ive no road tax

Kingdingaling

and did he really mean drunk and no road tax, who knows! the rest of the spelling isn't up to much, even I noticed that being a lousy speller myself.

There is nothing so sure as, if I noticed and the owner started getting angry with me, I would report them to every last authority I could think of.

Scooby, congratulations on being so cunning. Are you still in France or did you manage to sell your house . Next time you decide to go to the UK with or without your car expect a pile of brown envelopes at whatever address you have registered your Banger, and if you decide to go through a port of entry , those nice people will be there to assist you.

why don`t you do a search through your own postings and take your own advise that was given to Outcast!

Mrs O

DOH!

Oh my head is banging, how much did I have last night.

No where near enough obviously.

What must you think of me, missing out the L in ife.

Yeah i moved house, still in france with a UK car and my very own left hand drive jobbie.

Im sorry but I just dont get why people have a problem with UK reg'd cars without tax in France.

I will at some point take my UK car back, when I do I will tax it.

Im sorry but I just dont get why people have a problem with UK reg'd cars without tax in France.

I think that might be something to do with the fact that according to the British government, it appears to be illegal. The French government doesn't seem too bovvered though, to quote Catherine Tait

[quote]Im sorry but I just dont get why people have a problem with UK reg'd cars without tax in France. I think that might be something to do with the fact that according to the British government, it appe...[/quote]

Will, yes the British Government say that these vehicles are illegal, but only if being driven in the UK.  As for the French authorities, they don't recognise the need for a tax disc in the window as it is not part of the French system. 

Seems to me that there is a bit of a loophole here.

Naps,

This link posted here recently by Brilec makes things rather clearer:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/assetRoot/04/01/90/50/04019050.pdf

Note the sentence "If your vehicle is temporarily taken out of the country but remains registered in GB, you must ensure that it remains licensed for the duration of your stay abroad". The document is also clear on the requirement to officially export a vehicle that is out of the country for more than 12 months. As I said, the French authorities don't seem particularly bothered (at least at present) but I think the British government is now rather more explicit on their requirements for UK-registered vehicles being driven abroad. With insurers making conditions about vehicles being legal, I think there are reasonable grounds for doubt about whether French (or British) insurance is valid for such vehicles.

Yes I'm in agreement that it's illegal, however the DVLA don't have the authority to fine a vehicle on foreign roads, they can only issue the fine to a UK address for a car which is untaxed and on British roads.  The issue over validity of insurance is possibly the best form of attack for the French police, but unfortunately, it is only after an accident that this would come in to play, by which time it's already too late.

I only know of the DVLA's stance because I e-mailled them and asked them directly - before anyone questions it - I was not 'shopping' anyone, just asking what would happen if they were to be given details of an un-taxed British car here in France.  So while the car is being driven around here, left at French ferry ports or airports, there's very little they can do.

All of which proves the futility of keeping going with the present tax disc. Abolish the damn thing and reduce the number of people required to administer it. A replacement? Yes, a tax when a vehicle is put on the road for the first time (like the French carte grise fee). This would vary with the engine size, pollution level, fuel consumption etc. Thus greedy cars (or those who want them) would have to fork out several thousand pounds to put a car on the road, whilst the smallest cars would attract significantly less, say the equivalent of the current license calculated over the average life of the car ( say 10 years). Much cheaper and easier to collect. And, as in France, cars could display an insurance disc and an MOT disc on the windscreen to show they conform.

Here we go again this is one of "them subjects" every body knows the answer to . Some people say the insurance is illegal if the car is on british plates but with no tax and driving on french insurance but our french insurance man nice straight talking guy no wasting words told me its a load of rubbish and as long as we were in the process of re-plating my mothers car "which we did" the insurance was valid so I think it is another one of arguments that the "british forum police" on here like to make stories up about. because they have nothing better to do