BBC iplayer in France

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick techie question about iportal.

I have 3 computers on my network. I'm using iportal to also mask my ip so I can watch football streams without Mr Sarkozy knowing I'm using p2p, because it annoys him.

I notice that if I am logged onto iportal on one computer, I cannot log onto it with another.

Is my entire network under iportal then?

[quote user="Richard"]

I notice that if I am logged onto iportal on one computer, I cannot log onto it with another.

Is my entire network under iportal then?[/quote]

I noticed that too and Mr Clair cannot use iPortal if I am already logged on and vice-versa. See Gemini Man's post here.

When I log on and off iPortal, my SFR-Neuf connection icon shows "identification" for a few seconds, but I don't know the ramifications...

For some time, see earlier post on this thread, I have been unable to use iPortal on the Vista Desktop,stillruns sweetly on XP Netbook.

Previous attempts to uninstall, clean registry ,etc were to no avail.

Today had a good look at Connexions Reseau to find that the the Connexion Manager GUI still had IPortal and iPortal2 on display.

This has been rectified and the logiciel has been redownloaded and fresh install done.

The new iPortal connection has been defined as Public rather than Private to distinguish with the normal Ethernet Connection.

Subsequently tested on the BBC site.

Copy of first VPN Connection log below.

Système d'exploitation    : Windows NT 6.0 Service Pack 2
 Version du numéroteur     : 7.2.6002.18005
 Nom de la connexion       : iPortal
 Tous les util/util unique : Utilisateur unique
 Date/heure de début       : 25/11/2009, 12:09:00
 Nom du module, heure, ID de session, nom d'élément de session, autre info
 Type de connexion, 0=connexion à distance, 1=VPN, 2=VPN via connexion à distance
[cmdial32] 12:09:00 03 Ã‰vénement de préinitialisation Processus appelant = C:\Users\OEM\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\cmstp.exe
[cmdial32] 12:10:07 04 Ã‰vénement de préconnexion Type de connexion = 1
[cmdial32] 12:10:07 06 Ã‰vénement de prétunnel Nom utilisateur = betauser1489 Domaine =  ParamètreDUN = iPortal Tunnel Nom de périphérique = WAN Miniport (SSTP) Adresse du tunnel = iportal3.dyndns.org
[cmdial32] 12:10:09 07 Connecter l'événement 

Système d'exploitation    : Windows NT 6.0 Service Pack 2
 Version du numéroteur     : 7.2.6002.18005
 Nom de la connexion       : iPortal
 Tous les util/util unique : Utilisateur unique
 Date/heure de début       : 25/11/2009, 12:12:16
 Nom du module, heure, ID de session, nom d'élément de session, autre info
 Type de connexion, 0=connexion à distance, 1=VPN, 2=VPN via connexion à distance
[cmdial32] 12:12:16 03 Ã‰vénement de préinitialisation Processus appelant = C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

[quote user="Richard"]I notice that if I am logged onto iportal on one computer, I cannot log onto it with another.

Is my entire network under iportal then?[/quote]

No. The Iportal service only allows you to log in from one computer at a time. This prevents you from giving your login details to someone else and they using your account at the same time to access Iportal.

[quote user="Clair"]When I log on and off iPortal, my SFR-Neuf connection icon shows "identification" for a few seconds, but I don't know the ramifications...

[/quote]

Mine does the same for pretty much any VPN service like Iportal.

This is just a feature of Iportal. Other VPN services allow you to log in from multiple computers which are behind the same router (We often have Strictly Come Dancing and X-factor on at the same time on Sat evenings) :)

By the way, the Iportal beta seems to be over. New sign-ups get the following error message "Your account could not be created: Beta Full". I imagine that it's only a matter of time before those who are using the service will be required to pay for it.

[quote user="Richard"]All the password and login details are the same for everyone though. I signed up twice with different accounts and got identical login details.

[/quote]

I see...so you used 2 different e-mail accounts to get 2 different Iportal accounts and received the same login details ?  Interesting....

It looks though that when the service goes 'live' that you won't be able to connect several machines at once (as is the case now)...

yeah, I forgot the original details and the system didn't recognise my original email address to sign up with to recover the password so I used my hotmail account and got the login info.

Then later I found the original email for the first account and found the login details the same.

yeah i guess once they do go live, it will be one account per household I'd imagine.

Just received this, thought "free" iPortal was too good to be true:

After three months of trials we

think we've pretty much got things stable enough to ask you kind people to pay a

little bit each month towards the service and to help us fund the developments

that you've asked for eg. Mac support and Vista 64 to mention just a

couple.

Don't worry, it's not going to cost

a fortune to keep watching your favourites, just EUR5 per month or EUR50 for a

full 12 months.

Yep, just got that too.

But it always was going to go this route, it said so on their homepage.

It's not a great deal of money really, but if there's an fee alternative, then of course, I'm going down that route.

However, what I have a problem with if it's illegal. I wouldn't be that happy paying for this if the UK networks aren't in agreement with this.

[quote user="Richard"]

It's not a great deal of money really, but if there's an fee alternative, then of course, I'm going down that route.

However, what I have a problem with if it's illegal. I wouldn't be that happy paying for this if the UK networks aren't in agreement with this.[/quote]

There is; http://thefreevpn.com/

I doubt that useing a VPN service to access Iplayer is legal at the moment but at the same time I don't know how much the BBC cares about the problem.

CatchupTV says that from Dec 19th they will be streaming all UK Freeview channels for free without the need of a proxy/vpn so maybe hold off on paying for a yearly vpn service until then and stick to Freevpn.

• 2 weeks later...
There was a comment on their website that someone had downloaded a TB (Terrabyte?) and that they had disconnected the UK server to prevent further abuse. As for me still cannot get the ruddy thing to work, still get an error message when I try to run it, poo!..........JR