do not forget your neighbours!

opas

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"]

Oh sorry Opas, you was talking to Dick not me.  And I thought you was shouting at me and Dick was sticking up for me.

DOH wrong again.

[/quote]

No I was talking to you![:@]

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"]OMG You have got me laughing again now!  Why did you get so cross?  I think Del Boy is quite sweet in his own little way.  Anyway back to the neighbours perhaps all that drilling has given you headache.  I quite understand too.[/quote]

You remind me of this neighbour, he laughs in your face too!

Please, no one be offended by this post, but I have to say something. Why is it that a certain few members take over a perfectly reasonable thread and hijack it, turning into their own?

It happens often and does get annoying especially when the thread starts off as informative , and then you get the stupid little comments made, and thats it the informative post gone, and all that remains are the stupid little comments.

It is annoying, and I am sure that is why admin decided to put in a seperate area, namely the lounge for people who want to say things that are off topic.

Emma

Steves other half.

I do believe there are regulations about hours and working with noisy equipment – but I’d check on what types of work and equipment they cover.  I have only ever been told about them in relation to using power tools outside (e.g. lawn movers, strimmers, chainsaws, etc.).  I also believe there are different regulations/hours for professionals and individuals.

I have on occasions used petrol driven lawnmower/strimmer outside the permitted hours (though I live some distance from the nearest neighbour).  Once a passing cyclist did point at his watch as he passed.  I practice I try not to break the hours and it tends to happen more in spring (e.g. when the grass really needs cutting but rain repeatedly stops me doing it during permitted hours).  I tend to think consideration is more important that the rules.  A local professional tree surgeon lots me it was pretty OK to do such work Sunday morning and that nobody would say anything – but I guess that’s a local thing and I would also expect it to depend on how long the same noise had been going on over the preceding week.

Maybe suggest to the nuisance neighbours that rules exist but it is only necessary to enforce them when a total disregard to neighbours is happening – i.e. beyond reasonable.  They would actually find the hours permitted (assuming they apply to their work) very restrictive (I often find it a real nuisance having to wait until 14:00 before starting to cut the grass).

Ian

We had about an hour with le Maire this morning.  It just shows how different departments and villages have different rules. Apparently l'heures D'arrette are between 10pm and 06.30 am in our village. But he was very interested in when they started this work(which month) as their planning permission has only just gone up on the board!.......we did not know that.

He is going to pay them a visit and ask them to respect their neighbours , about sluicing dirty cement water down the street , oh and to inform him that if he threatens us with a gun again he will be in deep trouble.

I have come away with a horrible feeling, and would prefere to have approached them direct (I also said as much to le Maire) but feel that this would have been met with another outburst.)

We also had a chat about the difference between the attitude of the French and that of the Catalans (the Maire is the latter) he said the French like to use lots of swearwords and the Catalans just sit back and watch!    Le Foot also came into conversation!

We will wait and see, I do not particularly wish to be friends with this couple, but do not like an atmosphere!

Opas - Well it sounds like your meeting with the Mayor went pretty well.  Amazing that the noise hours end at 6:30 am ..  That seems pretty early to start up the chain saw (or whatever).  I honestly don't know what the hours are around here.  I try not to start strimming until 9 am, though this morning I had a small bit that really had to be done.  I started at 8 am and was finished by 8:30.

Did they actually threaten you??  and with a gun????  That is incredible.  I am eternally grateful that my only real neighbors are like family to me.  I adore them.  If we did not get along, I'm not sure I could live here.

I'm sure the Mayor will be cordial when he visits them.  Maybe, with any luck, these folks will realize the effect their noise is having on their neighbors.  Perhaps they will make some effort to be friendly once they realize how much they have annoyed people.  Who knows.  I suppose it can go one way or the other.  Hopefully, the Mayor will not mention any names when he makes his visit.

Best of luck.

Just want to wish you luck, Opas & hope everthing works out. 

I am like yourself & hate to live with a bad atmosphere, especially with close neighbours.  Whan we first bought our house in 'Ards we didn't get on with our new neighbours (their kids & our cats!!) - but now I think I will miss them, more than anyone else, when we move.  Things got sorted out very quickly & they are really good & helpful friends, now.  I really hope the same happens for you.  [:D]