Dettol No-Touch Hand Wash System ??

Simon-the-censored

I know this is banal and completely unimportant but I just don't get it...

If you don't know the product or haven't seen the add - here it is : http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/dettol-no-touch-hand-wash-system-green-tea-and-ginger_1_160580.html

Now then - can anyone explain WHY an automatic hand gel dispenser is more hygenic than a manual pump one?

Push the pump - gel comes out - wash hands = hands clean.

Just humour me - it drives me mad when I see / hear the ad.

Simon :-)

In a super clean environment i.e. an operating theatre then barrier care is a good idea, this is just playing on the paranoia of not very bright people who actually believe once you have washed your hands they are free of bacteria although you haven't used a fast acting bactericide.

[quote user="cooperlola"]Please tell me, while you are at it, just what is wrong with a bar of soap (apart from the fact that it costs far less and lasts ten times as long?)[/quote]

Because in the words of some comedy sketch or other:

"Oh that's my towel"

"We can share can't we"

"No it's not hygenic"

"But we share the soap"

"That's OK"

"What do you think the last thing is that I cleaned with the soap before you washed your face?"

[quote user="Simon-come-lately"]

I know this is banal and completely unimportant but I just don't get it...

If you don't know the product or haven't seen the add - here it is : http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/dettol-no-touch-hand-wash-system-green-tea-and-ginger_1_160580.html

Now then - can anyone explain WHY an automatic hand gel dispenser is more hygenic than a manual pump one?

Push the pump - gel comes out - wash hands = hands clean.

Just humour me - it drives me mad when I see / hear the ad.

Simon :-)

[/quote]

It's all utter nonsense but they've got a product to sell and a gullible public to sell it to.

[quote user="andyh4"]

[quote user="cooperlola"]Please tell me, while you are at it, just what is wrong with a bar of soap (apart from the fact that it costs far less and lasts ten times as long?)[/quote]

Because in the words of some comedy sketch or other:

"Oh that's my towel"

"We can share can't we"

"No it's not hygenic"

"But we share the soap"

"That's OK"

"What do you think the last thing is that I cleaned with the soap before you washed your face?"

[/quote]

Conversation between Joey and Chandler in Friends.  How sad am I?

[quote user="cooperlola"]

I was reading an article in the New Yorker about the hygeine hypothesis.  It might well turn out to be bad science but it is intersting:

http://www.hygienehypothesis.com/

[/quote]

There's a fair bit of quasi-science in there, but it is becoming clear that allowing children's immune systems to develop in too clean an envirnment is not good for them.  The hyper-careful supermum who makes sure all things are as clean as possible in probably doing her youngsters no good at all.  It's not as if we have cholera etc floating about (if there were, then scrupulous hygiene becomes essential).

I've seen that advert for the automatic soap dispenser - amazing! It's hard to believe anyone would waste their money on such a thing. I bet kids would empty it in about 10 minutes before they got bored with it.

I have got the ordinary pump soap dispensers as I think they're less messy than a bar of soap (especially on the kitchen sink) but I refill them with those plastic refill pouches (35c in Leclerc)

Oh that's my towel"

"We can share can't we"

"No it's not hygenic"

"But we share the soap"

"That's OK"

'Friends' did a scene like that.

Mr RH insisted on the Dettol thingy, I think its a joke, however we do use anti bacterial hand wash, just because again Mr RH is keen on it and it makes no difference to me and its no more expensive. (he is also keen on those 'no water gel thingies', which I only use for those times when travelling and the washing facilities are poor or non existent)

I don't use soap because I find it drying on my aging skin now [:(]

We use soap in the bathroom but I admit to a palmolive antibacterial hand wash in the kitchen BUT as I noticed this morning, the OH came in from the garden washed his hands - so far so good - THEN I saw the state of the pump which was covered in c*** !! What would the neighbours think?

But surely you use gel soap?[:$]  Er, sorry.

I am alergic to most liquid soaps so am stuck with the bars anyway but still have never worked out why the liquids are so popular when they're so expensive (and I hate the mess they make - I'd far rather just pop the soap dish in the dishwasher from time to time.)

[quote user="cooperlola"]

http://www.friendscafe.org/scripts/s2/216.php

I buy soap with moisturiser (90p for 4 bars), R/H.  Better by far than paying for the water in liquid soap - just add your own, gratis from the tap!

[/quote]

In this house they'd just sit in a puddle of soapy scum very quickly, I do think the liquid soap is less messy. The soap I used to like was the red Lifebuoy and Wrights Coal Tar, love the smell !

All most everyone I know nowadays carries these little bottles of hand gel.... they blob a bit in the centre of thier palm quick rub and they are off ..... by no means have they totally covered the whole area of the hand or all the finger tips which is the main part ....so whats the point of doing it ? Its just being paranoid, and behaving like sheep just like once apon a time everyone ate tictacs now these same people rub thier hands .......  

[quote user="Russethouse"][quote user="cooperlola"]

http://www.friendscafe.org/scripts/s2/216.php

I buy soap with moisturiser (90p for 4 bars), R/H.  Better by far than paying for the water in liquid soap - just add your own, gratis from the tap!

[/quote]

In this house they'd just sit in a puddle of soapy scum very quickly, I do think the liquid soap is less messy. The soap I used to like was the red Lifebuoy and Wrights Coal Tar, love the smell !

[/quote]

What about Pears - luv it luv it luv it but I have to wait for visitors to bring it over from the UK.

[quote user="cooperlola"] I  ...  have never worked out why the liquids are so popular when they're so expensive (and I hate the mess they make - I'd far rather just pop the soap dish in the dishwasher from time to time.)[/quote]

Coops - I changed to liquid soap because of the scum circles that bars of soap make on wash hand basins.  With liquid soap, the basins just wipe clean really easily.  Aldi's liquid soap is cheaper than other makes.  Top secret (shhh, don't tell the OH or the children): I add water to the liquid soap so that it lasts double the time.

I seem to dimly remember that Howard Hughes would wash the soap before using it?  An urban myth, maybe?

And, right now, I'm humming the Fairy Liquid slogan: "when hand that wash dishes are as soft as your face, it's mild green Fairy Liquid".  Anyone else humming it?

Cathy, why not just have a soap dish and wash it from time to time?  The reason I ask this apparently daft question is that my o/h (who does all the shopping) insists on buying and using liquid soap and I just detest the disgusting mess it makes by the sink and the basin.  Happily, lorry driver's insurance pays for us to have a cleaner nowadays so I don't have to mop it up but I do have to look at it.[+o(]

Howard Hughes was seriously ill I think (OCD?) so that would not surprise me at all.