Val_2

[quote user="mark24"]

I speed When I feel its right to and have done for some 23 years

And almost all the time I go out on the bike I exceed 221kmh

But that is my choice to brake the law and  I enjoy it

But I am one of THEM that decide for them self’s that its ok to

And have never had any points on my license

(just my 2 centimes worth)  [/quote]

And your "2 centimes worth" is most probably all you consider a life to be worth. Come to think of it, the most probable reason why you have no points on your licence is because you don't have one!

While you're demonstrating your obvious superiour knowledge of illegal high speed driving, spare a thought for the elderley motorist in her 2cv who pulls out from a side road into your path. You plough straight into the side of the vehicle, and most likely fatally injure the driver and anyone else in the vehicle. You of course will die - but then you won't give a damn how many others you take out with you!

Or how about your 221kmh and a deer jumps out in front of you - but of course, you are one of THEM, and I bet you can walk on water as well! Please inform me where you obtained your skills, and over what period?

A close colleague of mine, riding a high powered machine within the requirements of the law, received fatal injuries after collided with an earth moving truck. He was a traffic police officer, and police driving instructor on motorbikes as well as cars, and qualified to a degree far higher than what you are ever likely to achieve.

Your type are a cancer on society with little disregard for the law, or for the safety of other road users.  One day, your cocky arrogance will be your downfall, and the sooner the better![:@][:@]

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't agree more.

A couple of years ago there was an accident near where I work. A motorcyclist was travelling down Putney Hill at over 100mph (unbelieveable, but true) at about 6am. He came over the brow of a slight hill (near the Green Man for those of you who know it) and hit a car making a left turn onto the hill broadside. The car was banana-ed and written off (it was a Merc). Most of the bike went over the car, and most of the motorcyclist went with it. He (or most of him) travelled about 100m along Tibbet's Ride before hitting the ground. His helmet didn't do him a lot of good. The police reckon that at the speed he was travelling he may never have seen the car, never knew what killed him. Certainly the car driver would never have seen him. The driver was seriously injured, and was lucky not to be killed himself. It happens too often.

A fatal lack of imagination?

The arguments used here to justify breaking the law and acting so stupidly sound like those used by smokers who say that they've been smoking for 30 years and it never did them any harm - until they get the scare when they can't breath properly or they develop emphasaema (sp?).

But it's ok for the speeders, because there will be other people to look after them when they're injured, take them around in their wheelchairs, wipe their bums for them when they can't do it themselves, as others have said, they won't be around when the police come knocking to tell their wives/OH/children they wont be coming home after their 'little spin' along the bye-pass.

If they get disqualified for speeding when they don't accept the right of the inferior beings who create or impose the laws that have banned them to create/impose those laws, will they continue to drive because they shouldn't have been banned because they know best?

And as for coming on a public forum and bragging about how they break the law, like others who ask how to avoid paying cotisations, tax, etc, how moronic is that?  If they're that stupid, they shouldn't have a driving licence anyway.

morning

for what it's worth, i post as someone who has been in the motor trade a long time, and had the opportunity to drive a huge range of cars to their limits, on the track and private airfields, as well as having been to the old nigel mansell racing school at brands hatch.

it is amazing how long it takes a car to stop at 50 mph !  it was demonstrated to me by putting a dummy in the road, driving towards it at 50 mph and being told to brake as late as we could  but stopping before a collision. the majority of people hit the dummy, and all were people who are used to car performance.we could also see the dummy, it didn't jump out ! it was even more scary when we did it in the wet, even though the car had abs etc.

after working for a manufacturer for several years, and being involved in the technology being put into cars, abs, esp, asr, etc etc etc, my opinion, and only my opinion, is that cars lull people into a false sense of security. drivers feel that their big expensive car has all the safety features built in to protect them. in many ways it has, but it will only protect them and no-one else.

manufacturers can design cars to cope with most things, but they cannot legislate for the operation of one major component.

for me, having been able to see what happens while driving at my limit, and the cars limit, i am now quite happy to drive within, and well within those same limits, still wouldn't want to meet that missile coming towards me though, because he wouldn't be riding it at that speed, just pointing  it.

arthur

ps. i used to ride a bike, fell off several times, never at more than 50 mph 'ish, hurt every time, suppose you wouldn't feel it at 221 kph though !

sorry to ramble, but if you feel the need for speed, there are loads of track days.

You were not rambling, Arthur - you were making very sensible, valid points.  Thank you for your comments as a person involved in the motor business.  I've noticed, many times, that people who really understand the car, as a machine & not as an extension of their ego - are the ones who respect them & don't delude themselves about their driving abilities.

p.s. good call about giving up on the bikes!! [:D]

morning

alot of the time, it's not what you do when you're driving, it's the actions of other people, example, 1986'ish, travelling north on the m6 in cumbria, about 10.30 pm, dark, overtaking in middle lane, approx 80 mph, road very quiet. safe ? you'd think so

car comes towards me, heading south, travelling in the outside lane of the northbound carriageway. safe ? later turns out the guy had been drinking.

it's surprising that the 221 kph poster has been doing this for 23 years, he must have had his thrill many hundreds, maybe thousands of times, but, he just has to get it wrong once, or, more worryingly from his point of view, someone else just has toget it wrong once...

arthur

I love this site

It has given me and so many others so much useful information at the click of o button .

And many a time a good old laugh .

But this site is just as so many other good web forms there is always an element of poster

Who hide behind there key boards making out that they are so prim and proper, law abiding  and have never broke the law .

When in reality MOST of you HAVE and WILL do at some point in your life .

My choice to speed is no different than your choice to judge me for speeding and judge me personally .

I am as quick to speed as you are to judge me.

I just have a wooden spoon and like to use it to see what comes out of the wood work.

My wife enjoys traveling with me and has done for thousands of miles.

I am a member of I.A.M .

As for going to track days ,I spent 12 years racing at national / international  level

And travel  30000 miles a year on two wheels and at least that in the car.

I am dyslectic

And I live in dept 24

I also hear the words “sorry mate I didn’t see you “ more times in towns than I can count and that has nothing to do with speed.

[quote user="mark24"]I also hear the words “sorry mate I didn’t see you “ more times in towns than I can count and that has nothing to do with speed.

[/quote]

For the benefit of those members who don't recognise this expression, it is the common response from a motorist pulling out of a side road or making a turn right across the path of an approaching motorcyclist. 

The 2005 Road Safety Research Report entitled "Review of the 'Looked but Failed To See Accident' Causation Factor" commissioned by the Department of Transport and compiled from police accident reports, concludes that "The main contributory factor subsidiary to LBFTS which was of a behavioural nature was ‘excess speed’". The conclusion goes on to say "Clearly, fast driving will limit the time available for drivers to scan the road and traffic scene effectively".

The accepted approach for motorcyclists to avoid such a potential collision situation is through observation and correct positioning combined with a reduction in speed to allow greater time for reaction.  This basic methodology is taught in all forms of rider training, from beginner's compulsory basic training right through to Police Class 1 pursuit training.  Failure to adjust one's speed in circumstances of higher risk would constitute a fail in both the DSA driving test and the IAM test.

But this site is just as so many other good web forms there is always an element of poster

Who hide behind there key boards making out that they are so prim and proper, law abiding  and have never broke the law .

When in reality MOST of you HAVE and WILL do at some point in your life .

That may be true, some of us have the good sense not to boast about, or try to justify our crimes.

According to the AIM web site, if you hit a pedestrian at 40mph, 90% of them die, at 30 mph - 20%, at 20mph - 5%

That alone proves the point.

BTW Alcazar - I first heard my little 'mantra' Better to arrive late than dead on time in 1971. The first speed cameras, according to AIM, were not introduced until 1992, so I fail to see the link.

I'm probably reading this all wrong but I get the feeling that some posters think that motorcycle owners are all speed freaks.  My OH spent three weeks in April touring France and Spain on his 1150 tourer.  Was I worried ?  Yes !! - but not about his driving skills or that he might be speeding.  I just worried about other road users who might put him in danger and one of his greatest worries is always of car drivers 'Not seeing him' when they fail to slow down at junctions or on entering a roundabout. For me speeding in a built up area is a no-no. Excessive speed on a motorway is too, although hand on my heart I have gone over the limit on a clear motorway in the past.  I'm older and wiser now.  I've earned my living more than once by driving over the years and having seen some of the most stupid things done by drivers on the roads my mantra is now 'Always expect the unexpected'.  I can't cover that one if I'm speeding and have no time to see what's unfolding !!

Well there you go, we are all totally wrong this guys a member of the IAM and has obviously taken a test with them, is a ex bike racer so obviously speed limits no longer apply for him as he is a far superior driver to the rest of us lot. We should be humbled to even be on the same forum as him. We should all now kneel and pay homage whilst whipping ourselves with any suitable item that comes to hand.

Up to 4 years back I drove a Bowler (that’s a special 4X4 race car) all round the world racing in deserts and a like taking part in 4X4 safaris. It's the sort of thing that’s road legal but can go anywhere and quite frankly would leave your road bike standing (0 to 60 in around 3.2 seconds). I had a MSA Competition licence (National A) and a FIA International B licence (I lost them both due to ill health). Does this automatically make me a safe road user, no it does not. In fact in the normal world it means nothing because the skills involved in racing a car or bike are totally different to those used in day to day driving (you don’t have to worry about people pulling out in their Morris Minor without looking in a desert or on a race track or kids playing around). I personally think that if you held an IAM licence and they knew what you were doing they would take it away instantly.

To be honest the more I think about it you’re really just trying to wind us all up which I have to admire because it would seem you have ‘had’ us all.

I wish I could post the picture out of todays Independant , It shows a car on a D road 2pm on saturaday afternoon, no rain. the car looks as though it has come out of the crusher........and put down to speeeeeeeed. The motorist is only seriously wounded, good job our resident speed freak on a bike wasn`t coming the other way!    Or on a more serious note, that our daughers doctors appointment was unfortunately rescheduled for yesterday afternoon.........I was going to a horse show down that very road, Lucky I suppose that no other families were involved!.

I did say I wasn't joining in this....but....., imagine 221kph biker meets 221kph Aston driver head on, closing speed of 275 MPH, thats considerably higher than the landing speed of an aircraft and they make a serious mess on the ground when it all goes wrong,.....just a strange thought of mine.!!!

Here's an extract from a website where drivers can proudly post details of their speeding offences:

Speed Limit:  90kph     Speed:  170kph     Location:  N138    Detection:    Laser

I was heading down to Le Mans with a friend in his Ferrari 360 Spider. He had been stopped a few miles back, relieved of his licence, and fined 750 euros. He handed the keys to me to drive. I lasted about 20 miles or so before being pulled over too. So there we were on the side of the road £1000 poorer and no one to drive the car! The gendarmes were taking pictures of the car with their mobile phones.

Fine:  750 euros     Ban:  3 months

They never learn.....[:D]

[quote user="Nelson"]
My car is designed to brake safely from about 150kph, not 200kph. My tyres are rated 150kph, not 200.

Hi Dick
I don`t know what you are saying here
Your car must be designed to brake safely from its maximum speed, your tyres must be rated at above your maximum speed.
I`m not saying that you should drive at 200 kph but if you have a car that is capable of that speed  then everything  on that car must be capable of more than that speed (except the driver)

regards colin

[/quote]

Sorry Colin but that is just not true, and the only reason I am getting involved in this is in case someone else believes you.

Tyres have different speed ratings and they may not always be rated at the vehicles maximum speed - as you would know if you had ever had to fit winter tyres, some of which are rated as low as 130k.  OK that's theoretical top speed in France but not on the Autobahn it's not.

Not forgetting those tyres/wheels that are for your spare, do they have 50kph tatooed on them. The number of cars I have seen on the Motorway using one of these is frightening. Personally I do not kow the difference in them, but do believe that they have these rating for a reason!

What a joy to have found a forum populated by perfect people, after frequenting many on the web visited by lesser beings. It is, after all entirely rational to expect someone to have to pay a fine of over £100k (including the loss of the car) for speeding on a quiet motorway, and not at all motivated by jealousy. It is also very generous to wish death upon those who speed, not to mention entirely rational to use the sanctity of human life to justify this sentence.

I'm sure all the people with such vitriolic anti-speeding views have no points on their license, have never been involved in an accident through their dedication to utterly safe driving, and and have never, ever exceeded the speed limit. Furthermore, since all untimely death is an equal tragedy, I'm sure they don't smoke or drink, and that they eat healthily and exercise a lot. After all, scrores of thousands of people die each year in France and the UK through avoidable diseases, often after scares and specific medical advice given to them personally, so I'm confident their dedication to safety in all it's guises has made them model citizens, rather than just focusing on knee-jerk reactions to particular issues that they happen to feel strongly about.

To answer that specific issue, UK law demands that all cars on sale have tyres with speed ratings in excess of the maximum speed. If you import a car of a type not sold in the UK, or build a kit car, the "SVA" test you need to pass also demands it.

Tyre fitters must also recommend a suitable tyre, though I'm not sure of the legality of fitting one that is not suitable, winter tyres aside, should someone be stupid enough to do this.

I've often heard people that are not into cars or driving, of the "I'm totally safe because I never speed" variety (who actually cause plenty of accidents through poor observation and skills/knowledge) boast about how incredibly cheap their remould/budget tyres are. Which in my opinion is far worse than driving quickly, attentively, on a quiet road with suitable equipment.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I thought this one had already been done to death?  If you'll pardon the expression?

I notice you just registered today and both your posts to date are on this topic, Alf.  And attacking the forum members for their views on this topic.  How odd.  Sockpuppet comes to mind.