buying new computer Mac or PC?

As Norman says, PC with no OS at all - saving about £80 by not having to buy Windows. Install Linux which is free and so are just about all the programs for it. You then have a computer that costs 25% of a Mac and is just as good.

.......... or, if you appreciate things of real beauty, buy yourself an iMac.

Consider this;

Aluminium & Glass or Plastic & Plastic.

Virtually No Viruses or Lots of Viruses.

Sensibly priced Software or Rip-off Software.

Occasional security upgrades or almost daily windows security upgrades

Programme removal:  Drop it in the Trash or

Do it the longwinded Windows way and pray you haven't removed any shared DLL files.

You will not regret it.

Agree totally, Bugsy.

A little question - not sure what to do.

I have a longlost and recently rediscovered cousin.

We email each other now occasionally.

She lives in France.

We have relocated and are now based in UK and Tenerife.

I have just received two one-liner emails purporting to be from her. The first one was sent to more than just me - not sure how many recipients. It just didn't sound like her - it started with "Hi" for a start and there was an attachment named something like "Re 1".

I deleted the thing.

The second one was just entitled "RE 5" so I didn't even open the email.

I think she must have acquired some sort of virus. Don't know much about these things (I have a Mac!)

Should I email my cousin or will that cause more problems. Don't even know her phone number so I couldn't call even if I wanted to.

Have already sent her a Christmas card so I can't add a ps on that.

Not sure how these viruses (viri?) work.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if she is on this forum but then I don't know what her forum name would be.

Funnily enough my wife had the same sort of problem with her emails. Dodgy messages going to all her contacts. Nothing to do with her computer or OS (Mac Mini / OS X) but her hotmail account had been hacked. That was what finally let me convince her to switch to having a conventional email hosting package, with her own domain for good measure.

Personally I find that Macs, Windows PCs, Linux boxes and sundry other systems I've used over the years are all much of a muchness. All have strengths in certain areas and all have weaknesses. When I finally stop earning my living with computers I'll almost certainly settle on Linux, simply because of the zero cost of keeping up on the software front and relatively low cost of hardware compared to Apple-land.

My tip, for what it worth, to the OP is to go visit some shops and have a play with an Apple (and a Linux machine if you can find one) and see how you feel. I agree with Albert's comment, they are all much of a muchness which is why it's important to buy what you feel comfortable with at the end of the day, after all it's your money.

My iMac is a thing of beauty, with just a screen and a tiny keyboard, so if your computer will be in a highly visible area of the house you might be swayed by appearance.

They may not get viruses, but there is not so much software available for them. The tiny keyboard is a bit irritating. And the incredibly stylish mouse has stopped scrolling in one direction - apparently a frequent problem that can only be cleaned out by snapping off the plastic lugs underneath (there's no way to unscrew the base of it). I have given up on that, and gone for a little Belkin mouse now.

I am just as comfortable with a PC; I only got a Mac because of working on book layouts and that is what the designer and his software used.

[quote user="Alex H"][quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]

If you're doing a lot of graphic work, definitely a mac.

[/quote]

Could you expand on that a bit for me (I've never used a Mac) - surely an application is the same whether it's on Mac or PC ?

[/quote]

Your right.

Apple computers have historically been used in the print industry mainly because they, and the software that ran on them, could output in postscript which is a print data format used within the print industry at that time. Also they were the first computers to use Aldus PageMaker and later Adobe products such as Photoshop and Illustrator which made them ideal for the print industry especially as with the ability (not available in Microsoft software) to output in postscript meant they could be connected directly to large industrial printing machines. They were  also the first desktop computers to be net workable using Apple Talk. As the years have rolled on and the Internet has taken hold designers have moved from the print industry to Internet based products and have course taken their Mac's with them. Postscript finally became available on Microsoft Windows (Windows 3) and the Aldus (now owned by Adobe) and the other Adobe products were ported to Windows.

Since Apple started to use Intel chipsets Windows can be installed as a primary operating system although Apple will not licences the Mac operating system to run on anything other than a Mac. Basically as Mac's use the same components these days as a PC (Audio, networking and graphics cards for example) there is little or no difference between the two except for their physical appearance which it has to be said is somewhat better than most PC's.

This meant that whatever you could do with a Mac you could do with a Windows PC. So in the long run your right because there is nothing now unique software wise to the Mac's that you can't do on a PC.

Windows and the associated products are by far the most used products. The Windows operating system is installed on over 78% of the worlds computers, Linux around 1.3% and Apple about 13.5% with a few odd ones making up the balance.

Windows may not be the most popular operating system in the world by users but the bottom line is there are so many products that run only under Windows which is why it has the biggest market share as an operating system.

At the end of the day and as I said before go play in a shop and choose a computer and operating system that you feel happy with.

We find ourselves in the same boat as the OP,  and having looked round the standard shops in the retail parks and found virtually no Desktops at all ("Oh no sir,  everyone wants a laptop or a netbook now") we have been given the same advice about buying a bare computer.

In our case it seems likely that the copy of Windows XP on the failed computer will be copied (by someone who knows more than me) onto the new one,   and we'll also finally have a crack at using Linux.

It will be amazingly satisfying *not* to have to be forced to buy yet another copy of Windows (as in the past) and it is good that finally bare computers have become available to everyone.  

But what surprised me was the absence of cheap basic Desktops in all those retail outlets,   we keep being told that people have little money to spend and yet the only ones I saw were top of the range high-performance machines at £500 and upwards.

Thanks for everyone's opinions so far.

We are taking everything on board and having a think.

Where do you get naked computers? I must say the whole idea of DIY installation is quite scary.

While I can use quite complex programmes (I had one of the first PC operated Pagemakers) our experience of loading new applications on to our erxisting pc has rarely been trouble free.

We are thinking aesthetics too, as the new house is open plan, and have been quite struck by the Dell all- in-one systems. But the Luddite in me is worried about relying on wireless connections.

Living up to my name, and still confused........

[quote user="Quillan"] Apple computers have historically been used in the print industry mainly because of format used within the print industry at that time.  Basically as Mac's use the same components these days as a PC (Audio, networking and graphics cards for example) there is little or no difference between the two except for their physical appearance which it has to be said is somewhat better than most PC's. [/quote]

My background tool of choice from mid 80's til 2000; In addition to it's appearance it had a lovely intuitive interface (after using Berthold), literally plug and play though subsequent upgrades added their own challenges. After 2000 my role involved more travelling and I discovered that the value of the Apple laptop meant it was more likely to disappear. (And not without it's failures) so I bought a cheaper PC laptop and discovered it did all I needed for about a third of the price. The difference now would pay for any tablet pc - pays yer money and takes yer choice . . .

amazon Apple- -£985    -   

amazon. Toshiba- £370-

I would go for a barebone PC and install Linux - free software for just about anything and "practically" virus free. Nothing is virus free, not even Macs. Linux predominates in the server market.

As regards where to buy check on-line retailers like LDLC.com who will put one together for you from items of your choice at a reasonable price - at last reckoning about €15.

Other sites to look at are Cdiscount.com and Rueducommerce which has recently been bought out by cdiscount.

As regards relying on wi-fi around the house you can try CPL plugs which send the connection via the power sockets - works well if you are one the same phase but can be made to work across phases also.

Just my 2cts.

[quote user="halfblind"]As regards relying on wi-fi around the house you can try CPL plugs which send the connection via the power sockets - works well if you are one the same phase but can be made to work across phases also. [/quote]

Sorry to go a bit off-topic but could you explain how to do that ? As my daughter is having a problem with wifi in her son's bedroom as it was a new room built above the garage and is on a different electrical circuit.

Will pm you if you prefer. Many thanks.

Sue

[quote user="Quillan"]

Windows and the associated products are by far the most used products. The Windows operating system is installed on over 78% of the worlds computers, Linux around 1.3% and Apple about 13.5% with a few odd ones making up the balance.

[/quote]

Nice statistics, Q, although a little incredible. Care to justify, or at least give a reference?

[quote user="tonyv"][quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote]

Nice statistics, Q, although a little incredible. Care to justify, or at least give a reference?
[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems which uses nine sources in its table.

There is also this http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10 which says just about the same thing.

[quote user="Chezstevens"]If you are interested at barebones computers then Zotac Zbox' may be just the ticket (available thru Amazon). Load Linux or Windoze - can even select model with no memory and HD - if you fancy sourcing your own.[/quote]

I bought from these people and my machine was of similar spec.

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Pc-Bureau-Solis-Intel-i3-2100-a-2x3-10-Ghz-memoire-4Go-DDr3-/130498853032?pt=FR_GH_Informatique_Ordinateurs_Ordinateurs_de_Bureau&hash=item1e625678a8

Sides of the case are a bit thin, more like food tin material, but I have to say that as I don't play games but do use a shed load of different software it has a good speed for me. I don't notice any difference in speed when doing multiple things like ripping DVD's (which is processor intensive as it decodes the video) and using the Internet and our booking software all at the same time. Have to say the prices have gone up a bit, I bought mine in Dec 2009 and paid 279 Euros including free delivery. This is with nothing other than the box (no keyboard, mouse, screen or operating system). I bought a copy of Vista Ultimate from Amazon for £89 (OEM copy) as it is better than Windows 7 for my particular needs.

The machine (this will be the kiss of death) has never gone wrong and works at the same speed as the day I set it up. Would I buy from them again, yes I would.

If you want to 're-activate' your old Windows XP you can do this via Microsoft by email or phoning them. Tell them your computer has gone bang and that you have thrown it in the bin and bought another. Within 24 hours you will be able to install your copy of Windows XP on your new machine using the existing key code with no problems. If you don't know your code but can get somebody to put your HDD in their machine there are loads of programs around you can download and they will retrieve this information for you.

MAC users always really rate the product, and to be fair they are really well-finished pieces of kit.

Unless I had money to spare, which I don't these days (did I ever?) I'd have to go PC. A lot of my avoidance of MAC is based on work experience when they were difficult to network into a MS BackOffice system and there were so few applications available. That has changed. If you want to buy MAC just make sure that you'll be able to do the things you want. Email, browsing, photos... no problem.

Since I am no tecchie I stayed away from this debate until now.  I was a sworn pc person, until I had to use Mac's in my last (before retirement) job, and wow had they come on apace since the first time I worked in an office with them where (early 90's)  all but mine were Mac, but the software we need to run for my work would not work on a Mac so I had to be a pc.  15 years later - and all  has changed.  When it became obvious that I had to replace my pc portable at home in about 2006, i chose a Mac since I was by then using one at work.  Windows had moved so fast that I liked it no more - and (so far) as a non-techie - I have never regretted the decision (imac 17" desktop - intentionally, I hate laptops because of the screen.  I wanted a qwerty keyboard and desktop, so decided to buy it before I moved to France.

We now have hubby on a French laptop - pc - and me on a mac desktop, English - internet via wireless and livebox and so far ok.  Did have to get some one to set it up all up initially,  I cannot read his screen - I love the ease of use of the mac - and it looks great too.  I can adjust the screen print size easily (far more easily than the laptop) and can print more easily too .... 

More expensive - yes, but for me it does what I want ... I have been converted, as you can see.

My wife has a Linux PC and she is just a user. She does photo editing writes books and blogs and much more. We did not need to get anyone in to set anything up as it just works. She can adjust the screen print size as much as she wants. When she want to print something she presses the PRINT button and it happens, what could be easier than that? When she wanted some software for video editing she just downloaded it for free and did not have to pay MS or Apple hundreds of pounds.