Hi everyone,

I have just received a phone call from a very distraught english friend in our village.  She received a phone call from an English company saying that her SSL was out of date on her computer and then asked her to go through lots of things on her computer to test it.  They gave her a telephone number of 00441513241514 and an email address of [email protected] - has anyone heard of this as being a scam.  The problem is they convinced her that she needed to update this or her computer would be open to viruses, she therefore gave her bank card details to them!!!! 

My hubby has gone down to try to help her out and we've told her to contact her french bank immediately.

If anyone can give guidance please.

Thanks

Suey

It would appear Wooly may well be right as there are reports elsewhere on the internet of similar call to people saying the SSL has expired and requesting access to their  computer.

Did the caller have an Indian accent ?  That is reported by others who have taken this call . No doubt somebody will be along who knows all about this "Scam " should it be confirmed it is one

We have been online and accessed her accounts on my computer so that she could change all passwords.  Thankfully she does not use online banking.  Be aware folks, these people are so convincing.

Suey

Having spent a great deal of time this afternoon checking all on our friends computer, all seems okay.  Thankfully.  Could have been so much worse.  however, we still have to see how much has been taken from her French bank account.

Thanks all.  ......and by the way, on investigation it appears that these scammers are hitting all over the world so be aware - be very aware.

Suey

My friend had a phone call telling her that her computer was in trouble and open to viruses. A man with an Indian accent and I think pretending to be Natwest bank.  She said, 'Oh dear, that sounds serious'.....  and was told to turn on her computer.  She then pointed out she doesn't have one!  The phone was slammed down.

Worry, as she used to have a computer and would not have thought to wonder how someone in another country could view her computer and see problems.  Also how did this person get her phone number, know her bank (or it could be a lucky guess i suppose, and know she is English?  Has the bank got a security problem I wonder.

[quote user="Mrs Trellis"]

My friend had a phone call telling her that her computer was in trouble and open to viruses. A man with an Indian accent and I think pretending to be Natwest bank.  She said, 'Oh dear, that sounds serious'.....  and was told to turn on her computer.  She then pointed out she doesn't have one!  The phone was slammed down.

Worry, as she used to have a computer and would not have thought to wonder how someone in another country could view her computer and see problems.  Also how did this person get her phone number, know her bank (or it could be a lucky guess i suppose, and know she is English?  Has the bank got a security problem I wonder.

[/quote]

Did he know the bank or did he ask a few 'innocent' questions to find out who she banked with?

Her phone number easy - just keep trying different numbers or buy a list - there are directories

You can buy verified lists on the Internet if you know what to look for.

It's normally 'Microsoft' that tries the old virus trick but I guess they came up with bank names because of the publicity about the 'Microsoft' scam. One way to deal with them is to ask them for their number and tell them you will call them back because your just about to go to the toilet or whatever. If you can't get a number then you know. In the unlikelihood of you getting a number then ask what department they are in and their name then look on the banks website or in the phone book for the banks phone number and phone them then ask for the person via the departmental name.

[quote user="Mrs Trellis"]So people can buy a list of phone numbers of Brits living in France?[/quote]

Perhaps some simple filters will isolate nationalities. For instance Smith is going to be Brit and by using other common surnames the list can be split into nationalities. What is left could then be manually scanned and educated guesses made.

So now the scammers can have Dutch speaking people phoning those identified as being Dutch etc. If they get it wrong try another.

Remember, labour is cheap in India even those with degrees and the amount that can be scammed high.

Paul

In the last few weeks there has been a noticeable increase in the number of incoming ''dodgy type'' calls. They are in French and obviously know my name ( not difficult, it's in the phone book ), the numbers always come up as 'withheld'. My normal response is to answer clearly in English, at which point there is inevitably a sharp click as they disconnect.

[quote user="powerdesal"]…the numbers always come up as 'withheld'.   My normal response is to answer clearly in English… [/quote]

You are evidently a very generous natured person.  If a number is 'withheld' I wouldn't even consider going to the effort of lifting the receiver.

Well we are sure that the hospitals sell our details because since I was in hospital three months ago, we are constantly receiving phone calls regarding mutuelles!  The exact same thing happened last year when I was in hospital.  I suppose the hospitals have to try something to make money.

Suey