Fitness Centres

Does anyone know if there are fitness centres such as the Virgin Gyms or similar chain in France? We are starting to look for a small holiday/retirement pad, probably south Aquitaine or further east, but want to be near an all-year swimming public pool - assuming we couldn't stretch to a place with our own pool.

Thanks

Laurier

In our little village we have a gym that is held in the local hall, which is held 2 times a week for 10 months, plus the village also arranges weekly walks and bicycle rides also. However it is quite expensive, !!!!! being €5 per month.

Thanks both. Wow expensive! What a hoot. In our travels through France, we just haven't seen gyms or obvious swimming pools and wondered how much they existed, though we assumed they did - somewhere. Will check out 'piscines'.

Laurier

• 2 years later...

Similar price to ours,  â‚¬6.90 per month for up to 5 classes per week and randonées.

I dont think the modern chain gyms exist, they certainly dont in my part of France, there is definitely a gap in the market waiting to be filled though as the two private gyms i know are really expensive for what is no more than a salle de musculation in a virtually derilict old shop that was destockage, no pool, no sauna, no spa, no bar, they would not even pay for a sign so had a handwritten plain piece of A4 paper for 6 months before getting a cheap banderolle, it looks like it they will clear off at any time just like the déstockage shop did.

All this for €400 per year [:-))] but by all accounts they are heaving with customers as there is nothing else for 40+ miles.

Whay havnt the established chains expanded into France? Perhaps the same reason that many other businesses wont, just too much grief, having to employ staff with the right diplomas who will not want to work in July and August.

All my gym classes and my diving club sessions have all stopped now until mid September, it drives me nuts, in fact the numbers dropped right off as soon as we hit the month where no-one works more than 4 days, May, from a high of 40+ per class down to only 5 people in one class last week, I really cannot understand this traditional we must stop everything during les vacances or of possible when we start to think about them, the year has ended (runs from September to june) yet we have not even seen the first day of summer.

I am actually going to join the run down gym for the two months and it will be interesting to see how many people use it during the summer months and whether they continue to run the collective classes.

Of course they exist, but you're not going to find them in Bled/s/Oued!

Here's a list of some in Bordeaux:

[url]http://www.fitness-france.fr/Bordeaux-33.html[/url]

There are also (of course) loads in Ile-de-France, and I'm sure most major conurbations will have them as well.

Its a long way from me, I go there once or twice a month and try to group things together, even if I had the money to join and for the fuel its too far to go to for an evening session, my dive club is about a third of the way to Amiens and that is just about doable but the fuel costs are an issue, I really would like to change but the others are in Amiens, Arras or further.

Its not a case of getting out more I assure you, I am only home a couple of nights a week, its geographic and concentrations of population.

I bet there is only one gym at Amiens like the one golf club, towns a 20th of that size in the UK would have several of each.

When we moved to France we realised that there might not be a local gym, so we have created our own in an outbuilding. Should you consider the same and be thinking of second hand machines, consider buying in the UK before you come here as 2nd hand prices for such items (and many others in France!!) tend to be higher than in the UK. For new, compare online at Decathlon.