Whats all the 'fosse' about!!

Jacqui      Too

Let me tell you a story

27 years ago we bought a property in the country with no mains sewage,

Installed septic tank number 1 with appropriate soak away in garden/orchard,

Lived there 13 years, no smells, no emptying, no fat trap, no additives, still works today as far as I know!

Bought another house in country, this already had a septic tank installed 7 years previously, lived there 13 years, only cleaned it out once, when we came to sell it!

Again no smells, no fat trap, no additives, still works as far as I know!

New barn conversion: installed septic tank number 3 two years ago, no smells, no emptying, no fat trap, no additives!

Father in law always swore by adding a dead rabbit to a new septic tank did the job!

Now I know you all say that we can’t expect things to be the same in France as they are in Britain, but surely a septic tank is the same in any country!!

We shall be installing septic tank number 4 soon, but this time in FRANCE!! We shall see!

Chipie

I too have been told about using a small dead animal to seed the fosse.  All the additives you can buy today are so confusing and very expensive.  To me, they just seem to be there because the marketing depts have found something to sell and the confusion is all part of it!  I'm sure they work, in part, but if the fosse is correctly installed and sized it should run for years without problem, without additives.  However, problems occur when the use is irregular eg in a gite install and there are many a gite I've been to were the fosse stinks.  Months on end without use, then it is expected to cope with 6 peoples waste full time for 2 weeks, then just 2 people etc etc.  Does any one have a cure for this problem (maybe flushing a rat every 2weeks [:P]) ?

We used to put the dead rabbits, rats, mice etc that the cats brought back into our septic tank in the UK. Seemed to keep it healthy.

I understand the need for the dead animals, eparcyl etc is not because the fosse doesn't work, but because of all the chemicals we put into it - we kill the bugs. Dead animals quickly attract bacteria, which gets the fosse working again very quickly. If you are very meticulous about what you put down your drains ( no bleach, fats, use proper detergents and washing powder etc etc), then there should never be a problem or need for any intervention. However, no one is perfect, so the dead stuff / Eparcyl is always handy!

If you are away for a while the bacteria can eat/digest or whatever they do to all the solids, and then die off, so the Eparcyl is to re-start the process. And I dont know about you, but I find that I never have a dead cat to hand when I need one...

(None of this applies to me because the fairies come and take it away in the night.)

Just in the process of having a new fosse installed, the previous one doesn't meet this years new rules, The new one is HUGE in comparison to the old and has very large gravel beds which the old one didn't have and the whole garden looked like the Somme. We had to sign a form from the Maire to ok us releasing clean water into the ground (the fact the the old grey water just leached away which was very smelly and it had to be an improvement is beside the point!) We also had some lady whose title I can't remember came to see what we were doing takes pictures half way through to ensure its done correctly (Like a building officer but not) send a bill for nearly 200Euros and then we get a certificate that says we meet the 2007 regulations soif and when we come to sell there can be no arrguments about the fosse (yipee!) But no dead animals to date! but when I go next week and if its smelly I'll know what to do!!!! quite where I'll find a dead animal is another issue I've no time to be trawlling arround for road kill!!!!

[quote user="Abs Turner"]Just in the process of having a new fosse installed, the previous one doesn't meet this years new rules, The new one is HUGE in comparison to the old and has very large gravel beds which the old one didn't have and the whole garden looked like the Somme. We had to sign a form from the Maire to ok us releasing clean water into the ground (the fact the the old grey water just leached away which was very smelly and it had to be an improvement is beside the point!) We also had some lady whose title I can't remember came to see what we were doing takes pictures half way through to ensure its done correctly (Like a building officer but not) send a bill for nearly 200Euros and then we get a certificate that says we meet the 2007 regulations soif and when we come to sell there can be no arrguments about the fosse (yipee!) But no dead animals to date! but when I go next week and if its smelly I'll know what to do!!!! quite where I'll find a dead animal is another issue I've no time to be trawlling arround for road kill!!!![/quote] 

and to think in as little as 12 years you could be going through it all again

dave

[quote user="Cerise"]

Abs - could be a new business opportunity.  Purveyor of road kill to Brits in France - don't know what you would register as, but I'll look out for your adverts[6][6]

Mr Smith,I hope that is NOT what becomes of your kittens.[:)]

[/quote]

Funny you should say that Cerise, the only time we have visited the Camargue, we saw at least 10 dead cats on the roads there. Seemed to be every few miles there was one. It was very very odd.

Dave wrote:

"and to think in as little as 12 years you could be going through it all again"

Are you saying that even if we use 'Eparcyl' and 'dead bodies' [+o(][+o(] that the fosse could be obsolete in 12 years!!

What a wonderful thread this has turned out to be[+o(]

Chipie

• 2 weeks later...

The regulations are that everyone is supposed to be connected to a system that meets an approved standard. this can be either mains drainage or an acceptable private system.

This was supposed to have been fully implemented a couple of years ago, but it is taking longer than expected to inspect everyone.

If you are not connected to the mains then, you have to prove that your private system is not polluting the environment. The inspector will make recommendations as to what improvements, if any, are needed to an existing private system. There is now an annual charge to have your own system, and this pays for the regular inspections.

Some larger villages have put in mains drainage, and the resulting ruts in the road can be seen as you drive round France. If mains are installed then you have two years to connect.

It was never intended to provide mains drainage for every remote cottage in France

Our village has 65 inhabitants and we we're told that the village will never have mains drains (even though they do own a couple of houses which have shared drainage ) It was also said that if you had an old style fosse that was working you could carry on using it until they came and surveyed your area, but if you wanted to sell you house it had to comply to the new standards. Also if you start asking questions about what drains etc etc you seem to get a survey (cost 180 euro) and you would then have to make the improvements. I think it's best just to bite the bullet and get it done, its very disruptive to the garden and it need to be situated quite close to the house with the gravel beds further away (which seem to the thing that has changed most in the new regulations, the water has to be clean as it runs off your property) Hope this helps email me if you what any for info as we've just had our installed.

[quote user="Chipie"]

Dave wrote:

"and to think in as little as 12 years you could be going through it all again"

Are you saying that even if we use 'Eparcyl' and 'dead bodies' [+o(][+o(] that the fosse could be obsolete in 12 years!!

What a wonderful thread this has turned out to be[+o(]

Chipie

[/quote]

hi

ok what I am saying is that the sand filter could be ,in as little as 12 years, be saturated and need replacing.!!!

will post this little bit as a new posting

we have in this area a bit of an epidemic of chest infections going round Dr are giving out anti-biotics like sweets ...

these will  pass through you and kill all your good buggs in the fosse !

try using Tarax in your systems or top up buggs when you have your  finnished tablets

dave

ps pics of a fosse system here page 3 ?? think

http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/?start=40

[quote user="Creuse Cat"]

Hi,

Does anyone have a link to the new rules regarding installation of fosse's. I thought there was some new legislation in France that all houses had to be connected to the mains. Anyone??

[/quote]

Yes,  Everyone has to be connected to mains drainage.  That one's right

up there with the law prohibiting snow after 28th feb, limiting the

maximum summer temperature to 30C, and restricting the rainfall to

100mm annually !

p

From the earlier research I carried out and the knowledge of both French friends and English friends (one who is a retired lawyer who until a few years ago practice as an Advocate in France and keeps himself up to speed on French law, politics and so on) it seems that the idea of all houses bing on main drainage is just that: a nice idea.

If one looks at the vast numbers of small communes, spread out all over metropolitan France, the sheer distances involve and not last the cost..................

Apparently, the nearest that some communes can achieve, is to organise a central sewerage bio-processing plant. However, the next problem is who is going to pay for it?

The communes certainly can't; the departements can't and won't. The residents? Many are retired and live on a small fixed income. The state? Eh, no: they are presently trying to cut the budget and this concept figures very low on the packing order.

I believe that this target will, like so many nice ideas, be re-jigged.

Apparently there are some new concepts in small individual stand-alone treatment plants. Friends near us have only just had one installed. I will update once I have the details on the next trip over.

hi

ok just a bit of info on adding too much or too many bugs to the fosse . If you have a modern fosse system sized correctly to the usage adding bugs can actually damage the drainage field .

you should have 3 layers in the tank , the soilids in the bottom layer , a middle liquid layer ( with the solids in suspension ) and a top crust layer. this top layer filters the liquid going out from the tank ( as well as the rock filter ) , if you add to much too often it can digest the top layer causing soilids to leak past and block the drainage field.... and can cause the bottom layer to bubble up with the excessive gasses formed

you produce enough of these good bio`s yourself  ( no details here ) to run the fosse system if it is used regularly ...

but holiday homes ???? old sytems with small tanks ???

dave