Burning a hole .....

Having been let down by a seller and feeling utterly despondent, we are left with 85,000 euro stuck in a currency exchange account.  Before we change it back to £, at a big loss, and the 'French dream' is finally over - does anyone have a holiday home they would sell for that budget?  Dordogne, Lot, Tarn, Taren-et-Garonne, Aveyron or Gers.  PM me.  Here's hoping!

[quote user="Tilly"]Having been let down by a seller and feeling utterly despondent, we are left with 85,000 euro stuck in a currency exchange account.  Before we change it back to £, at a big loss, and the 'French dream' is finally over - does anyone have a holiday home they would sell for that budget?  Dordogne, Lot, Tarn, Taren-et-Garonne, Aveyron or Gers.  PM me.  Here's hoping![/quote]

Well I don't have a house to sell but I know the E/mail address of a very nice man (sounds like it anyway) in Nigeria who if you send him your bank details, your mothers maiden name etc. would be very happy to help you with the money. He keeps on writing to me; but I'm broke so can't grab the wonderful opportunity to increase my capital. [:D]  Seriously don't worry, for every house in France that you miss out on their is always a better one around the corner. Best of luck.

[quote user="Tilly"]Having been let down by a seller and feeling utterly despondent, we are left with 85,000 euro stuck in a currency exchange account.  Before we change it back to £, at a big loss, and the 'French dream' is finally over - does anyone have a holiday home they would sell for that budget?  Dordogne, Lot, Tarn, Taren-et-Garonne, Aveyron or Gers.  PM me.  Here's hoping![/quote]

Sorry that you've been let down, but really ................ you need to 'get on your bike'.

Let's assume that your purchase of €85k will cost you £4k-£5k if you have to sell them back, then why on earth don't you spend £1k on getting yourselves down here and pestering the Immobiliers to death over what they've got on their books that might interest you?

You're cash buyers and can therefore strike a hard bargain.  But then if this hasn't occurred to you, then I'm probably wasting my time.

The chances of someone on here coming up with something that fits the bill are slim.

We have flown over twice in the past fortnight to look at properties that we thought might suit and are in email contact with agents virtually on a daily basis - why immediately assume we are not doing any leg work ourselves?  We're well over your suggested £1K expenditure in trying to find another property!  My posting on this forum was a last resort - and someone wanting to sell a little holiday home might have been interested.

[quote user="Tilly"]We have flown over twice in the past fortnight to look at properties that we thought might suit and are in email contact with agents virtually on a daily basis - why immediately assume we are not doing any leg work ourselves?  We're well over your suggested £1K expenditure in trying to find another property!  My posting on this forum was a last resort - and someone wanting to sell a little holiday home might have been interested.[/quote]

My sincere apologies - I stand corrected.

In my defence, the efforts you had already made weren't immediately apparent from your first post. That's not much of an excuse for jumping down your throat though.

Hope things work out.     

Forget agents, try the notaires as many locals prefer to use them to attract buyers with a cheaper asking price than the extra commission agents charge. My neighbour for instance is €130k with local notaire and €142k with a local immobilier, what one would attract you??

Two points to note:

- Not all Notaires handle property transactions - they need to be licensed (as estate agents) to do so.

- Prices of properties for sale privately are frequently higher than those proposed by estate agents, mainly because private owners/sellers have - understandably perhaps - an over-optimistic view of the value of their property. They often price it in relation to what they hope to spend on another property or need to repay a mortgage debt, rather than a hard-nosed assessment of its market value. 

I am currently looking for a certain kind of property, under 100 000 euros, on www.leboncoin.fr which includes announcements by private and professional sellers, and the price differentials are amazing - private sometimes ten or twenty thousand euros higher for what appears, on paper, to be a similar property type. Of course a visit is essential but you cannot assume that because it is a private sale you will save money.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]But then, in fairness, you can't assume that you WILL save money going via an immo. Few of them are in business out of a sense of altruism, are they?
[/quote]But since they are only paid when they sell the property, they have a vested interest in seeing that the price asked is realistic - not always the case with private sellers who often see their geese as swans

[quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="You can call me Betty"]But then, in fairness, you can't assume that you WILL save money going via an immo. Few of them are in business out of a sense of altruism, are they?

[/quote]But since they are only paid when they sell the property, they have a vested interest in seeing that the price asked is realistic - not always the case with private sellers who often see their geese as swans[/quote]

I do not wish to tar all Immos with the same brush, but there are those who seem to appreciate that their income depends upon making sales, and then there are the majority......

And whether your goose is a swan or a hippo, there's still a hefty hike in the price to cover the agent's commission...

We certainly bought through a Notaire, the property was priced in a local immo at a level which didn't interest us because it was above our ceiling price. The same property at the Notaire was inside the ceiling. Excellent service too, including the Notaire visiting us on a campsite on a Saturday evening to tell us that our offer had been accepted.