Look at your f and j on keyboard

I never knew or had noticed this before.  They have a little risen dash on them.  Apparently it's to guide you when typing with both hands (without looking or in the dark I suppose!) by placing your index fingers on them.   [I]

http://fr.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091019104050AALURQL

This will change our whole lives!   [:P]

its for touch typists so they can feel where to put their lead fingers on the key board and the raised 5 is because its in the middle for the same reason so you know where you are without looking.

Not hat it helps me i still cant type after these years. lol

mme poivre,

Yes!  You got to reply just before I saw the thread (late back from French class - traffic horrendous)

Typewriters have them too.  I taught myself to touch type on a typewriter, but I am still not confident enough not to look at the keys.

For those who have never bothered to learn to touch type - the "home" keys are where you rest your four fingers on either hand, and they are supposed to return there after each key is depressed,  Needless to say, most don't.

For those who have never tired - try typing salad without looking.  It's one of the first things they get you to type in the course.

And also quick brown fox - yes you know the one .....  now that it is because it contains every letter of the alphabet - extremely good for practice.

Yes, I'm full of information no-one wants to know.....

[quote user="Judith"]mme poivre,

For those who have never bothered to learn to touch type - the "home" keys are where you rest your four fingers on either hand, and they are supposed to return there after each key is depressed,  Needless to say, most don't.

[/quote]

I am trying to work out how I can get my 4 fingers on those 2 keys. But then again I did always have pugy digitz [:-))]

I just look at the keys and then discover that I have tryped 3 lines of uppercase when I hit the Capslock by mastike [:(]

When I was learning to type, we had to shut our eyes and 'find' the home keys (f and j) and they DIDN'T have the little raised dashes on them, so your fingers had to crawl all over the keyboard until you thought you'd found them. Our typing teacher would walk up and down and rap your knuckles with a ruler (oh the education boffins would have her lynched, nowadays) if you weren't doing it right!

[quote user="Jonzjob"][quote user="Judith"]mme poivre,

[/quote]

I am trying to work out how I can get my 4 fingers on those 2 keys. But then again I did always have pugy digitz [:-))]

I just look at the keys and then discover that I have tryped 3 lines of uppercase when I hit the Capslock by mastike [:(]

[/quote]

Tried to post last night, and gave up, it was sooooo slow....

Yes, I didn't explain it too well, did I?

OK, F and J are where the fore fingers rest, (first finger for those who don't know that term), and the others follow the same pattern, middle fingers, D and K, third fingers on S and L, and little ones on A and;. And the forefinger also is used for G and H. 

But why am I bothering, you all know this - don't you??????

[quote user="Cat"]So why is there a similar raised dash on the 5 on the numerical keypad? [blink][/quote]

Look at any numerical keypad (phone, calculator), the 5 has a raised dot on it. It's designed for blind and poorly sighted users, they then know where all the other numbers are.

When I learned to touch type, we had to have a metal shield over the keys and if we so much as leaned back to glance under the shield, we had our knuckles rapped by the teacher.  It is amazing how quickly you learn when pain is involved!!

Suey H