Most useful thing to have in France?

having been here 6 weeks now, there are so many things we thought we would need and didn't, and so many things we left behind - either on purpose as we ran out of room or by mistake.

With 20:20 hindsight, we would've left the fullsize fridge (that was a bit of a white elephant anyway).

Bringing the bolts to put the 4 poster bed together would've been tops (somehow the human body has a built-in altimeter, and sleeping on the same mattress on the floor/on slats on the floor is not the same)

We brought the TV too - which of course can only pick up french TV in B&W! However, being able to watch DVD's has kept us all sane at times.

The most useful thing so far has got to be the toolkits though - between the pair of us we have most DIY tools. Having said that though, all the tools available over here tend to be bigger, better and cheaper! - especially the garden tools.

My most treasured possesion has to be my Makita cordless drill and box of assorted bits for it - especially now we have electricity and can recharge it

Actually, in a rural world that has gone mad for 3 days for easter, the most useful things might be the chickens as at least we have eggs to eat!!

It isn't summer yet hoverfrog.

As far as I am concerned in summer we cannot have enough fridge space. I have two going and both are always full.

What with the beer, soft drinks, water, white wine and petillant chilling, all the salad stuff and the fruit too as it helps it last longer. I keep opened jams in my fridge too here as it does go mouldy quickly when it gets warm if I don't. And the vinaigrette and the mayonnaise, all the laiterie stuff and the milk. Plus ongoing veggies etc. And when people are coming round or preparing stuff to take to other people's do's, extra space is always required. Can't leave all those merguez and chops and brochettes out in the warm, they would soon go off. 

No I would recommend fridges and freezers. I would love another.

[quote]It isn't summer yet hoverfrog. As far as I am concerned in summer we cannot have enough fridge space. I have two going and both are always full. What with the beer, soft drinks, water, white wine ...[/quote]

I'm with you on this TU. It's going to sound like a one- upmanship in 'fridges, but I've got 3 always on- one the "normal" small UK size and 2 other very large ones- they are both usually full. The smaller of the 3 lives in the bar and isn't big enough to hold a decent choice of wines and beers etc. Another is always full of water and other drinks;the third lives in the kitchen with normal stuff in it.We don't strictly speaking need 3 when we're here in winter( altho for Christmas etc yes we do!) but in the summer we certainly do!

Good point. I seem to run out of fridge space quite quickly as well. For some inexplicable reason, the women seem to take my beer out of the (one) fridge in order to put food in. I have complained but the complaints have fallen on deaf ears, so I've been looking for one of those glass fronted beer fridges (they wouldn't dare put food in a beer fridge would they?). Have any of you good people seen them for sale in France or do I need to bring one from the UK?

Well I would dare, without batting an eyelid. I wouldn't care if my batavia or godiveau were on show to the whole world, (as long as they were being kept cool) I'm afraid, LOL I'm just that sort of gal really.

Yes you can get these fridges around here, no problem although a normal one might be cheaper.

Years ago TOH and I had a fight over the use of a fridge. For food! For beer! for FOOD!! for BEER!!!   We came to a compromise.  ... I got a top of the line American fridge in the kitchen  and he got a standard fridge in the garden shed.   I guess he thought that I was unlikely to store food at the end of the garden (he was... almost.... right. )

Coral - halfway to ariege

Question for Fritz

I know it was a while ago when you posted but......  Why a single axle trailer?  I am considering getting a trailer for all the reasons you state but locally there seem to be 2 axle trailers for sale quite reasonably priced and carry more than single axles. Just curious...

Pierre

Ooooh I'm not sure.  From memory I think it was about a tonne which would comfortably be a half cubic metre of aggregate or sand etc.  Had not considered the insurance aspect.  I was only thinking about if my car has enough oompf to tow it. So how much extra insurance should I expect to pay? and how much am I allowed to tow? (assuming commercial built trailer, dealer fitted towbar).  Maybe I'll just get the builders merchant to deliver..........

[quote]I think that the trailor allowance is marked on the green card. Over a certain size and it could need registering as a separate vehicule? Something to consider.[/quote]

I was considering getting a trailer but have decided against it as Speed Ferries do not take trailers and the fares are so so cheap it would be a crime not to use them!

Everything we threw out/sold in the UK when we moved out of our house, we now heartily wish we had brought with us. Top of the list being my whirly-gig (rotary) clothes line!!! Just can't get on with the neighbours seeing my smalls (or larges - as Mr M calls them) flapping in the breeze in a long line. I used to be able to hide them behind the duvet covers!!!!

Definitely a trailor (double axle and four wheels if you can).  Plenty of patience but the guts to stand up to the fonctionnaires when YOU KNOW they are wrong! Air conditioning in the car and in the bedroom (dept 24).  A good stock of Cadbury's chocolate when things haven't gone your way.  A supply of candles for the inevitable power cuts and finally a few stocks of fizz if the chocolate doesn't work.  Oh yes, I forgot to mention the most important: a husband/partner who is brilliant at DIY for the 99% of the time that you can't even get a devis from the local artisans let alone have the work done.

Mops

[quote]Definitely a trailor (double axle and four wheels if you can). Plenty of patience but the guts to stand up to the fonctionnaires when YOU KNOW they are wrong! Air conditioning in the car and in the b...[/quote]

Hi! It is not just in France you cannot get tradesmen! We have planning permission to alterate our English house and getting quotes is a joke! Yes, the tradesmen/builders come to see the job and then they either quote sky high, ridiculous prices or they disappear off the face of the earth with copies of your plans! I think him indoors is now considering a DIY job!

Good to hear that it's difficult getting trades people in Britain too.  Someone posted regarding the cost of a double axle trailor with four wheels, they are around €1000 plus you may have to add on the cost of a spare wheel, ladder rack if required etc. depending on where you buy it from.  We chose an Iveo and it  has been worth its weight in gold (or sand, gravel and so on).  We originally bought it to carry the largest of the non agricultural type John Deere tractors when we moved house four years ago, and it has been well used since and has made several trips back to England (stocks of Cadbury's chocolate!).  To pick up on another thread someone asked the cost of trailors on the ferry and P&O are offering good deals on trailors at the moment (€35 return) on all crossings, that's starting from France but I believe the same deal is on the other way round.

Mops

[quote]Question for Fritz I know it was a while ago when you posted but...... Why a single axle trailer? I am considering getting a trailer for all the reasons you state but locally there seem to be 2 axl...[/quote]

I think you'll need a fairly heavy 4x4 to pull a two axle trailer. I'd imagine they're a bit more difficult to look after - brakes, I suppose, and possibly need a bit more skill when you're parking outside Mr Bricolage. But the more important issue is that I believe you have to get them insured separately and of course you can't do that unless it 'conforms' to French standards. So more cost, more hassle.