Problems with Orange email

I apologise if this has been asked before, but here goes.

May I say at the outset, that I'm a complete technophobe and only kept afloat from a distance by Mr Judie.

I run a very small business in addition to my day job and in the last 6 months or so, I've had sporadic problems both sending and receiving emails through my orange email address. This seems particularly so when I'm sending to BTInternet addresses, but has also happened with Yahoo.

Can anyone point me in the right diection to try to sort this? My business is mostly internet based and I have to have reliable email. Before anyone says change your email address, this would be very costly and negative for my business, I do hope there is another solution.

Many thanks in advance.

Have you checked the outgoing e-mail server in your e-mail accounts? I had problems when I first connected my Livebox.

Apparently all outgoing e-mails have to go via smtp.orange.fr using your orange account & password for the outgoing mail server.

Something to do with Orange's attempts to prevent spamming.

You can try changing your smtp settings, if you are using Outlook for emails, go to Tools, Options, Mail setup, E-mail accounts, View or change e-mail accounts, click on change then on more settings, Advanced then change outgoing server (smtp) to 587 click on OK then finish to save the settings

Thank you gentlemen (Mr Judie here).

We don't think there is a problem with the e-mail settings as such - some e-mail gets through with no problem and it previously worked fine, with nothing changed by us since. It seems to be that some messages just don't get through, and those sent to btinternet or yahoo addresses are the most troublesome.

A couple of messages sent to my btinternet account yesterday evening arrived in the early hours of this morning; examining the message header suggests they were stuck somewhere between France and England for 6-7 hours. And another one sent to our daughter's yahoo address was rejected by the yahoo mail server, which said "delivery temporarily suspended: host >    e.mx.mail.yahoo.com[216.39.53.1] refused to talk to me: 451 VS2-IP >    Excessive unknown recipients - possible Open Relay" - which looks to me as if the message was thought to be spam.

Another point - one of the messages mentioned above was flagged by my Mailwasher Pro as a possible virus. The computer in France has up to date anti-virus protection, and the message was received cleanly by me, but could it explain why some servers have rejected Judie's messages?

Gosub, thanks for that. It rings a bell. Back in the pre-broadband era I had a lot of trouble for a while with messages being rejected by some servers, particularly those in the USA and AOL in England, which refused to accept anything sent via certain French ISPs. Wanadoo (Orange's predecessor) came up with a work-round which involved changing a number, much as you have suggested. I'd forgotten about that solution, so it will be well worth a try.

[quote user="Will"]

I'd forgotten about that solution, so it will be well worth a try.[/quote]

I was told, when changing the outgoing port number to 587, it was necessary to change the outgoing smtp server to "smtp-msa.orange.fr" and also tick the box 'my outgoing server requires authentication.' (Obviously no ' or " to be added.)

Sue

Thanks all. We have made the changes suggested, and e-mails do seem to be getting through from orange to btinternet - but they are still taking a long time, the last one about three hours. Whereas the same message sent to my work e-mail appears almost instantly.

Any more suggestions please?

[quote user="Will"]

Any more suggestions please?

[/quote]

Just to say that I received a message from a (local) orange user this morning that he had sent me last night. Although I was online when he sent the mail last night and, normally, I would have expected to receive the mail straight away. Perhaps there is/has been a temporary blip in orange transmission.

BTW the mail was not sent to to my orange email address as I rarely use that, preferring to use an independent email address.

Sue

I think orange or wanadoo was down for a while yesterday, my PC is not that reliable but O/H's always connects first time, but could not get any internet connection just the cannot display this page message.  The Email would not connect either saying that the account could not be found.  After an hour or so all was back working again. 

With Orange, you have to check the mail box in the Orange messagerie from time to time as its spam identification,  although normally quite good can be a little too enthusiastic at times and bin non-spam messges, particularly multi-recepient messages.

I had a day about a fortnight ago where yahoo mail sent to me by 'er indoors and Cc'd to my work address took several hours to arrive in either mailbox and when they did it was virtually simultaneously. It was just a blip but definitely indicative of the problem being with the outgoing message transmission and not on the reception side.

Talk of SMTP settings suggests you guy's are using Outlook or Outlook Express but does the problem exist if you use the Orange Messagerie directly ?

Clutching here a bit admittedly but a couple of suggestions:

If you are expecting a message you might try going to Mail2Web and see if it's there.

Also, and I guess you can do this with Orange mail, set up a free Yahoo or Gmail A/C and set up a filter to forward messages to it, you might find they arrive there before Outlook can pick them up.

That's odd Ron, I'm with Orange, and although I don't use their email service, I had terrible problems with Google yesterday.

Seems OK today though.  Might be a DNS problem perhaps, what happens if you type 209.85.227.103 into your browser address bar?

Clair I could not send any messages, could get them in via OE but just got "due to an unknown error" message for sent messages, so tried going into orange messagerie direct and that had a notice to say that it was "peturbed"[:D].  It was reinstated last night and now messages via OE are also going off OK.[kiss]  Maybe Judie should try a few test messages to see if it was the system problem.

Yes, after reading your message Ron, I sent another message to Will at his BTInternet account and it worked! Hope it's not just a temporary improvement, we still want to know what BT have to say.

Thanks to everyone for their contribution.

I had a long call back from BT (customer support again, not the promised BT Yahoo server administration people) which consisted mainly of a foreign gentleman spouting what was, to me, technical gibberish. When I asked him to explain what he was talking about in simple terms, it came down to fact that they cannot tell me why messages not delivered or where they had been delayed because I had removed my messages from their servers. That is something which Windows Mail (and Outlook or Outlook Express) does by default - so it is my own fault for not using BT's web mail instead.

I didn't feel that was a satisfactory explanation, and asked why could they not get that information from the delivery reports and copies of message headers that I had forwarded a few days ago. After a lot more incomprehensible technobabble he gave me another e-mail address and a reference number to which I could forward the delivery reports again, and booked yet another call back for Monday evening.

Again, I am not holding my breath. And despite his insistence that non-delivery to yahoo addresses was nothing to do with BT the forwarding address he gave me was an @yahoo.com one.

[quote user="Russethouse"]I'm on bt internet and am awaiting a reply from a guy on Orange - are they talking to each other at all ? (He is usually pretty quick with responses)[/quote]

Thought this thread was for French Internet and Telephone?

hmmm - my email was addressed to a guy who lives near La Baule - last time I looked it was in France [;-)]

I have since discovered that there is a problem local to him, but it wouldn't be the first time that various French ISPs have stopped talking to btinternet and it presents a problem whichever way the traffic is flowing.......

RE: @orange.fr and @wanadoo.fr to @btinternet.com non delivery.

I've had the same problem for about the last three weeks. The reason on the return slip is 'delivery temporarily suspended...' Annoyingly, the return slip doesn't arrive for several days.

It's an ongoing issue for people with .fr Orange/Wanadoo addresses, and at different times has affected mail sent to Tiscali and Yahoo addresses too (and probably others that I don't know about) over the last four years, at least.

For Judie, it might be worth considering a business related domain name to use for emails. It could be more reliable.