English resident killed on the road last night

NormanH

Thanks all.

The worst was this morning, trying to track down her partner who had just flown to the UK - and to break the news, which in the end, I did not have to do - another friend got there first.

The shock of it all, the more so because she was such a good and safe driver, and the car also, one they got because of its safety record.  Their dog was in the car too, and was saved - now recovering at the vet, although the vet refused to take the dog in until he had evidence that he would get paid for his trouble.

It really brings home how flimsy life is....

There but for the grace of whomever...

This morning I was going to post that I hoped it was not anybody we knew but then it seemed rather crass, especially given that a French person was also killed.  So sorry to hear it was a friend, N.  You are right, it does remind you how little it takes.  Take care of yourself, too, it can be pretty tough for those left behind to cope.[:)][kiss]

Thank you Debs - you who know about car crashes rather more than anybody would ever wish....

(by the way, the Frenchman was killed in a different crash, it's just the newspaper not making it too clear that they were two separate accidents So far, nobody quite knows what happened to my friend's car as nobody else seemed to be involved, and no witnesses).

The dog is still at the vet, in shock,  and will need surgery for her fractured pelvis in a few days.

Our friends had a whole big network of good people who will now rally around to help out, and who know they are likely to be needed for months to come. I was not quite close enough to be one of those left behind, but I am still shocked and terribly sad.

Hang on in there 5E, it's painful but it does get better, been there and done that.

Interestingly we fly back to the UK on Tuesday to give evidence at an Inquest on the 4 Brit people who were killed in an RTA in our commune on 7 June 2006.  Not looking forward to it at all but at least after that and the court case, slated for November, we can finally move on with our lives. 

Forgive me, 5-e, I have only just come on the Forum on account of having wall-to-wall visitors.  May I add my commiseration to others already posted.

Once the visitors leave us, I shall send you a PM or email.

In the meantime, look after yourself.

I believe that the reason  for the crash, a collision between two cars at a junction, has been given as the slippery road. The conditions were atrocious with torrential rain and wind which probably brought down a lot of leaves.

The roads in our region get so little rain that they become very difficult in such conditions. It could happen to any of us.

Having spent quite a long time at the gendarmerie today with the friend  who was PACSed with the killed driver, it has been confirmed that the atrocious conditions were responsible for the Volvo to swerve out of control across the road. That part of the road was extremely slippery, and a known death trap for a few kms  (the gendarme said that in 4 years, there had been 9 deaths on that stretch alone!). Although it was confirmed my friend had not been driving fast,  her car swerved across the road and she was hit sideways, with the point of impact being exactly level with the driver's seat,  by an oncoming car.... The other driver, an elderly priest, sustained several broken ribs from his seat belt.

There was absolutely no doubt that the cause of the crash was straight forward. Just being in the wrong place at the wrong time!

The procureur has given a "permis d'inhumer" as there is no need for further enquiry, so the body can be released.

Thank you to everyone - and remember, be careful out there!

By the way, we found the gendarmes extremely sympathetic, personable and sensitive. This has gone some way towards restoring my faith in the law...