We are on our way.

We intented to come to France for a holiday and house hunt in March.We was then coming back to Oz to sell our house...But now someone has offered and brought the house before hand so we are packing like mad and getting all the stuff sent over in a container.We are due to fly out on the 10th....It looks like we may settle in 23 so if anyone knows of a long term furnished let for about 4 months please contact us.....[:-))]

[quote user="Pancake"]We intented to come to France for a holiday and house hunt in March.We was then coming back to Oz to sell our house...But now someone has offered and brought the house before hand so we are packing like mad and getting all the stuff sent over in a container.We are due to fly out on the 10th....It looks like we may settle in 23 so if anyone knows of a long term furnished let for about 4 months please contact us.....[:-))][/quote]

You are willing to give up all that sunshine in Oz to live in France?

Is this a permenant move?

Good luck in any event

Not quite - Africa area is about 30,000,000 km2 but apparently, the area of Greenland is 2,200,000 km2 which is a fair old whack for an island.  France is only aboout 550,000 km2.  And the Greenland coastline is as long as the distance around the equator. 

We have done plenty of research into it and this whole forum has been great.It has shown us the good and the bad side of living in France and we are looking forward to coming.Its been an eye opener...Australia has been good to us and we have no complaints about it.It just time for a change and a new challenge.

[quote user="Tresco"]

Yes, but does it look the same?.

Greenland is big, but nothing like as big as Africa. It's a map/globe problem...and it seems there is no easy way around it.

[/quote]

It's the Mercator projection which lies at the root of the map distortions. See here:

Why does Greenland look as big as Africa?

- but globes don't have that problem. 

Incidentally, Alaska is the most northerly, easterly and westerly of the states of the USA.

[quote user="Pancake"]We have done plenty of research into it and this whole forum has been great.It has shown us the good and the bad side of living in France and we are looking forward to coming.Its been an eye opener...Australia has been good to us and we have no complaints about it.It just time for a change and a new challenge.[/quote]

At least you'll be escaping the drought. [:)]

At least you'll be the right way up. Now what's French for "Gdday" ?

Don't forget your Right Hand washing up bowl BTW, the water goes down the plughole the opposite way you know.........oh, and no Vegemite either, but I don't know if that's a good or bad thing..........!

Seriously though, I hope it works out for you and all the best from me too.

Unfortunately we're in limbo at the moment having bought but not wanting to leave UK until we've sold so more than a little envious [:(]

Looking at it I have seen that projection before but I did not know what it was called, Coops.

All these projections remind me of homunculi - representations of the human body distorted to reflect sensory or motor functions of the parts of the body.  I hope this image is not too big.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0a/Sensory_and_motor_homunculi.jpg/800px-Sensory_and_motor_homunculi.jpg[/img]

Pancake,

I am curious why you are leaving OZ to return to Europe, when increasing numbers of us seem to be heading heading in the opposite direction to OZ and New Zealand, now that immigration controls have been relaxed in OZ and NZ somewhat for skilled European migrants? 

If I was younger I would see a lot more opportunity in the new world than old Europe!

Sprogster...

It may sound silly but we just decided on a change.Its as simple as that.....We looked at Greece and its Islands,Italy and even Spain.We have been to France before on a few holidays so we said,yes,thats the place for us.Australia is a great country and I wish everybody the best of luck in moving out here.Now is the time to move here as there are now so many retiring they are getting short of workers.Housing is cheap compared to the UK and France.Where we are an average three bed house goes for around 120.000 GBP .

• 2 weeks later...
Well here is an update...We have sold the house.The furniture went off in a sea container on Tuesday.We are now staying overnight in Perth (Western Australia) and we fly out from here to Paris on Saturday night. .A few days there and then off to Limousine where we start our house hunt.....

Our Removal firm here in Ausralia are still saying we will need some  french  decloration form that will let our  households good duty free into france.Can anyone tell me where I can pick up this form from Customs in Limoges (where we ill be next week)so that we can fill it out and send it back to our agent.An addresse would be helpfull if you have one.If we have to come in via the UK its going to cost us an extra $700.