Compulsary microchipping for all dogs proposed

[quote user="Théière"]How does it help?[/quote]

I read elsewhere of a suggestion for Police Stations to be issued with chip readers . I can see a check on dog owners out walking their dogs a possibility from time to time and a fine issued for no chip or licence That might reduce the number of those who want to  take on a puppy.   Then soon find they cant cope with it and need  to get rid of it . Its too easy to take on a dog these days .Anything that makes people stop and think abut what they are about to do and what it will entail when it comes to taking on a dog may result in more dogs being owned by responsible owners and less bred to end up in rescue centers .

I think all dogs should have their bottoms chipped so that when they make a mess on the pavement a "man from the council" could scan the deposit and return it to it's rightful owners owner, preferably on his door step.

Just putting on my tin hat and hiding behind the wall. [:D]

I think this would be a really good idea especially if it was linked to something to control the owners. In the UK they missed the opportunity years ago when they got ride of the dog licence. What they should have done is to rename it to a pet licence and ramped up the one time fee to say £100. The they should then have put really steep fines in for people selling animals to those that have no licence. Lets say 10k for the first offence then double up each time for the next two with a 10 years jail sentence if your caught a forth time. The number of the microchip (or tattoo for animals where a microchip is not best suited) should be added to the licence so it's simple to work out who owns what. Education is also very important, not for the animal but the human. I would have added to the above system compulsory training and test. Nothing very clever but basic stuff like cleaning up poo and why, dogs and children etc. That way there is no excuse.

There is no such thing as a bad dog, just a bad owner.

• 2 months later...
I think this is a wizard wheeze that will not work. I cannot see that irresponsible breeders and owners will be conscientious about this. There are already people who cut greyhounds ears off in order to remove their tattooes. I don't think the government has the resources, even if it had the inclination, to make it work properly.

Like Wooly I wouldn't trust the RSPCA to take responsibility for it.

Hoddy

So what is the problem this idea is supposed to address?

Inner city gang members having ‘status’ aggressive dogs for intimidation or worse? People owning dogs and taking no responsibility for their actions? People abandoning their pets when they are tired of them?

55% of the dogs in Battersea are staffies or staffie crosses.

A compulsory dog licence that showed the owner’s name and contact details on the dog’s collar would be far easier to check and police.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

If you can't afford the £35 you probably can't really afford the dog......

[/quote]

Absolutely RH. I can remember people begging outside the tube stations in London with their dogs asking for money to feed the dog or dog's. We see the same over here outside supermarkets and it makes me mad. If you have to resort t begging how can you possibly afford to keep a dog? Personally, and in both countries, I buy a tin of dog food and give it to them (the people not the dog) only to get a load of verbal abuse. I refuse to give them money because they always have a tin of extra strong lager to hand. The dogs never asked for this life, they don't understand their owner is a drunken ar*hole. Dogs offer love to their owners regardless of how bad they treat them. This is why I stick to my by comments I made earlier in this thread. Licence the owners not the dog.

When we first got Rocco, a rescue dog, I took a couple of days off to help settle him in. On the second day I got a call about a potential pitch for a city PR company’s corporate identity, I drove into the city for the briefing. Rocco, along for the ride, did not like the idea of being left in a dark car park so I took him with me. We passed a guy soliciting donations, sitting with his dog outside a tube station. Rocco was fascinated.

We got to the PR company and were both shown into the boardroom which had a fine reproduction antique table. As the brief was explained to me I could hear the sound of gnawing, one leg of the table had now acquired a bit of character.

I chose another way back to the car, again passing a guy and his dog begging outside a tube station. Strangely, I did not win the pitch for the PR company’s corporate identity but I have managed so far to avoid Rocco’s career choice for me – to be with him on the pavement outside Putney station.

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="Russethouse"]

If you can't afford the £35 you probably can't really afford the dog......

[/quote]

Absolutely RH. I can remember people begging outside the tube stations in London with their dogs asking for money to feed the dog or dog's. We see the same over here outside supermarkets and it makes me mad. If you have to resort t begging how can you possibly afford to keep a dog? Personally, and in both countries, I buy a tin of dog food and give it to them (the people not the dog) only to get a load of verbal abuse. I refuse to give them money because they always have a tin of extra strong lager to hand. The dogs never asked for this life, they don't understand their owner is a drunken ar*hole. Dogs offer love to their owners regardless of how bad they treat them. This is why I stick to my by comments I made earlier in this thread. Licence the owners not the dog.

[/quote]

If you were to read the book Pads mentions 'A Street Cat named Bob' you would read that some of the beggars are actually very happy to have the dog food

Ha, that reminds me wasn't there a couple of 'round the world rowers' who ate nothing but dog food (tried a google but nothing comes up). High in protein and stores well (long life etc) apparently. I also remember years ago seeing a program on TV about dog and cat food. It's is made and packaged under stricter conditions that human food on the basis that you could sue them for a lot of money if your dog died due to contaminated food.