Water pipe, who's responsibility

Department71

We are in the process of updating the kitchen and the water pipe comes into the kitchen through the floor, there is a lead pipe with a stopcock and attached to it is the water meter. 

We wish to move the pipe coming into the house and put the meter in a position that you don't have to do a limbo dance, with a torch and glasses to read the dam thing. ( we don't want the outside dug up so its a matter of repositioning the thing). The pipe is buried under the kitchen floor and it won't be difficult to dig this out as it's only a short length by the wall to move, I can dig it out no problem but it's the "sweating" (think thats what it's called) of the lead to copper pipe I want done.

Who's responsible for the work, is it the water board or a plumber?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

steve, not a 100% sure, but i doubt very much if you would be allowed to move the water meter yourself, it will belong to the water company . (you would definately not be allowed to in uk).

you can buy a fitting to go from lead to whatever pipe you are connecting to. no need try soldering straight to copper

Had mine replaced in September, due to a leak, on the supply side of the meter.

All new now, from the road into the house, no cost to me.

A French friend is looking forward to the water syndicate replacing his, as Mikew states, all the old lead has to be changed. Unfortunately for the water syndicate, they have to dig up (and renew) the tarmac courtyard, go across a tiled terrace (and renew), and then go yards to the road..................

If you wish to simply move the meter, for convenience, not sure: they maybe able to charge.

If it's old lead pipe I would probably suddenly sort of have a leak.........[6]

In the event of a leak the rule is that pipework after the meter is your responsibility so I guess you can do what you like with that; pipework up to the meter from the mains, plus the meter itself, belongs to the water company.  So if you want the meter moved you need to get them to do it. 

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Had mine replaced in September, due to a leak, on the supply side of the meter.

All new now, from the road into the house, no cost to me.

A French friend is looking forward to the water syndicate replacing his, as Mikew states, all the old lead has to be changed. Unfortunately for the water syndicate, they have to dig up (and renew) the tarmac courtyard, go across a tiled terrace (and renew), and then go yards to the road..................

If you wish to simply move the meter, for convenience, not sure: they maybe able to charge.

If it's old lead pipe I would probably suddenly sort of have a leak.........[6]

[/quote]

You just beat me to it, Gluestick. I was going to suggest :-

Gentlly excavate the soil outside the house to....

Reveal the lead pipe.

Insert and remove a 1" panel pin.

Replace soil.

Pick up phone.

p

Probably only needs bending a bit, GP! If it is anything like mine was................

When the guy dug it all out, he showed she whom must be obeyed. Apparently, there as only a tiny gap right in the middle! The rest was corrosion.

What does now puzzle me, was that the house had to have an apparently tough lead survey, as part of the Acte de Vente. Whilst this was really picky, mentioning small areas of paint etc, there was absolutely no mention of the water mains.................................

I had to change the whole mainwater riser in a flat in the UK a few years ago, as the surveyor for the mortgagee placed this on the retention list, as it was Early Edwardian lead.

Strange.......................

You are not allowed to move the meter for the water yourself but you can prepare the new hole for the box if it is going outside to save a few euros. We had ours moved 1.5m from inside the dairy door to the outside and it cost us over 300€ with a new meter included and we dug the hole too. Anything on your side of the meter is your responsibility and hence your problem if there is a leak through not turning off the stopcock by the meter if you leave the property empty.

Thanks for all the replies, I wasn't sure due to things i have heard regarding who does what on services. In the UK the elec board will and can rewire a house etc but I understand in France they don't. Wasn't sure about the water though.

Now where is that 1mm drill bit........

Thanks all

Steve

PS I wasn't going to move it myself but wanted to know who to contact.

hi

ok it`s not your`s ... tell you a tale I have told before......our water meter is just outside the house  but it is 20metres inside our boundry .long story short first bite with the mini digger when installing the fosse and yes straight through it , had to phone water board the stop cock was seized ,,still have not had a bill ..............

hit it with a pick and phone em out

dave

That happened to us in our barn when I put a pickaxe through it. Robbing b******s invoiced us heavily for the call out and repair and they used a second hand fitting which you can buy cheaper new from Catena. Whenthey put the new meter in, they took the fitting back.