Re: You need a licence to watch the BBC via the Internet... how silly is that!!!

Who knows? It's not like the license money is given direct to the BBC anyway. I'm happy watching the World Cup on the Beeb at the mo.

I have heard if you want to watch the Beeb on the net it is possible to obtain an ip address in England which would enable you to get in on their site. I don't know how to do this though.

When I was in PC World or similar in the UK a few months ago, I noticed a sign indicating a requirement to have a tv licence for a laptop! It appears you have to provide ID with name and address so that the TV Licencing can check you're legal... even if you aren't planning on watching internet tv.

Edit:

having now read the article, the people at silicon.com sound a bundle of laughs [Www]

[quote user="catalpa"]In France, I believe the licence covers the receiving equipment, not the programs. Go figure![:P][/quote]

To whom were you replying? If what you say is correct, by what authority does the BBC demand a license fee from French residents? [;-)]

From the story I have read there is some wild overstatement going on here.

The BBC have said that they will pursue companies who have internet access and allow employees to watch world cup games on the BBC internet feed, if they do not have TV licences for their business premises.

The point is that at home (in the UK) your PC will probably be legal because you will probably have a TV licence. If you have a PC with a TV card and no other TV tuner, and therefore no licence, you will need a licence. If you are in the same case and access live streamed TV you will need a licence, if you don't already have one.

These licences cover the premises in which the tuners or PCs are located. Companies may have access to streamed TV but no licence. That is what the BBC is trying to prevent.

I suppose that a laptop might fall foul of this as it can be used outside of the licensed premises, but the BBC seems to only be targeting companies.

None of the above applies outside of the UK and no-one has suggested that it does, as far as I am aware.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]

The BBC have said that they will pursue companies who have internet access and allow employees to watch world cup games on the BBC internet feed, if they do not have TV licences for their business premises.

The point is that at home (in the UK) your PC will probably be legal because you will probably have a TV licence. If you have a PC with a TV card and no other TV tuner, and therefore no licence, you will need a licence. If you are in the same case and access live streamed TV you will need a licence, if you don't already have one.
These licences cover the premises in which the tuners or PCs are located. Companies may have access to streamed TV but no licence. That is what the BBC is trying to prevent.

[/quote]

Confusion reigns. What I say next is open to correction but I believe...

A TV card on a computer is a device that makes it work like a TV, picking up signals through the TV broadcast (radio waves ) and converting them for display on a pc/laptop/mac etc.. I had always presumed that they were subject to the same rules (inc. reporting to the authorities) as a normal TV.

An internet stream (TV  or radio) is coming through your internet connection, which may be telephone lines or whatever. The latest news that the BBC, and others, are prepared to feed a TV programme into the internet for free distribution, but apply geographic licensing laws, is a) news that I believe and b) so laughable (in an Alice in Wonderland sense) that I believe it.

John

[quote user="thunderhorse"][quote user="catalpa"]In France, I believe the licence covers the receiving equipment, not the programs. [/quote]

To whom were you replying? If what you say is correct, by what authority does the BBC demand a license fee from French residents? [;-)]
[/quote]

France - I think the "licence" fee in France covers the receiving equipment not the programs.

Would any of us pay a UK licence fee if it was required in order to watch / listen to the BBC in France? I think I would. [geek] Most of the content on the non-subscription channels in France is total... is poor... whereas the BBC still does deliver some quality programming once you can get past the soaps. I'd probably pay the licence fee just to continue to receive R4, Jo Whiley and Jonathan Ross.

Although, why am I'm dissing the soaps when I come to play on CF...?[blink][:D]

When I had my digibox and dish fitted (some years ago now) I was told that the reason the card had to be supplied to a UK address was because of the requirement to hold a UK TV licence.   There were also reports on this forum of Sky cutting off people who made queries from French landlines.  Fact or fiction?? 

We listen to the BBC Radio via the PC, and were hoping for ceverage of the England match on Saturday to accompany our viewing on Canal +.  Five minutes before kick off they announced that due to 'contractual' reasons  thery were unable to broadcast to non UK IP addresses.

[:(]

I have a Sky contract, taken out since we moved to France, but no UK TV licence nor address. As for the French landline scenario I would not be surprised as Sky would be in breach of their contract with Canal + if they supply their service to residents in France/Spain etc (or something like that).

John

not

[quote user="Iceni"]

(or something like that).

John

[/quote]

Something like that is correct John.  But Sky have AFAIK no contracts with Canal+.

They both have contracts with the Production Studios (Time W; Disney etc..) and it is they who sell the regional rights to broadcast.

I have a Sky contract, taken out since we moved to France

But was the contract taken out with Sky direct or through one of the intemediaries who mask you true address?.

Do you receive any mailings from Sky each month?

Is the registered location for the card at your address in France?

[quote user="BJSLIV"]I haven't seen anything yet that suggests that anybody, other than the French government, will be trying to collect money from TV / Computer viewers in France.[/quote]

If you have filled our a French tax return this year you will have noticed that there is a nice little box that asks you to tick it if you have a TV. If you do then your tax is calculated to include the licence fee. So yes the French government are certainly after yer sheckels. If you don't tick it and they check and find you have got a haunted fish tank then the French tax man throws ALL of his toys out of his cot, big time! Gone are the days when you bought a TV here and filled out the name and address as Micky Mouse, Disney Land or Mr Chirac, Paris.

Apparently these were the most used addresses before the change, but as no-one ever checked it the government lost a lot of money. Not no more....

John.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

[quote user="BJSLIV"]I haven't seen anything yet that suggests that anybody, other than the French government, will be trying to collect money from TV / Computer viewers in France.[/quote]

If you have filled our a French tax return this year you will have noticed that there is a nice little box that asks you to tick it if you have a TV. 

[/quote]

I am sure I read somewhere that the Taxe D'habitation now automatically includes a TV receiving element unless you take action to not pay it. How do non France taxpayers (holiday home) go on if they have a TV in France?

Regards