am so often on stage.

On a slightly, similar subject - I take it there is no problem, getting "the pill", in France.  I'll happliy go out & buy a large baseball bat (for when Mark gets that look in his eye!!), if necessary - but would prefer to stay "time of the month" free!! 

Sorry, Gay I meant B6. 

Are we the only 3 women on the forum who still have 'a time of the month'?

Maybe some of you are embarrassed to discuss this subject. 

When I first came to France I was astonished at how easily people discuss the menstrual cycle.  I once mentioned that I had a tummy-ache while we were having dinner with my (then) boyfriends parents and his father very casually asked me if it was a period pain[:-))]

I will try the St Johns Wort that a very kind lady pm'd me about.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

How do you cope in France with regards to 'the time of the month'?

My sisters in Wales swear by Evening Primrose but it's so expensive.  I have tried magnesium B5 and L'Huile d'Onagre, but to no avail -  my head still spins around and I speak in several toungues  whenever someone   'upsets'    me about a week before,  and I am often very tired just afterwards.

I know chocolate is the best solution but I can't afford the extra pounds during the summer months as I am so often on stage.

[/quote]

I used to swear by Evening Primrose Oil - you can buy it direct by mail order, as it is very expensive over here, like all suppliments. Have a look at this link - even priced in euros:

http://www.naturesbest.co.uk/category.asp?currency=EUR&cat_id=88

MY Ideal remedy would be to get a nanny so the girls do not irritate me with their squabling and keep away from the PC.

I was offered B6  by a well meaning work colleague years ago, In its tablet form it made me realy relaxed, so much so that I wanted to sleep all the time.

Yes i agree with russethouse, if you cant go on the pill, Vit B, I take a complete B and i find if i forget to take it i start craving marmite which normally i dont like[blink] plus an iron rich diet lots of spinach my gal.....................

Starflower oil capsules were recommended to me  -  and, sorry Twinks, not being in the public eye, I rifle the house for anything that resembles chocolate !![:@]  That looks just like me at that time !!

[quote user="TWINKLE"] Are we the only 3 women on the forum who still have 'a time of the month'?

Maybe some of you are embarrassed to discuss this subject.  [/quote]

Or it could be you might be the only ones who suffer from PMT. I never have so can't help. Other than by giving you a smug smile. [:-))] Feel free to find a -kicking smug c*w in the face- smiley for me.[:D]

[quote user="TWINKLE"]  I will try the St Johns Wort that a very kind lady pm'd me about.

[/quote]

Try and read up about it first. I can't remember what I've read in passing, but I have a feeling there can be adverse side effects relating to sunshine sensitivity, some effect on the eyes, stopping before operations, etc.

The best way is to make sure you include B6 in your diet, but I usually follow the South Beach/GI way of eating  which does not feature bread much, and to be honest I am not a huge bread eater in any case. If I notice I am feeling 'fraught' I try and take supplements.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]Maybe some of you are embarrassed to discuss this subject.  [/quote]

I would be betraying every female member of my family if I took part in this discussion!

These matters are deemed private and personal at best, and obscene at worst, in my family.  They are matters which should preferably be learnt about by some form of osmosis.

It's a noble tradition which involved us all in misery throughout adolescence, and presumably  suffering in silence ever since. Not that I'd know, as we never, ever talk about it. [:D]

I read somewhere years ago that a glass or two of lager was good for the time of the month, whether or not it is true, its a good excuse for a drink but it does make you fat if you have too much. Have you noticed too now on UK TV how many adverts there are for "the time of the month" regarding towels,tampons,PMT etc, I actually still get a bit embaressed about seeing them as there is no need to advertise, folks buy the products regardless and when the menfolk start on about wings,well that really does annoy me and showing women in their knickers too without the bulges.

[quote user="Val_2"]I read somewhere years ago that a glass or two of lager was good for the time of the month, [/quote]

Do you think it was lager or beer? I suppose beer has B vitamins which could be helpful but I don't know if lager does.

[quote user="Val_2"]Have you noticed too now on UK TV how many adverts there are for "the time of the month" regarding towels,tampons,PMT etc, < snip >... folks buy the products regardless... [/quote]

People buy the products regardless... but advertising influences women to try new brands or new lines or even better informs them as to what's available - the "female hygiene" product market is a competitive one especially with the supermarkets introducing their own, no frills products. Advertising reflects society (horrifying as that may be) and I really welcome the much more matter-of-fact approach to this type of advertising. It's a much healthier attitude than making the "time of the month" a period when girls felt they were constrained or limited - or even embarassed - by something so natural and ordinary.

(the pun was intentional [Www])

[quote user="Val_2"]I read somewhere years ago that a glass or two of lager was good for the time of the month, whether or not it is true, its a good excuse for a drink but it does make you fat if you have too much. Have you noticed too now on UK TV how many adverts there are for "the time of the month" regarding towels,tampons,PMT etc, I actually still get a bit embaressed about seeing them as there is no need to advertise, folks buy the products regardless and when the menfolk start on about wings,well that really does annoy me and showing women in their knickers too without the bulges.[/quote]

Well seing as you brought the subjct up...there is a family allowance for the babies nappies/milk and when they get bigger is used to go towards shoes etc(well mine was/is) what about a womens allowance, sanitary ware does not come cheap , unless you put up with asda/intermarche bob standard towels, new underwear to compensate for 'accidents' washing pwder/electric/water for the machine to do the exra sheets for night time accidents, oh I could go on and on but won't![img]http://bestsmileys.com/angry1/8.gif[/img]

After having read somewhere that the Pill was not reimboursed at all by

the French Health Service, I was pleasantly surprised when we moved and

I made my first trip to the doc to discover it was and to the tune of

100 percent no less!! Though maybe it depends which one you're

taking........ my doc was very good and spent time looking up the exact

equivalent of the one I'd been taking in the UK, so seemless transition.

I have also wondered where the "luxury" bit comes in in terms of the VAT on hygiene products......

Have to say that going on the Pill didn't get rid of the all the PMT symptons but did make a huge difference

Lou

Lou, you've just made my day!!!  Had been worried about getting the Pill, in France - don't know why I thought I mightn't be able to - just did!!  If I also get 100% back, I'll be a very happy bunny!!! [:D]  Haven't had PMT for over 15 years now!!! [:D] [:D]

Lou, you've just made my day!!!  Had been worried about getting the Pill, in France - don't know why I thought I mightn't be able to - just did!! ... Haven't had PMT for over 15 years now!!!  (Ali@ards)

Mmm, it's a fairly natural mistake to make. I mean, we do all drive around on Ox-Carts and only get bread baked in the communal oven. [:D]

PS, that's not what Mark told me, about the PMT[:D][kiss]

[quote user="Russethouse"] I reckon a Guiness (or two) might help, but in moderation. You know what they used to say 'Guiness is good for you'[/quote] 

Last week was not great for me & going through the change doesn't help.[:(] A little friend on here said to have some Guinness. So I did! I'm sure it helped, but after a couple, I didn't care![:-))]