Winterising water systems

free radical

what precautions are necessary to protect a  holiday home from freezing temperatures and burst pipes during the winter when the property will be mostly empty and unheated ??

Will turning off the cold mains supply suffice , does the Chauffe-Eau need to be emptied ??

All advice gratefully recieved  -thanks

If they had anything like the mess and hassle and expense I had last winter, [:'(] I don't blame them for starting early[:)]

5 burst radiators, 3 shattered taps, 1 well pump cracked, a boiler pipe shattered and goodness knows how many leaky pipes[:(][:(][:(] I will be draining down the heating system and the hot water tank and the well storage tank! Anything else I should be thinking of[blink]

Turning off the mains stops gallons of water running through burst pipes but it offers no protection against the water in the pipes freezing, expanding then bursting joints, taps and pipes. We did drain and also emptied WC cistens, when we had a holiday home. It was cold enough to freeze plumbing in ourappent barn last winter in the Gironde

I used to be quite flipant regarding this freezing issue but after seeing the damage to the rell'ys properties I will do a full drain down.

Suggest using Saur's stopcock as addition to any you may have, if yours fail then you have a big water bill, if theirs fails that's their problem.

Even flexi pipes to taps burst this year so drain everything just in case.

A problem can be in pipes where there are not draincocks at the lowest level. In these cases, water will remain in the pipe with the potential to freeze and burst the pipe.

Better to set the boiler thermostat to a frost setting to that it comes on and raises the temperature to prevent freezing but shuts off at a low temperature thereby no using much fuel but ensuring no costs associated with burst pipes.

Paul

We had significant problems last Hiver.

It was most unusual weather however: -15 C for a few days and then stuck beneath freezing for two weeks, according to our immediate neighbours.

Normally, I drain down as uch of the cold and hot water pipes: and flush the loos. This Winter I forgot the main loo!

Oooops!

The cistern suffered a hairline crack and finally "let go" when Mrs GS was safely ensconced late one evening! Mainly since the water would have frozen from the top down: and then expanded sideways exerting enormous pressure on the china sides and bottom.

I don't drain down the Ballon: however I do have a 200 Watt tube heater placed directly underneath which comes on at 12.00 midnight and goes off at 08.00AM via Heures Creuse.

I do have drain down taps fitted on both cold and hot feeds to the bathroom and the Ballon itself: not ideal since the French Plombiere didn't follow my very carefully prepared and simple diagram! Do they ever?

My prescription is as follows:

Flush all Loos after mains water turned off:

Splash some anti-freeze into the Loo basins:

Drain  down as much as possible:

Turn all taps "On". - to allow expansion.

If not localised heating is fitted to the Ballon, then drain it down.

None of this would have prevented the problems I experienced with the cabin type shower!

See here:

The core reason being that the thermostatic bit is beneath the "On-Off" and distribution valve (The bit that diverts the water either to the shower head or the massage sprays either side).

That's basically very poor design and nothing I can rectify.

C'est la vie !

Thanks for all the replies so far , I guess until we know what temperatures to expect we shall have to implement as many of the suggestions as possible .

The house is stone built and situated on the borders of Deux Sevres and Charente Maritime  , the only heating is a log burner which wont help a lot if we are not there!!  The French Meteo site shows  average winter lows  for Poiters area of minus 2 or 3 but I expect lower than that in the rural surroundings .

Has anyone experience of plastic tubing for water pipes ( as opposed to copper ) I presume it will be more resistant to bursting as it allows for more expansion  ?

Also , I dont understand the reference to Saur's stopcock , what is this and where is it fitted ?

Thanks again for all the inputs.

[quote]

Also , I dont understand the reference to Saur's stopcock , what is this and where is it fitted ?[/quote]

Your water supplier's main stopcock.

In the road or at the kerb immediately outside your property. It will isolate the main water supply from your property.

The point being made is if the pipe bursts on "Your" side of the meter, then you could be responsible for thousands of leaking litres!

[quote user="free radical"]

Has anyone experience of plastic tubing for water pipes ( as opposed to copper ) I presume it will be more resistant to bursting as it allows for more expansion  ?

[/quote]

My experience was  my pied à terre in England laid up for winter, water switched off but not drained down and crucially taps not left open.

I had over 10 ruptures of the 2 year old copper pipe including sections inside insulated cloisons, en revanche the pipework under the floor and totally exposed to the elements (its a wooden chalet) was intact despite not being insulated as luckily I had used rigid PE tube there.

I know what I will use in future 

[quote user="free radical"]

The house is stone built and situated on the borders of Deux Sevres and Charente Maritime  , the only heating is a log burner which wont help a lot if we are not there!!  The French Meteo site shows  average winter lows  for Poiters area of minus 2 or 3 but I expect lower than that in the rural surroundings .

[/quote]

You must be quite close to me.  I purchased in Feb this year and the property although furnished has evidently survived the last 3 winters unopened with nothing more than the water being turned off at the mains. It is also stone and has very little insulation.

Agree with most of the advice you have been given

I would question what anti freeze might do to a fosse, salt is a better option

Last winter was bad, caused mainly by short very cold spells, this seems to be the worst weather for bursts

In the end turn off the water, open the taps and hope for the best

It is very difficult to completely drain water systems

The chauffe eau should be ok as it is insulated

Most important is the heating if you have it

Heating should always be left switched on frost protection, or about 8C if you have no frost protection, then you should only be at risk of a burst on an outside supply

If you have heating always leave the electric supply switched on or the boiler and controls will not work

Le Plombier

The main points seem to have been covered, but one piece of advice seems to be missing..... pay a caretaker to check your house whilst you are away, then even if there is a burst it can be dealt with and damage can be limited.

In very cold weather we always do extra visits to 'our' houses, and also just as importantly when the weather improves - so that any thawed-out bursts are dealt with.

It costs our clients sweeties compared to the cost of the damage if a leak and the subsequent mouldering mildewing mess are left for several weeks/months.

We also 'run up' the water system several days in advance of a client's arrival so that we have time to fix any problems, calling out a plumber if nec.

Le P: I didn't suggest automotive antifreeze!

Bad expression probably: mea culpa!

Can be anything which lowers the point at which water freezes, which is basically any non-active (Inert) substance .

Personally, I wouldn't use salt, since this is liable to kill off the bacteria which a fosse depends on for its unique anaeorobic bacterial function.

A simple way is to stick an 'umble tennis ball in the basin: the integrity of the U-Tube is preserved - thus retaining the "Pong Trap": and anecodotally, the ball compresses allowing the water to expand around it.

All that said, the naughty water can always be sucked out of the loo, when the house is reopened come Spring.

OK: a little will penetrate around he bend, but a few copious flushings and a hood dose of (e.g.) Eparcyl should soon sort that out!

Polly: one slight problem. fuites tend to be nasty little devils and lurk away hidden from sight! A normal visual inspection is rarely enough!

Life not being simple -tell me about it! - these days particularly with French spec copper tube which rarely splits as the wall thickness is much higher, leaks and bursts come from "Blown" soldered joints, where the amalgum process has been inferior, the bond has been broken, the fitting has perhaps moved 1/32" or in metric terms, .3 m.m. and the awful truth is not revealed until the main stopcock is turned on, whereupon, a mini-Niagara breaks out!

For those who leave their heating on, permanently, then the mains water must be on also, or the system will not function; with modern boiler detectors.

Leaks can happen even where the temp is maintained above freezing.

Help is at hand!

There are electro-mechanical leak devices which monitor standing water pressure: a large leak and the pressure drops and the valve isolates the system. Our new Siemens washer has one: it connects between the feed tap and the machine and if a leak happens in the flexible feed pipe to the device, it instantly isolates the feed.

The newer technologies are developing "Mapped" isolating valves which retain usage data and "Know" that little or no water is consumed in Winter, from past experience.

Gluestick

Couple of points on your post

Whilst French spec copper tube is thicker wall than English spec the tube wall will split with a frozen pipe rather than the joint separate

That is provided the joint has been made properly in the first place, whether it be hard or soft solder

For those who leave their heating on permenantly the mains water supply should still be turned off and the electric supply switched on

The vast majority of heating systems here are sealed pressurised systems that require manual topping up of pressure when necessary

The only exception to this is an atmospheric open vented system in which case I would agree with you

The last thing you want in a freezing situation is the mains water supply turned on as it could be running full belt in your property for days or weeks before it is discovered

Modern boilers are pressure sensitive and will shut off the boiler in the event of a pressure loss in a sealed heating system

It is therefore important, with a sealed system, to ensure you have a stable system pressure and no leaks before you depart for the winter

Cracked toilet pans and burst chauffe eaus are very rare, burst pipes are common

The most disastrous results of freezing occurs on heating systems, either due to boiler failure or the owner seeking to save a few pennies by shutting off the heating for the winter

I have seen burst radiators and burst boiler shells which makes for very expensive repairs

Be lucky, last winter loads of problems, previous two winters not one telephone call to deal with a burst pipe

Le Plombier

Agree mainly, Le P; in a rush today far too much going on.

I did say, though :

[quote]leaks and bursts come from "Blown" soldered joints, where the amalgum process has been inferior, the bond has been broken, the fitting has perhaps moved 1/32" or in metric terms, .3 m.m. and the awful truth is not revealed until the main stopcock is turned on, whereupon, a mini-Niagara breaks out[/quote]

I have not suffered one burst as in split copper pipe: all of the - multitudes of! - leaks this year were on joints where the inferior French plombiere obviously didn't know his stuff. And the joints were clearly "Dry".

In the greniere, where the hot feed pipe for the kitchen temporarily traverses circa 15 metres,  the soffits have not been yet boxed and it must have been as cold as outside (-15 Deg C), since I have re-done every joint chasing built in leaks [:'(], all was OK.

If the pipe was of course Phosphor-Copper Brazed - properly - then I would agree that 100% of the time the pipe would normally let go along the lateral manufacturing weld, since part from the minor crystallization of the parent metal along the joint, the brazed joint would enjoy a tensile strength many times higher.

Surely, anti-freeze/corrosion inhibitor ought to protect rads, pipes and boiler core in a totally sealed system? Even if off?