NewSat box

Exactly Tel ! name is NewSat with five stars underneath this name, number on receiver irself RN5002, however on the French Instruction Manual it also has Receptuer Satellite Numerique Free To Air 952012.

Normally if it's a first power up you'll be taken taken through some basic "choices" and asked to plug in the dish. 

You can normally choose language for the menus,   satellite to use,  etc.

So English and -  assuming it's British programmes you're after - Astra 2 or Astra 28.2 deg.

Then you're asked if you'd like to do a scan,   and you should be started.

We're here to help if that doesn't work out......

Dish in place ,set at 28.2º check.

Turn on FTA box, set to Astra 2, 28.2º.

Pas signal......

Attached Sky Didibox to cable, no signal.. is this where we have to move the dish about? giving the box time to adjust???

Whoa! Before you start moving the dish around, does it work ok on your Sky box?

If it does, then you have to assume that the dish is correctly aligned for the set of satellites at 28east and it must, therefore, be the set up of your new mystery box that is the issue.

Regards - Tim

[quote user="jo"]Ok, now we are freezing cold having checked everything, and trimmed a tree to make sure it was not blocking any signal. As I said no signal on new FTA box or the sky box... any suggestions? 28.2º east[/quote]

I've been where you are now and I know what its like. People say all you have to do is point it at this angle and hey presto it works, well not for me it doesn't. Now I'm no expert but simply pointing it in the right direction is only the first thing, you then have to turn the LNB as well to get it to work, so its a compination it seems of two things. Perhaps its a 'nack' but in the end for the price it cost me (about 60 Euros) and the amount of hassle it saved me I got a guy to come and allign it for me. He will tell you if the LNB is OK plus he can also tell you how good the cable from the LNB to your box is.

I've set up my fair share of sat dishes and honestly without some sort of sat finder gizmo or super luck you're p11551ng in the wind.

I have never heard of anyone simply pointing it in the correct direction and hitting the sweet spot, about as much chance of winning the lottery.

[img]http://satellite-finder.net/satellitefinder.jpg[/img]

Satfinders are ok - up to a point. They certainly do find satellites, but unless you get hold of a very expensive one, they don't tell wheher you've got the right satellite - and there's quite a few up there.

I usually take a spare satellite receiver (not a Sky box, they're useless), a portable TV and a short piece of cable and link it all directly to the dish. That way I can see what's going on whilst tweaking the dish for optimum strength and quality.

I admit it's a bit of a pain and obviously weather dependant, but I've always managed to get a reliable end result.

Tim

Thankyou Anton, Clair and Tim, will be out tomorrow with all your info and extension cable,tv etc! I have sat and played with remote, find we can get CNN and Sky so at least we know something is working, so it must just be the direction is just out. In frustration I have just managed to close the door on the fireplace a bit too hard and smashed it, anyone know where to get a new one? local brico??

Jo,

The glass on my insert broke after two days from new, the mounting screws were too tight against the glass (factory installed) To my amazement, the glass was not covered by the guarantee but was covered by my house insurance so hopefully yours will be too.