French Driving Licence.

brucampbell

A friend of mine, aged 82 is returning the UK permanently. He has a French driving licence and is wondering how long he would be allowed to drive over there, without changing this licence? As it is a EU document, can it be taken for granted that it is still current for many years?

No it cannot.

I see SD has beaten me to the DVLA link which implies that he can drive for 3 years before having to apply for a UK licence however is there not something on the French licence saying something to the effect that it is not valid in UK after age 70. Also, depending on the groups, it is necessary to undertake an annual medical to keep the French licence valid is it not ?

Furthermore, and this is probably as definitive as it gets, according to THIS EU document there is an obligation to make a health declaration in which case he might just as well revert to a UK licence and be done with it. Finally most UK insurance companies will demand a UK licence.

Frankly you can read what you like into the rules but ask yourself this, how much confidence do you have in UK plod comprehending the nuances of an 83 year old UK resident driving on a French licence. I know my answer !

[quote user="ErnieY"]No it cannot.

I see SD has beaten me to the DVLA link which implies that he can drive for 3 years before having to apply for a UK licence however is there not something on the French licence saying something to the effect that it is not valid in UK after age 70.   - 

No.

Also, depending on the groups, it is necessary to undertake an annual medical to keep the French licence valid is it not ? -

Groups other than A & B

Furthermore, and this is probably as definitive as it gets, according to THIS EU document there is an obligation to make a health declaration in which case he might just as well revert to a UK licence and be done with it.  - 

The document quoted would require to be tested.  Where and how would the holder of  French Driving Licence make a declaration of health during the period permitted as quoted by SD?  I would suggest that the need for a declaration arises when the French licence is eventually exchanged for an UK one.  

Finally most UK insurance companies will demand a UK licence.

I would be interested in your authority for that statement

Frankly you can read what you like into the rules but ask yourself this, how much confidence do you have in UK plod comprehending the nuances of an 83 year old UK resident driving on a French licence. I know my answer !

Oh ye of little faith![:)]

[/quote]

[quote user="Patf"]I read something today in the french press ( a

comment in a letter in the Depeche ) that France may be introducing

medical checks for drivers over the age of 70.

Has anyone else seen this?[/quote]

I have read something about this, but have no specific details...

Something about the driving licence being subject to a medical

examination throughout the EU, as it is for many EU countries already,

but as far as I remember, this is a vague proposal.

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Patf"]I read something today in the french press ( a

comment in a letter in the Depeche ) that France may be introducing

medical checks for drivers over the age of 70.

Has anyone else seen this?[/quote]

I have read something about this, but have no specific details...

Something about the driving licence being subject to a medical

examination throughout the EU, as it is for many EU countries already,

but as far as I remember, this is a vague proposal.

[/quote]

There is some information here:

http://www.senat.fr/ue/pac/E2472.html

Raised before the Senate but opposed.  There has probably also been other discussion.

[quote user="nomoss"][quote user="Patf"]

I read something today in the french press ( a comment in a letter in the Depeche ) that France may be introducing medical checks for drivers over the age of 70.

[/quote]

Damn good idea, I think.

[/quote]Here, here.  Driving tests too, imo.[Www]

Its a wonder how attitudes change as time goes by. I remember joining the CND when I was sixteen and a lot of other not to be mentioned youthful daliences. Now in my 60's I find myself applauding the fact that in France there are no health checks at 70 for car drivers.

I dont see too many posters in their 70's advocating medicals.

BobD