Connecting my Kindle to a public wifi spot - very frustrated

This is a long story - but I will try to be brief. 

I am trying to get one of my own word docs transferred to my Kindle 3.  I have followed all the steps to get it into my personal docs account on Amazon and it is indeed sitting there in my library in Amazon, but not letting me download the .azw file so I could transfer it via my usb. (I am given only the options to transfer via my Kindle or delete it ), and Kindle helpdesk are unable to say why this it.

I have also failed to get the Kindle connected to our own wifi, the help pages say press a certain button on the livebox - can find no button to press .. sagem 1.1 and Kindle help again no help.

So in desperation this morning I tried the local town - I could find an unlocked public network - but it would not connect, so went to McDonalds car park (I did not go inside).  Again I found the network (unlocked as I expected), but the Kindle could / would not connect to it.

So all you tecchies out there - what am I doing wrong please.

I have a kindle 3 with 3G so this is the only time I have this problem, as these docs will not transfer via 3G without cost (and I do not see why I should have to pay to access my own doc!) I usually download my books to computer and transfer via usb.

Alternatively, does anyone know how you convert .doc to .azw without having to go through Amazon?  There must surely be a  converter somewhere.

The Kindle was bought from UK site and is registered to a UK address, but it is here in France, but don't see why that should cause this particular problem (other that I don't want Amazon to know I am in France so I cannot get them to ring me back!)

Any advice gratefully received as I need this doc by Sunday!

Judith, I have the new Kindle (4) but didn't have any problems with wi-fi connection here at home, it just worked immediately. I haven't tried a public network. We a UK visitor in the summer who was unable to connect to my wi-fi network. We never managed to work out why.

As far as contacting Amazon is concerned can't you tell them that you're on holiday or staying with friends? Portability is meant to be one of the Kindle features/strongpoints.

For conversion software I've used Calibre. It's free so just Google it. Word documents have tranferred OK to my Kindle, sent to the special email address and also via USB.

Good luck!

Hi folks

Thanks for all the help so far, and sorry to delay giving my thanks.  Had to go to a funeral this afternoon for one of our English neighbours in our "old" village, died of cancer at only 61 - Yorkshire born, like me, and younger too -- so sad.  The mobi pocket idea is the best- but I think it only works with Windows, and sorry, I forgot to say, I have a mac.  I have now downloaded Calibre, and am about to try it out, once we've eaten - food awaits.

Meanwhile to answer to other points - yes I do have the wifi and 3G model - and yes, I have turned wireless on - as I said, it could find the McD's wifi, it just would not connect.

However, I shall, for the moment, continue on the conversion idea, and will come back later and report on success (or not).

If it works that will for the moment have solved the immediate need, but won't have solved the why I cannot connect to a public wifi network!

As you say, the portability of it was what attracted me, but so far..... not answered!

Yes, I know CdL, when I'd already given a pointer to Calibre, but the reference to the Nook doesn't help at all, good as it may be. It's like asking for help about a Peugeot car breakdown and getting a reply that "my Toyota doesn't do that".

I'm interested to know what the problem is here as I couldn't sort out a similar non-connection in the summer, to my own wi-fi network!!

Thanks all - I can now happily report that calibre worked - and I now have the doc on my kindle, and it is  now ready for use when I need it on Sunday.

So the panic is over and I wished I'd thought about conversion software before instead of spending 3 to 4 days trying to get the wifi to work.

However, and like Sid, I too would like to know why I can't connect it to the public wifi - any ideas out there, please?

Judith,

I've read back through your posts and can't find the answer to this question : have you ever managed to wireless connect back in the UK? I'm just wondering if it might be a wireless channels problem ?? Wireless routers seem to use different channels depending on which country they are set for..... (probably talking tosh ...too late at night !)

p

Judith, I'll try this next time I'm in a public wi-fi zone, but that's unlikely to be before the end of the month when I have a UK visit. I'll let you know how I get on (or don't get on!).

Just to clarify, and as Gyn Paul asks, have you had a wi-fi connection previously?

Thanks, again.

Simple answer - no.  I only got it when my sister brought it to France with her about 2 months ago, so though it is registered to my UK amazon account, where I do most of my purchases and which I had long before I came to France .... my French address was registered as the main address until I told a white lie and changed it to my sister's UK address, which has been my secondary address ever since I came to France.

What I am trying to remember (and after a walk to the monument des morts and several verres de vin d'amitié today not likely to remember) is whether I tried to connect to wifi before I changed back to the UK address.  I think I did, but only to my own wifi, and since it is a mac etc, the original problem arose.  Since I could get books via 3G the lack of wifi did not become a real problem unitl I tried this last manoeuvre.  Mind you, since I hoped to be able to access emails on it also,  when travelling, that too has not yet worked ...

>>I have also failed to get the Kindle connected to our own wifi, the help pages say press a certain button on the livebox - can find no button to press .. sagem 1.1 and Kindle help again no help.

If it is a Sagem 1.1 I assume you are with Orange and this page http://assistance.orange.fr/livebox-sagem-fonctionnalites-1309.php will help you identify where the button is that you have to press in order for the livebox to accept the connection with your kindle, scroll down to' les boutons', the one you are after is 'Association'. After pressing the button you have 10 minutes to complete the connection. You only have to press the button the FIRST time a new device wants to connect to the livebox, subsequent connections are automatic and seamless!

As far as hotspots are concerned, I have never used them but you may have to go into the establishment and obtain a key still...they may be free but still secured..perhaps someone who has used a kindle in a McDo could comment.

Whenever we're on the road, we tend to pop into McDonalds to access the internet using Mrs Sunday's Ipad.  You first have to start up your browser which immediately displays a 'welcome to McDonald's' page which you just click on to connect (no access code required).  Once you've done that, it's surf-on...

Similar procedure when staying in a hotel or campsite, except you may have to ask them for the access code which you enter on the welcome page.

Not sure if it's the same with a Kindle but as it does feature a web browser, this may be the answer to getting connected.

PS:  Trying to logon whilst sitting in McDonalds car park doesn't seem to work, perhaps they keep the signal deliberately low so you have to physically go in and buy a cuppa from them.....

• 3 weeks later...

Results of my Wi-Fi connection trails:

Whilst in the UK last weekend I stayed at my son's house where he has a BT wi-fi router. I tried for over an hour and I just could not connect. My Kindle could "see" the network but having entered the p/w several times, to the point of wanting to chuck the Kindle through the window, I still could not connect. The next day I tried "just one more time" and it connected immediately. I've no idea what the difference was as neither the router nor the Kindle were re-booted in the meantime. A Google search brings up loads of similar experiences with no apparent single solution.

Later at the airport I was able to connect in the public wi-fi zone, albeit needing a Cloud account registration first; better to set this up before you leave home! This is very time-consuming with the pop-up keyboard window on the basic Kindle4.

The experimental web browser also works fairly well, so you can get internet access in an emergency if required whilst on holiday, to read emails etc. Shopping in the Kindle store is not so brilliant as you can't see the prices until you click on the individual book titles. Again, it's probably best to load up with books at home not on the go. Of course if I'd wanted all these web facilities as high priority I'd have bought a different device in the first place... or none at all, since it was the price which also attracted me.

As a reading device it works fine and it's compact enough to slip into a pocket. On the whole I'm pleased with it.

I've been tempted to buy (in the UK) the wifi +3G model with keyboard. Part of the attraction would be to get the free 3G access when at the house in France to check gmail. I know the browser is clunky but it might suffice as we have no telephone and internet connection at the house. I think our chances of actually getting a 3G connection at the house is pretty unlikely but I understand if it can't get a 3G connection it tries the next best available.

Again, it's probably best to load up with books at home not on the go.

Thats what I do, before any trip I go through the bestseller list and or look at my favorite categories Lee Child, David Baldacci, Micheal Connelly etc and stock up......

I think I have downloaded 30 books since mid March, as space was one of my reasons for purchasing, thats probably about a yard of books !

[quote user="DerekJ"]I've been tempted to buy (in the UK) the wifi +3G model with keyboard. Part of the attraction would be to get the free 3G access when at the house in France to check gmail. I know the browser is clunky but it might suffice as we have no telephone and internet connection at the house. I think our chances of actually getting a 3G connection at the house is pretty unlikely but I understand if it can't get a 3G connection it tries the next best available.[/quote]

Yes - you can end up on a rather slow 2G/EDGE connection - which is still better than nothing, I suppose. Just be aware that it will not be able to open any message attachments or deal with complex pages - eg I don't know if you can eg use any sites that you might want to use to book things.

Regards

Pickles

I have had similar problems (from the description, anyway) and I think I found the answer.

I have a Kindle 3, with Wifi and 3G, and a Sagem Livebox 2 (the one that's flat and with a corner missing)

In the end, to get the Kindle to connect to my Livebox's wifi, I had to open the Livebox menu (type "Livebox" into your internet browser), log in as an administrator, go to the "Settings" tab, then open "Livebox" and "Wifi Settings" and then enter the Kindle's MAC address as a paired device that the Livebox is allowed to talk to. After that no problem at all.

Previously, pushing the button on the Livebox had no effect at all. The Kindle could "see" the Livebox but not connect to it.

You can find your Kindle's own MAC address in the Kindle's "settings" menu.

I should add that I have no security enabled on the Livebox (I'm in the middle of nowhere, not even a public road nearby) and in theory the Kindle ought to be able to connect immediately. Curiously, I've found that some other devices will connect automatically to our Wifi here and others require this "paired device" entry in the Livebox's innards.

Give it a try, Judith!

OK and merci.  I've just sen this - and I will try it - but not tonight - I'm bushed and signing off soon ...  I have now downloaded loads of free books, not bought ANY yet, and must have at least 200 on there now - spent 2 hours in the doctor's today reading one of my old favourites  - the Black Moth - but still to trying to connect to  he internet.  Project for another day I think.  Will report back.

My Kindle connects at home no problem, and it's the same for visitors who wish to connect laptops or iphones, they only have to enter the WPA-PSK code (I DO have security enabled even though the nearest house is some distance away).

At my son's house in UK where he has a BT box (I can't remember which box) when I try to connect I get a list of 6 available networks, presumably all of the neighbours, and his is at the top of the list with the strongest signal. His WEP code is 26 characters, so it's very annoying! There are no buttons to press on the router there, or indeed here on my Netgear one). The Kindle refuses to connect. Then, the following morning, it worked first time!

I have read that the Kindle doesn't work on channel numbers above 10, but that's not the issue here.

I suspect some sort of software fault which may be rectified at some point (?), or perhaps it;s interference? I've already updated my Kindle software and it made no difference.

It's all a minor irritation but it still works as a reader, which was what it was bought for.