With Deep Regret! UPDATE!

Morse98

It is with the deepest regret and sadness that I have to announce that my beloved Morse(9yr old GSD)is no longer with us.

I had to unfortunately make the decision with the vet this morning that we have done all we can for my precious and therefore we put him to sleep at 0900hrs . He has been every ill since January and the vet is fairly sure he had Prostrate Cancer as well as EPI. He has gone from a 45kg long haired GSD to just under 20kg and was losing alot of his hair and had given up eating anything in the last few days although he still wanted to go for a walk this morning and get in the car. I was with him in the end and he fell asleep in my arms.
As you can imagine I am devastated and this is extremly difficult to write as it is hard to see the keyboard through all the tears.

Morse I will always love you for the times that you made me laugh, nuzzled me and laid your head on my lap when I was sad, even for the times you went out in the rain and mud and ran in with your muddy paws all over the place and then settled yourself down on the sofa! God Bless you my darling I will see you again oneday!

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

my deepest sympathy.  I know what it is like to have to make that decision, and the sadness and loneliness that follows.  Think  of the good memories, and often.

Please know that we're thinking of you, as I'm sure a lot of people are. 

The day we get them we invest in grief but what joy they give us in between.  I know what you are going through and my heart goes out to you.  Try and remember Morse as he was in his prime not as he was in the end.  It is so very hard to part with them isn't it.

Sue 

My partner and I love animal desperately and can not stand to see them in any kind of pain.

we have to move to France in order to make a home for pets......the travelling is not ideal...especially for cats.

I can understand those who do not enjoy the company of animals and find their lives forfilled without there presense and love.Pushka has been gone for more than 13 years, Bingy 5 years and Boodie 3 but there are tears shed in their memory....saying thank you for knowing them and  remembering how lovely they were.

I am an absolute believer in the animal kingdom and their trust and devotion to the human kingdom is very much above that which we as humans give to them.

Christine Animal will know that last year we rescued a dog here in Normandie and it has not been plain sailing yet we are just keeping on going and will get there.

For all of my life I have loved the breed Basset Hound and not so many years ago lost my two beloved hounds one 16 and one 17 and within days of each other.  Their photographs are in the study as I put this together.

Now Jean Claude the Basset is about eleven and is now totally blind Bridie the Staffie is now totally deaf and almost totally blind and the other two rescues are just enjoying themselves here in Normandie.

My heart goes out to you and every day I just reflect upon what my lovely departed friends have given to me and added to my life.

It is so sad.

kindest regards

Morse I deliberately tried not to read you poem for I very well knew the outcome.

I am sixty three years old and during some of my darkest days and going through a particular hard time and divorce my bassets were my strength.

I have just read the poem and I am distraught and it brings back so many terrible times and when all I had to hold on to my my lovely hounds and whom seemed to know when we were walking through Chepstow woods that 'Dad' had a problem.  I talked to them and they looked up to me somewhat knowingly.  There are those out there and on this forum who would treat this as a sign of weakness I could not care less.

My thoughts are with you.

My heart goes out to you too as I also know only too well the pain of losing a beloved pet.

Despite the immense joy that our many cats brought us over the years since our last one passed away last year and at the fine age of 20 we have resolved to have no more as the heartache of the inevitable loss has become just too much for us to bear. Even now it still chokes me up thinking of her (and other previous cats) and I'm not in the least ashamed to admit that I'm writing this through tears of sadness....[:(]

I hope in time you will find some comfort in a new companion.

Having just been through the same thing, I really feel for you.  But you have the comfort of knowing that you gave Morse a loving home, a happy life and a dignified end.  Would that we could all have the same thing ourselves....

Like all the others, I hope you will eventually find a new set of paws to bring you joy.

Chrissie (81)

Hello Everyone,

I would just like to say Thank you so much!

I have not been on the forum or read my emails for a couple of days since I had to make the heart rending decision to let my beloved 'Morse' go. However I have now read through all of the kind words you have sent and although it has made me cry yet again it is so heart warming.

Shannon, I hope you are ok after going with your baby today and of course please do print off the poem to keep. In fact I did not write it! I wish I could take credit for it because I agree with you and think it is truly beautiful! It was sent to me by a very good friend and it is the poem that will go next to a picture of Morse that I am intending to put on the wall. I seem to be able to stop crying for a few hours today however the house feels so empty, as most of you GSD owners know they talk alot and Morse was one that talked most of the time!

Chrissie, I sincerely hope you pain is easing now and you are able to remember the good times.

I truly miss my boy however I do know that I have done the best thing for him and as I loved him so much it was the only thing I could do! I also know that I will see him again oneday and he will be as he was in his prime.

I would like to wish you all the very best for the future and may all of your babies stay well for as long as possible. Good Luck to you all and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the help and support you gave me whilst Morse was here and for all the support since he has gone.

God Bless you all!

Just to let you all know I will have a new companion however NOT to replace Morse as such as I had already arranged to save a beautiful Percheron Horse (see post Urgent Help Needed For Horses) and I am going to collect her on Monday so hopefully we will be able to build a new life together andhelp each other get over recent sad times.

Hello Pads,

Thanks for those kind words.

Her name is 'Lancia' well actually it's 'Lancia 3' she is registered in the French Percheron Stud Book!

I am going to keep her name as it part of the thing that I like about her although I wouldn't care what she was called I would still have gone and got her!  It's one of the things though that I think Fate played a part in. They are:

1. Her name, I drive a Lancia(Oh not sure if I should admit to that!).

2. When I went down to see her I looked at her papers and her date of birth is the date hubby and I got engaged!

3. Again on checking her papers she was registered on the 9th September 1999 exactly a year to the date before we got married!

So all in all very spooky and in my opinion fate!!!!!!!!

Will post a picture of her once I get her home, I am going to collect her on Monday. So hopefully we will be able to build a new life together and help each other get over recent sad times. 

However Melissa has posted a picture of her on the posting: Urgent Help Needed for Horses

I began reading your posting being my normal self.. and ended up with tears in my eyes.. Oh yes, I understand what you must feel..

We ve all lost one or more little companions, and each time it is so painful, and they are never forgotten....

I now feel like joining my dog on the sofa and give him a big big hug..   

Your poem was very VERY touching....

Hiya Pads,

I have got Lancia(8yr old Percheron) home and she has been an angel, she was a dream going into the trailer(even though I bought the biggest head collar I could get my hands on and it wasn't flippin big enough!) and on the journey home, even coming out she was wonderful. Although now she is in one of my fields she doesn't want to come to me at the moment not even for treaties! Not surprising really she needs to build up some trust so it will be a slow process just hope I can catch her soon! as the vet is coming on Wednesday to look over her and do all her Innoculations and worming etc. I also have to book the farrier as her feet are in a dreadful state and I don't think she has been groomed for yonks so that should be fun too!

As she is chunky think she will fit in with our family really well hee hee!!!!!!  She has certainly brought a smile to my face which is the first time since my awful week last week so I hope there are plenty more smiles to come.  I still miss and ache for my baby boy however hopefully Lancia will be able to fill some of that awful gap in my heart.

Piccys as soon as I learn how to get them from my camera onto here!

Best Wishes
Rita

Thats great , well done

Go and sit in the field take a book to read and just pretend shes not there , keep quite , she wont be able to resist coming for a looksee, still dont look at her just pretend shes not there . hold out your hand with the treat (she may may not take it) but dont talk or move just keep reading , this way you will just become part of her field life . slowly build up the moving and a few noises till she is use to you in her field  and knows there wil a treat connected with her coming to you , rather then being chased and then given a treat. 

kep us in touch with how its goes[:)]

v a

Morse98 , I did hug my dog twice, one time for me, one for you..

The vet told me my dog is a big dog, normally he should live around ten years.. This is not much.. [:'(] 

My son said " they should live longer.. I wish we could have the same dog for all our life..."

In French we say that " truth comes out of children's mouths "........ xxxxxx

Frenchie,

Thanks for giving your baby a hug from me.

I wholeheartedly agree 10yrs is NOT long and you son is quite correct if only we could have the same dog until it is our time to go.

Hopefully you will have many more years to come yet, Thinking of you.

Kindest regards

Rita