Wet room - shower plumbing

normandie

Hello all

Quick question:

Has anyone found the necessary shower rose and taps (with temperature setting) for a wet room so that the plumbing and connecting pipes are completely hidden?

If so, where?!  Over the internet?

Had a look in a few places but in each case the piping would show which is not the look I need!

Many thanks in advance ...

Normandie (50)

If you mean this:

[img]http://www.decofinder.com/img/112/112708.jpg[/img]

or this

[img]http://www.masalledebain.com/images/img_admin/objet/grand/767.jpg[/img]

sort of thing, then try searching on the Internet for "mitigeur douche encastré".

Hope one of these helps.

If you have a Lapeyre anywhere near you pick up their Salle de Bains catalogue and there is some very useful information and diagrams in the back about constuction and plumbing for wet room showers.

Personally I can't get my head round the concept of a wet room. Aren't they rather damp and steamy if you use them immediately after someone else - more so than a room with a shower cubicle in?

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

[quote user="Cassis"]Gordon Bennett - what's wrong with the Leroy Merlin site?  It's PAINFULLY slow!

[/quote]

If you check Gordon Bennett out you will find he was obliged to exile himself from polite American society for something the French view as normal

[/quote]

What ? Flying aeroplanes though barns ??

p

[quote user="Rob Roy"]

Aren't they rather damp and steamy if you use them immediately after someone else - more so than a room with a shower cubicle in?

[/quote]

Depends on the ventilation system you have / install. I would say no, no more so than a shower cubicle. I would say they are less "cosy" than a shower cubicle but I prefer the sense of space. Design of room needs careful consideration as ideally, the wet area of the room needs to be away from the dry area - the loo area for eg. So that if the loo is used regularly other than at shower time, loo / handbasin access shouldn't be across the wet area.

To answer Normandie's original question, I've seen the fittings you want at Aubade Avranches, BAO Avranches, BrossetteVire and Carrelages Ornais which is off the Caen peripherique.

Is there anybody who has installed a wet room ? and do you think it was a better idea than a shower cubicle re condensation etc ? are you glad you have one or wish you had never done it ?.

I have a narrow  6 foot wide room like a changeing room  Its off  and the depth of  a bedroom that I need to  put a loo  a basin and shower in ...(The house is all on one level...bungalow type " Maison Vendeen " ).... I can see the advantage of a wetroom  down the far end as  people with mobility problems ( could  be me one day ) would find it easier not having to get in and out of a cubicle .slide doors etc . I have thought an extractor ducted to a shower cubicle the best way of dealing with damp . no window ...yet  ?.    but now  dont know ...They seem to be the way to go these days wet rooms  but I just have no experience of one ...never see one other than on TV and  they seem to chuck a lot of water about . from more than one jet in some of them .  

[quote user="Frederick"]

...never see one other than on TV and  they seem to chuck a lot of water about . from more than one jet in some of them .  

[/quote]

I suppose to be precise, a wet room is just a tanked or otherwise prepared room which will infallibly contain and drain all water that is sloshed around it - no leaks. Size - small where everything in the room gets soaked whenever the shower is used, including the loo and basin if installed / or larger where the shower area is one part of a bigger bathroom part of which probably stays completely dry - is up to user preference and space available. Same with the fittings - yes, on tv and in home magazines, the trend tends to be for large, circular, ceiling mounted "roses" or wall jets and for tiled floors with a drain underfoot but there's nothing to stop you preparing the room, tiling it (or whatever... rubber floors and / or walls anyone ??) and then putting a conventional, detachable showerhead against a wall at one end so that the water is directed across the room, not along the length of it thus leaving the loo and basin area at the "entrance end" comparitively dry. For me, the appeal of a wet (and dry) room is the sense of space with no need for enclosures or those abominations: shower curtains.[:P] It's not mandatory to drench the entire room...

Efficient ventilation is obviously very important otherwise you may not get any damp outside the room but you'll quickly get mildewy grouting and ceilings inside where the moisure hangs, unable to get out.

Thanks for all your help ...

It's easy to find what I need on English websites but not so easy on French ...

Finally, I've found an example of what I need but at 944.84 e it's not my kind of price range!

http://www.espace-aubade.fr/R-39-59-3-robinet-pour-douche-mitigeur-thermostatique.html

(Sorry - not sure how to import the pretty picture).

I tried BAO when I was in France but couldn't see any taps 'encastre' at all.

If anyone knows/comes across the same thing but a cheaper brand please let me know ...

Many thanks

Normandie

[quote user="normandie"]

Thanks for all your help ...

It's easy to find what I need on English websites but not so easy on French ...

Finally, I've found an example of what I need but at 944.84 e it's not my kind of price range!

http://www.espace-aubade.fr/R-39-59-3-robinet-pour-douche-mitigeur-thermostatique.html

(Sorry - not sure how to import the pretty picture).

I tried BAO when I was in France but couldn't see any taps 'encastre' at all.

If anyone knows/comes across the same thing but a cheaper brand please let me know ...

Many thanks

Normandie

[/quote]

Aren't these the same type of thing as the photos Cassis posted earlier? As he said try Castorama, or we got ours from Mr Bricolage and they have been very good. Obviously not the same quality as those shown in your link - but you could replace them every year for the alternative of 944 €![:)]

That's a very comprehensive site and online catalogue - just what I needed.

Have ordered the catalogue and Caen is not too far to travel when next in France.

It is strange that the exact tap is 245,18 euros!!!  Sounds too good to be true!

This isn't a trade only site is it?!

Many thanks once again for everyone's help.

N

[quote user="Frederick"]

Is there anybody who has installed a wet room ? and do you think it was a better idea than a shower cubicle re condensation etc ? are you glad you have one or wish you had never done it ?.

They seem to be the way to go these days wet rooms  but I just have no experience of one ...never see one other than on TV and  they seem to chuck a lot of water about . from more than one jet in some of them .  

[/quote]

Well, it's Friday evening and on Sunday at the crack, wife and I are back to France for three weeks, so I'm demob happy! [:D]

This thread set me thinking.[blink]

I experienced these new fangled wet rooms: about thirty years ago in Greece! The shower was a spray that came out of the wall and the floor sloped and had a drain! And everything and everyone got wet!

In those days, however, they weren't called Wet Rooms: they were disparagingly described as "Agricultural"![:P]

Amazing what marketing men (and women of course) can do with an old idea, innit!

We used to stay in a house in Gozo in the 80's which had a large bathroom, with a high ceiling where entirely one end was devoted to a shower. (some 8ft or so long and about 3 or 4 ft deep). The water being contained by a small wall about a breeze block high, the entire thing being mozaic tiled, with a fixed head shower coming out of the end wall, and a shower curtain to (ineffectually) contain the spashes within the tiled area.

August in the Med islands is seldom less then scorching, but even in 40C temperatures one often felt chilled in the shower regardless of the water temperature, purely because in an open shower there is free reign for the cold air to circulate around you: and there is an endless supply of it! I would hate to envision using a shower like that in a French winter! I have a feeling that a wet room is one of those things which looks fabulous in the trendy magazines but is less glamourous to actually use.

And another thing... with a fixed shower head (esp an overhead 'watering can' type) how do you rinse those bits of you - shall we say - a little less accessible than others  (no, NOT the soles of your feet!) ?

No. Give me my metre-sq shower cubicle with its lid to keep the steam in, with 3-bar pressure water coming out of (and into ) every orifice !

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]And another thing... with a fixed shower head (esp an overhead 'watering can' type) how do you rinse those bits of you - shall we say - a little less accessible than others  (no, NOT the soles of your feet!) ?[/quote]

Yes, that is exactly why I don't like and would not install the fixed showerhead type. [:-))]

The practicalities of cleaning the shower when there's not a flexible shower head hadn't occurred to me. Good point.

[quote user="catalpa"][quote user="Gyn_Paul"]And another thing... with a fixed shower head (esp an overhead 'watering can' type) how do you rinse those bits of you - shall we say - a little less accessible than others  (no, NOT the soles of your feet!) ?[/quote]
Yes, that is exactly why I don't like and would not install the fixed showerhead type. [:-))]
The practicalities of cleaning the shower when there's not a flexible shower head hadn't occurred to me. Good point.
[/quote]

I had not thought of either of the above points - and I always fancied one of those fixed heads, oh well![:(]

hi  try this website the company is hudson reed. they are english but they have a french section of the site use this much cheaper than the english section and pay in euros. very efficient delivery. i am in the process of finishing a wet room using fitments available from them . we had a wet room in england and were very pleased with it. hope this helps

http://fr.hudsonreed.com/?splash=frsplash_douches.htm&wt.srch=1