Last night I was at the Caen ferry port terminal and had some time to spare so i took a walk around the car park. I was surprised to see so many english registered cars parked there and even more alarmed to see most of them without a valid uk road tax disc which as we all know is illegal.

Having plenty of time on my hands i counted 34 uk reg cars and 26 of these had either no road tax disc at all or had an expired disc. In a few cases realy old discs such as 2002 or 2003 expiry dates were showing.

Now as I am a person who believes in doing everything right I made sure i registered my uk car properly over here in france and paid the required fee to the french government. So why shouldn't others do the same or at least carry on paying their taxes properly in the uk ?

Anyway to make me feel better about it i went round and wrote down all the registration numbers. Today I have sent all the details to the dvla in swansea so with a bit of luck some of these law breakers will get the fines they deserve.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've seen a very old english car driving round here for some time and yesterday it was parked in the local supermarket. Whilst admiring it,it is pre-1965 and in wonderful condition, I too noticed the UK road tax expired back in July. Obviously the vehicle is not french insured as there is no window certificate, so what happens if this car hits a local vehicle,will his insurers pay out or will the victim have to suffer.Does lack of road tax cancel insurance? It annoys me no end when british people do this,everyone french and those living here full time have to pay,so why shouldn't they?

The UK Police now have a comuter facility which is directly linked to UK insurance company's central data base so if these cars go back to the UK, the Police can get information about them much quicker.

According to one of the UK broadsheets the new automatic registration plate readers over motorways - port roads being targetted which should make life interesting for some our our fellow ex-pats who go back in their uninsured cars - will be used to send letters to the last registered address of the car owner, same way as they now can with VELs, prosecution to follow apparently if there is no response.

And I sem to recall that the original message is also word for word the same as TK's message - another wind-up probably.

The UK Police now have a comuter facility which is directly linked to UK insurance company's central data base so if these cars go back to the UK, the Police can get information about them much quicker.

According to one of the UK broadsheets the new automatic registration plate readers over motorways - port roads being targetted which should make life interesting for some our our fellow ex-pats who go back in their uninsured cars - will be used to send letters to the last registered address of the car owner, same way as they now can with VELs, prosecution to follow apparently if there is no response.

And I sem to recall that the original message is also word for word the same as TK's message - another wind-up probably.

[quote]Last night I was at the Caen ferry port terminal and had some time to spare so i took a walk around the car park. I was surprised to see so many english registered cars parked there and even more ala...[/quote]

And then went home and decided to join Living France

If you do a search , this subject has been flogged to death

Mrs O

Well, according to the advert running on UK TV at the moment, the DVLA only have to look in ONE place to find ANY untaxed car, and that's on their computer!

Of course, the reality is different as always, rather like those so-called TV detector vans, that can tell who's got a license from 3 streets away

About 3 months ago, I was shocked to notice that the car my wife regularly drives had a tax disc on it 4 months out of date. We never received either a reminder, or the advert-promised fine of £80. I'd missed it because I'd got it into my head that I'd taxed it for a year, as I usually do, but then remembered doing it for 6 months to shift the renewal date.

Anyway, I did the right thing, rang DVLA, (now there's an experience!!), and owned up.

I was told to tax it from the start of the present month, and to write to my local vehicle tax office explaining the problem, and enclosing a cheque for back duty, which I also did.

I got no fine, nor any explanation as to WHY no fine, and/or no reminder. Good system, eh?

Alcazar

[quote]Hello If the car is brit reg with froggy insurance then you don't have to put the sticker on the window as this is not a brit requirement. Also having a ct is a waste of time although in saying that ...[/quote]

That smiley gives you away, doesn't it?

Just in case people believe you (some may!) - wrong!

I think that you will find that the displaying of the sticker is as much a contractual one, as a legal one...

[quote]Mr korigan[/quote]

I thought the same - no Tyrone wisdom for a while + absent in the UK at last posting  on the forum - it all adds up.

BUT would even 'tyre valve destructur'  & scum basher' TK be so sad as to check all these cars having just got off the ferry?

Hi

I know one brit who had a brilliant idea he insured his car with a french company to be insured if the worst happened. He then made himself a green card with a brit ins co's name on it and the same add as on his brit driving license. Bingo if he gets stopped by the poolice just shows them his docs tells them he is a tourist and bingo off he goes.

..... or the guy that moves to France after years driving a company vehicle - so without any 'no claims bonus' to offset against his new car insurance. Has in his pocket an offer from Saga of a 50% discount for being aged over 50, and guess what? He gets his car on the road at half price!

... or the guy that moves to France after years driving a company vehicle - so without any 'no claims bonus' to offset against his new car insurance.

Oh but you can.  My husband had 15 years worth of driving a company car.  All he had to do was get a letter from the company, verifying that he had never had an accident whilst driving his company car and we got our full no claims here in France.

As for the original poster, it must be a wind up.  Just how early did he turn up for his ferry!  And whilst it makes my blood boil that so many people ignore the French rules, I also believe in "as you sow, so you reap".  I just hope he never steps out of line with anything, cos there's now going to be 26 Brits in France with a grudge against him

We have often turned up for ferries very early. We have just about a 1000 kms to do to get to the port and frankly one has to leave plenty of time for such a journey. Hence we prefer to get there in plenty of time than the things sailing off, sans us.

So yes, I would have plenty of time to have a wander round a port if I chose to do so. However we usually go and find somewhere near by that is rather nicer than a port and have a look round and a good walk.  

[quote]Hi I know one brit who had a brilliant idea he insured his car with a french company to be insured if the worst happened. He then made himself a green card with a brit ins co's name on it and the sam...[/quote]

I know one brit who had a brilliant idea he insured his car with a french company to be insured if the worst happened.

What was brilliant or clever about this?  The worst that could happen as that he killed someone and found that his French insurer told him he was not insured.  Few of these people are clever they are just tight fisted P**ks who are putting theirs and everyone else's lives in danger by driving unfit wrecks. 

The UK have the best idea on this now, not insured,?  Then out of the car and walk home while we crush your car

What some folk see as "right" others see as wrong. It's human nature in these sorts of cases. Personally, I'd NOT report people without tax, but then, nor would I help the police if they asked me to...........because I have been given good reason not to trust them

What gets me is the adverts for taxing your car:

"If it's not taxed, it's probably not insured.

If it's not insured, it's probably not MoT'd.

If it's not MoT'd, is it safe?

Keep unsafe cars off our  roads, dob in a tax cheat"

Some extremely tenuous links there, rather like the "speed kills" adverts, made to appeal to those who can't reason

Alcazar

Nothing is black and white.

We have lived in France for several years, neither of our cars have been re-registered, neither do they have British road tax. Both are insured in France, one has a controle technique. We often go back to Britain and have never been caught for road tax.

I don't consider myself a law breaker. If anybody wants to know how and why I think this, I'll be happy to answer them...