Internet via mobile network dongle

In the UK I use a dongle to access the internet. It's basically another SIM card that provides me with 3mb of G3 (where available) data for £15 a month. They're now starting to become available as Pay As You Go too.

Are any of the french mobile networks offering a similar Pay As You Go service. It would be much more convenient for me than travelling to the nearest Mc Ds for free access.

hello Kevin

Just for information, my daughter has got a new 3 dongle from car phone ware house and because she knew i was interested in one for france asked the man, he said the french equivalent to car phone warehouse was now doing a pay as you go dongle that would be cheaper than teking an english one to france.  I havent looked into it yet but would be interested if you found out more.

Judith

• 1 month later...
As I pay for broadband in the uk, and then again in France, I wondered about just getting a £15 month dongle, but wondered how expensive the "roaming" fees would be in France. Funny, no provider wanted to give a straight answer to that! Anyone had experience?

I'm thinking of getting one (a dongle) when I get to France to supplement our existing broadband service, but especially so that I can use my computer (a desk top MAC and wireless enabled but does not come with a modem) elsewhere in the house, well away from hubby's computer (!!!!!).  Any thoughts on the speed / reliablity / use in old French houses with rather thick walls.  Woud be on a contract rather than PAYG.  I have rather got used to having my own access to broadband (though here in London I use an ethernet cable and external modem).  Also thought it might be useful to have if (perhpas) the current broadband supplier is slow (as it is), goes down, does something silly etc.

Hubby has a pc laptop, already installed and in use in France, but it is not particularly portable attached to all the cables and printer as it is.  (He's already there, I'm coming out in September with luck when flat sale goes through).

Any thoughts from the tecchies out there as to best solution for me????

Mille mercis

I've seen a couple of horrendous reports about roaming costs where someone's machine did a big download (e.g. a Windows service pack)  in the 'wrong' country.

I just copied this from T Mobile's Website. Download the Vista Service Pack (434 MB) in Switzerland and say goodbye to over £3000! Even in France it would be £650.

Mobile Broadband - Roaming

If you use mobile broadband or web'n'walk in any of the following EU countries it will cost £1.50 per MB you use, and you'll be charged via your T-Mobile bill. The EU countries included are: Austria, Azores, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, , Poland, Portugal, Romania, , Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain andSweden. If you use it in any other country, it'll cost £7.50 per MB. We're afraid that roaming isn't available for Mobile Broadband Plus Daily customers. When you start roaming you may be asked to pay a deposit.

[quote user="Lisleoise"]They're called [url=http://www.darty.com/nav/achat/multimedia/reseau_wi-fi_adsl/carte_dongle_wi-fi/index.html]a dongle[/url] here too.
[/quote]

And if I hadn't asked it would have been something really complex! I actually found some sites which referred to a Cle 3G which I think may be the mobile version rather than the wi-fi one unless someone else knows better.

Cheers

Hi  all

I have been trying to look for one for my lap top when i take it with me to france, the ideas was to not get an english one and pay the high roaming charges but et a french one hopefully a PAYG i did ask a while ago  http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1244451/ShowPost.aspx 

If you have any luck finding a french payg internet dongle  please let me know where i can get one from.

Thanks

Judith XX 

It is VERY EXPENSIVE to use any UK network Mobile Broadband modem (“dongle”) abroad.  For example, 1 Gb usage a month on a 3UK modem would cost £10 – the same amount of data usage if the modem was taken to Europe would cost £3000!

The price of data roaming will come down once OFCOM gets stuck into the networks.  Voice calls have already come down to around 25p per minute – but text messages still cost the same!

None of the French networks currently offer PAYG modems like in the UK – 3UK charge £50 for the modem then the running costs (top-ups) are the same as contract (from 1Gb/30 days = £10).

PAYG modems only became available in the UK in December….. it’s bound to take a while for the French networks to catch up…..  And it will be more expensive!

Fortunately in France you get free wi-fi broadband with a Big Mac!

• 2 months later...

[quote user="Judith"]I'm thinking of getting one (a dongle) when I get to France to supplement our existing broadband service,

[/quote]

I've read that the supermarket chain Auchan now have a relatively cheap, USB dongle for internet access.

Sorry, but I can't find the details this now. I did print them off, I'll have a look for it when I get the chance.

[quote user="Roddy"]

[quote user="Judith"]I'm thinking of getting one (a dongle) when I get to France to supplement our existing broadband service,

[/quote]

I've read that the supermarket chain Auchan now have a relatively cheap, USB dongle for internet access.

Sorry, but I can't find the details this now. I did print them off, I'll have a look for it when I get the chance.

[/quote]

HERE's a link to the Auchan prepay dongle information.

Hope that helps.

All this of course is assuming you can get a signal.

I have a Vodafone 3G card through work and to be honest unless its in a large town here in the UK its useless and I cant get a signal at home in the Peak District either.  I dont know if this is just a Vodafone cockup or if it applies to the other networks as well so I suggest anyone looking at doing this checks very carefully on signal availability (possibly using a 3G enabled mobile) before spending any money.

Even when there is a signal its very temperamental, sometimes works in hotel reception and not in the room and vice versa.  Although Vodafone say there is 80% coverage this is by populated areas, not geographic area.

I have tried it in France at our place in the Pyrenees and no luck at all.  Now that Ive got a decent battery for the laptop Ill try again in various places on the way down from Boulogne next time I go.