Another question re; sky viewing card

It looks like I am going to have to buy one of these damn things. I cancelled Sky when I moved to France 2 years ago but still get this blasted message on screen telling me to change my card. Question 1:  is will they send it to France (probably not) and question 2: what do I have to do when I receive it in the way of activation?  I've seen these on E-bay and they are fetching upwards of £30!!!!  And Sky are selling them for £20. Maybe its because its Xmas!! Anyway any advice gratefully received please.

tuppence

Firstly, can I ask you a question? Do you actually need a new card?

I am assuming that you are not a Sky subscriber and only receive the free to air and free to view channels.

If this is so, then you will loose Sky Three and Fiver and Five USA - you will also have a small problem with Five, but it is still receivable.

If you do need a card because you don't want to loose the channels mentioned, then Sky will not send any new card to your French address.

Come back to us if you need anymore help, or with more info about the channels you receive.

Regards - Tim

[quote user="tuppence"]IAnyway any advice gratefully received please.

[/quote]

Be brave, take the Sky card out of the slot and wait and see what happens. Sometimes it takes a couple of days for things to change but you should receive all the free channels you had before except for CH5, which you can add manually; also a few other oddments.

If you find you don't receive all the channels you like then you might want to find out how to go about replacing your out-of-date-car, bearing in mind where you live and the fact that Sky will not not post to France.

Thanks for that Krusty, new car bought last year,much easier than a sky card too[:)]!!  in answer to other replies, I do like to watch the channel 5/5usa etc as I am an avid CSI fan. Don't really want to lose them, so if i arrange for a card to be sent to a UK address what do I have to do to activate it when received?[8-)]

thanks,  tuppence

[quote user="tuppence"]Thanks for that Krusty, new car bought last year,much easier than a sky card too[:)]!!  in answer to other replies, I do like to watch the channel 5/5usa etc as I am an avid CSI fan. Don't really want to lose them, so if i arrange for a card to be sent to a UK address what do I have to do to activate it when received?[8-)]

thanks,  tuppence

[/quote]

See here: http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1635062/ShowPost.aspx

[quote user="tuppence"]Thanks for that Krusty, new car bought last year,much easier than a sky card too[:)]!!  in answer to other replies, I do like to watch the channel 5/5usa etc as I am an avid CSI fan. Don't really want to lose them, so if i arrange for a card to be sent to a UK address what do I have to do to activate it when received?[8-)]

thanks,  tuppence
[/quote]

Well, as I said, your Sky box is quite capable of receiving Channel 5 without a card. It's just the non-user freindly way that the Sky box is designed that makes it a bit tricky at the moment. 5 USA is not possible.

If it's the CSIs that are worrying you, then you can still watch them on 5, it's just takes a little bit of fiddling about. I, and several others on here can talk you through the procedure if you wish, although, if you have a quick 'nose' through the threads on here, I'm sure you'll already find the information you need. If not, then come back.

Regards - Tim

To add Five manually (when viewing without a Sky card):

• With your digibox turned on, press the "Services" button (near the top of the remote).
  • Select number 4 (System Setup), and then 4 again ("Add Channels").
  • In the appropriate fields enter the following (you move through the fields using the up and down arrow keys).
  • In the Frequency field enter: 10.773,
  • The next three fields are toggle fields, i.e. using the left and right arrows will change the value.
  • Toggle Polarisation to : H
  • Toggle Symbol Rate to: 22000
  • Toggle FEC to : 5/6
  • Then select the last button - Find Channels.
  • Channel 5 will now be in the list of channels maybe called 6335
  • Use the Yellow button to place a tick beside each one you wish to store

and when you've finished ticking press "Select". The channel will

now be stored.

The added channel will not appear under 105 as before.

To view the aded channel: press the "Services" button, then 6 ("Other

Channels"), use the arrow keys to move to the channel you want and

press "Select".

I purchased the new £20.00 card last month, which duly arrived at my England address. Upon returning home, I replaced the SkyBox with the Pace SkyBox from my French house as it is a far better receiver, inserted the new card and it was recognised immediately.

24 hours later I removed the £20.00 card and inserted the Sky subscription card from the box I use in England. Lo & behold, it works perfectly receiving all the 'paid' for channels so it looks very much like there is no pairing of card to machine anymore.

Fearing it may suddenly stop working has proved to be unneccesary as the card has now been in place for 3 weeks without problem. 

Just to add, there was no need to activate the £20.00 card other than by placing it in the SkyBox. 

I'm on the basic subscription so that explains why there isn't a problem with swapping the card between boxes.

I don't think this has always been the case though. I can recall trying to get a card to work in a different box some years ago, but to no avail. I'm pretty sure that was also only a basic subscription too.

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

Under the old system the premium channels for Sports and Movies were paired to the box but the cheaper subscription to Discovery etc were not paired. Which channels have you subscribed for ?

[/quote]

that would explain why when I put my UK multiroom card in the machine in France it gets everything but the premium sports channels.

Just remove your sjy card, you will still get all free channels except sky 3 to get channel 5 just follow method list below

On the Sky box go to Services > System Setup > Add Channels

Enter the following details:

Frequency: 10773MHz (10.773GHz)

Polarity: Horizontal

Symbol rate: 22000 (22.0Mb)

FEC: 5/6

Go to Find Channels, highlight “6335?, and press the yellow button, then Select.

To view the channel go to Services > Other Channels, and select “6335?, this is actually “Five”

Hope that helps

Regards

Al

• 2 weeks later...
Having got my dish finally pointing in the right direction we receive a good range of channels, were we happy? no! greedy , we wanted Channel Five, for CSI and SVU and House. Followed your instructions to add channel manually ( convinced I was going to mess the whole lot up!) but! Yippee! the rest of the now the night is now devoted to CSI, NCIS,SVU, thankyou!!