Migrating from Australia- eligible for pole emploi?

Gen-eva

My husband (dual citizen Australia/French) and I, his Australian wife, wish to move to France. He speaks fluent french (not writing though) and I am currently learning French. We realise we will not get decent paying jobs in France. So we will eventually probably buy a business. In the meantime, we wish to get some work, which by now I can assume will be temporary. Herein my question lies.

His relatives advise that we would be eligible for pole emploi assistance (for up to a max of 3 years), but we should we find some casual work first. In speaking to several people in a recent trip, this seems fairly easy to find temporary work in restauration or something or other. So assuming we find some temporary work of one sort or another, what happens at the end of the temp work? I've been told we would each be eligible for pole emploi, and this would be around 1000 euros a month each.  We have been told our situation is not much different to the thousands of other immigrants in france, as france as some pretty high unemployment amongst its various ethnic groups. Yet, I do not see them starving or stealing, for living in France is far better than their desert homelands.

I have been told this information by several people, yet when I went to the local pole emploi office, they were not willing to talk to us, as we were not yet resident in France. To me it seems good planning to know -- exactly where you stand. I don't want to turn round and come back to Australia. Work is incredibly difficult to find in Australia. Self employment in small food industries is pretty much non existent in Australia - unlike France. He will be 50 and I will be 44 by the time we arrive in France, and we have no children. We have both been in Australia since we were children. And we don't like it.

I'm going to assume this post is not a wind-up... [8-)]

I'll try to ignore the obnoxious reference to "desert homelands"...

As an Australian citizen, you first need to find out about visas and working permits.

You say your husband holds dual nationality, so he should not have any problem on that side of things.

Broadly speaking, you can only receive unemployment allocation (called ARE) if you have paid contributions.

If you do find casual employment, you would be required to contribute for a minimum period of time before you can claim unemployment benefit (details HERE - translation).

At the age of 50 even with dual nationality, finding even temporary work could be very difficult ( and for you a lot lot harder) and depending on how long he works and on what rate of pay ( probably the SMIC) that will determine how long he can claim Allocation d'Aide au Retour à l'Emploi for and what rate. But I think you can put any thoughts of getting 3 years and 1000 euros a month out of your head. What business line if he in ?

Work may be hard to find in your "desert homeland" but probably a lot easier than here.

Claire posted as I was writing:)

crumbs, if you think work is hard to find in Oz, wait until you get here!

You will not get any state help unless you have paid into the 'system' not even health care. This means unless you have a job before you arrive, you will have to purchase a private and very expensive health plan. You might find washing up/waiter work in Paris or other big cities, but in the sticks, anything is hard to come by. As for starving or steeling, you dont watch French news progs!

If you do find self employment - dont forget that 50% or there abouts of any profit goes to keep Sarco and his chums happy.

Steve who will sell a very sucseefull gardening co in about 10 years!

Can only assume that the people the OP has been talking to, who have painted this rosy picture of a state that generously hands out money to all comers just for the asking, have comfortable jobs as fonctionnaires or similar and are not in the position of being recently arrived in France and trying to get a foot on the jobs ladder ...

Why does the OP think the Sangatte residents were so keen to hop across the Channel, if the handouts are so good in France?

Self-employment in small food industries ??? is there a lot of that in France ?

I met them in Britain.

I've met them in France.

Glad to see they're in Oz too.

So nice to learn that it's only those native to the country they were born in who get all the c**p in life whilst the immigrants live the high life on welfare isn't it?  Move countries - life's bound to be better then.

I am intrigued, is this a wind up! With Australia having avoided going into recession, an unemployment rate half that of France, why do you think it would be easier finding work in France? According to what I read, Australia is booming thanks to it's mineral wealth resources, whereas Europe is in economic intensive care by comparison.  

I think if you returned to France after a year your attitude to Australia would change fundamentally.

The youngsters with qualifications can't get work here in France, so what makes the OP think they will? - far too old in many cases I am afraid and with no french qualifications to boot either. Forget it, you are better off in Australia and they are supposed to be crying out for skilled workers if we believe "Wanted Down Under" type programmes.

Just read the OP post again - €1000/month EACH??? .What planet are your relatives on?? The RSA for those who can't find or do work is only €414/month and they are people who have paid into the system for years as well.

[quote user="Val_2"]Just read the OP post again - €1000/month EACH??? .What planet are your relatives on?? The RSA for those who can't find or do work is only €414/month and they are people who have paid into the system for years as well.[/quote]

I think that cadres get quite a lot of unemployment benefit  for a little while.

Does that cover it? A four year wait? Then treat as an expatriot.

Vous étiez parti sans vous être ouvert en France des droits aux allocations chômage.

Lors de votre retour en France :

- si vous avez retrouvé un travail dans le pays d'accueil, vos droits sont ceux d’un expatrié ;

- si vous n'en avez pas retrouvé, les droits aux allocations chômage au titre de l’emploi exercé en France sont préservés pendant 4 ans.

Dans ce dernier cas, votre retour et votre inscription comme demandeur d’emploi en France doivent impérativement intervenir dans les 4 ans suivant la fin de vos fonctions exercées en France

[quote user="Gen-eva"]We have both been in Australia since we were children. And we don't like it.[/quote]

We sympathise! We were there for 5.75 years and [well, I was going to say "hated" it, but shall we just say disliked living there intensely]. We then transferred to Belgium and immersed ourselves in culture which had been so previously lacking. We are now blissfully happy living in the Haute Savoie of France, so if we can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us, either through the forum of via a private email. Oh, and good luck integrating here!

""Can always remember an Irishman who came to the UK because he was told the streets were paved with gold. He soon found out that they are paved with grey slabs"""

So he nicked the slabs and tarmaced them over. See him on Watchdog LOL