Changing from 6kW

Doodle

I'm about to have some electric heating fitted and need to upgrade from 6 to 9kW. Can someone tell me if EDF arrive and do the necessary from inside or is it done from the outside or is it a remote thing and someone presses a button somewhere and hey presto !

As you can tell I know nothing about electricity!

Christina

[quote user="knee gel"]

As you can tell I know nothing about electricity!

Christina[/quote]

If that is genuinely the case then who's told you that you need to increase to 9kW?

I agree that when you have a decent amount of electric heating installed it seems that 9kW is the norm but are you aware that if you visit an EDF office armed with all the info on youe electrical appliances they will run a simulation to assess what power supply you need?

The reason for bringing this up is that you will be paying more standing charge for the higher supply so it's best to make sure that you actually need it before you go ahead.

Thanks for all the replies.

Benjamin - the electrician that's fitting the heaters said I would probably need to upgrade and I do think that it's necessary as late one evening last winter (I had 3 electric plug in heaters going the TV on and a couple of lamps on not forgetting the fridge) I went off to put the kettle on and then went upstairs - when I put the light on to go up - we were plunged into darkness and now to highlight the point of my ignorance, I thought we'd had a powercut so we went to bed as we'd been told that when you get one you can be out for hours. The next day around midday it occured to me that I might have tripped us out - yep twas a long time coming but I got there eventually!