tax habitation & fonc

[quote user="tj"]

Hi

Habitation tax is generated by your tax return, also includes your TV licence fee, just received ours a few days ago

[/quote]

I don't think that is right, otherwise all non residents for tax purposes would never get theirs[:D]. It just comes along following the normal  buying a property process, sometimes it can take a while for it to filter through the system.

Hi

I dont know how the holiday homers go on with theirs, which is kind of irrelevent to your question..

But when you put in your tax return, it asked where you were living on the first of Jan 2007, and this is the basis of your habitation tax demand.

[quote user="Tandem_Pilot"]

How can it be generated by a tax return?

If I have a maison secondaire, do I not pay habitation tax? (UK resident)

[/quote]

Normally, when you purchase your maison secondaire the notaire notifies the authorities so that the taxes(Habitation and Foncieres) are transferred from the seller to the buyer.

That assumes that the maison secondaire is habitable.

In our case, we have not been assessed the T de H because the house has been under extensive renovation.  We have been told by our sous-maire that we should notify the mairie when the renovation is complete and we move our furniture into the maison secondaire.  He says the mairie will take care of notifying the taxing authorities.

We purchased our holiday home in November 2005.  Visited Tax Office in June 2006 - NOT ON COMPUTER with shrug of shoulders!  French friends advised we would not be forgotten!!!  Visited again last week and were told that a bill had been sent to Scotland ( I told them I hadn't received one).  No, of course not because "we are sending it on 31st October !!!!!!!!!!!) 

I enquired if this account was for 2006 and 2007 (another shrug of the shoulders!!!)  I will await the account which I probably won't understand so will post here for translation - PLEASE.

We've owned a holiday home in the Creuse for 11 years and always paid both tax hab. and fonciere.  My understanding is that the notaire automatically informs the local mairie and taxes office, as we received both bills fairly promptly after picking up the keys!

The TV licence is included in the tax d'hab. but every year we receive a letter asking if we have a telly - we don't and reply accordingly.  then a few weeks later comes the tax d'hab bill but without any mention of a television charge.  I think that if you get a tax d'hab. bill and there is a television payment, and you don't have one, then you have to inform the authority and get them to remove it.

Went to a local `tresor public` today and they said the bill had been sent to my last address in the UK ..... thanks to those who mentioned this happens.

Paid both today , tax fonciere had gone down 323e was 425e last year (previous owner paid part last year) , tax habitation 185e.

Not bad 508e total , £350 compared with £1,400 council tax in the UK , the difference can go towards private health care , maybe I can stay here [;-)]