Dodgy British Builders !!!

On the way up to the Ferry last week I counted 3 British builder type transit vans heading SW. Today on the way down from the ferry I counted 4......yes 4. Bob & sons plasterers from Stoke or somewhere and the others were general building type...stuff with that typical builder typeface across the van. What are they up to in France ?

When will people learn. THE WORK WILL NOT BE GUARANTEED YOU BRTISH DORDOGNE MUPPETS....

Well who cares...let them burn...This thread made me laugh.

https://www.angloinfo.com/dordogne/discussions/financial-legal/dodgy-builders

I see Leven is still alive and well. Come back Brain !!!

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"] Today on the way down from the ferry I counted 4......yes 4. Bob & sons plasterers from Stoke or somewhere and the others were general building type...stuff with that typical builder typeface across the van. What are they up to in France ? [/quote]

Ok, I'll take a punt on answeing that. Plastering perhaps?

But those four vehicles could equally have read:

Bob & sons plasterers from Stoke

or

Bob & Söhne Gipser aus Schweinfurt

or

Bob & fii plasticieni de la Sânnicolau

or

Bob & synové štukatáři ze Svinibrod

You see, the EU is structured around freedom of movement of goods and services. However, with your narrow mindset being obsessively
fixed between UK and France (SW) and coupled with your impaired vision you are never likely to able to ever see beyond the end of your snout. Dream on fella.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Don't matter where they are from.....still not legal to operate in France.[/quote]

Hm?

So what you are saying is that if.....

Bob & sons plasterers from Stoke

or

Bob & Söhne Gipser aus Schweinfurt

or

Bob & fii plasticieni de la Sânnicolau

or

Bob & synové štukatáři ze Svinibrod

......have the above logos blazened across their vehicles they cannot legally carry out works in France.

Can you post a link to a site where this gem of information can be verified for me.

Build a house..get someone who will guarantee it for 10 years..plaster a wall..get the best person for the job. No different to doing it yourself is it? There are also plenty of Bob the builders who are legitimately registered in France but still drive vans with Bob the builder on the side.

Its not just dodgy builders. There are dodgy software providers etc. from the UK. Likewise, no doubt, in the other direction.

My problem with ALBF, who does actually sometimes give very good and useful information, is that he gives provocative and plainly stupid comments sometimes.

Its a bit like the boy who cried wolf - in the end you think that all he spouts is rubbish.

@ Lindal.....it is possible that the three blokes dressed as builders sitting in a UK reg van driving from the ferry were off to their French rural retreat, but it is more likely they were off to do a job methinks

Sorry Ricard51, there is an important message here.

You cannot employ builders registered in the UK to do work for you in France. If you get caught, you will be heavily finned. If there is a serious workplace accident, you will possibly go to jail. If the work all goes tîts up you are in the merde. If you try and sell your house without invoices for major work, buyers will (or should) stay clear.

You can.

You wont.

You wont.

They wont.

That said if you want to keep a low profile and not attract undesirable attention then having foreign signwritten vans on your property is pretty dumb, dumber still having a TV crew on hand to record their bodges and show the world.

Albof, watch a couple of épisodes of "Escape to the château" and you will see that you can, you wont, you wont and they certainly should [:D]

Hope the OP goes OK, dont let your blood pressure raise afterwards by things like Bob the builder or Monsieur Fish & Chips the Codfather.

But surely you can get a few mates over to help you out and then when it comes to sell just say you don't have receipts because you did all the work yourself. Most people wouldn't bat an eyelid if the work was okay.

We've just finished our first rental property, which ended up needing a total renovation rather than a lick of paint and we only have receipts for the materials. We are about to embark on a second project which basically needs all the DIY done by the French owners, ripped out and re-done, but it didn't put us off buying..although did lower the price! Will try and post a link to some photos of the first project and you can see what you think ALBF.

Some friends of mine are having a problem with a house they sold.

The new owner is claiming that there are 'vices cachés'

If an artisan has done the work his insurance should cover any defect, but since they 'did it themselves' the buyer's avocat is holding them personally responsible and is even arguing that the usual 'get-out' clause in the contract (which allows a private seller greater leeway in matters of 'vices cachés)  doesn't apply, since by doing the work they effectively became developers rather than just private individuals.

I can't tell you the outcome as it is literally taking years, but I have been involved with translation etc.

All that to say that what you do for yourself is fine while you still live in the property, but it could come back to haunt you if a buyer finds a problem and wants to be difficult.

THIS ABSOLUTELY DRIVES ME MAD!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS THE STUPIDITY OF THE EU!!!!!!

AM I SHOUTING?  YOU BETCHYA, I AM!!!!!![:@]

Free movement my backside, it is unfair to local businesses, builders, plumbers etc in France to import 'cheap' labour from other countries.  Who like the likes of Amazon, avoid paying their dues in that country. There is no difference it is just the scale, and for a little local business, it is the difference between keeping going, putting a crust on the table.

IT DISGUSTS ME.

I am still not sure of the legality of it, and I find myself knowing quite a lot of people from the UK who have gone to France to do jobs, not mates, but paid jobs.  

And we have good friends in France, who are builders and plumbers, and need to make a living and rale about the 'charges' made by government, but they pay up never the less.

So, the legality, maybe these people should all be reported to the URSSAF and let them decide......... even those working for Zee Big Moustache!!!!! Love France but not enough to get local artisans in to do  the work........ really........... cannot watch a thing with him in now.

And I have nothing against mates helping with jobs, we help, friends in France when there, friends here. And they help us, that is different.

I'm certainly not arguing that you shouldn't use local artisans, whatever their nationality. Whenever we've had to pay others to do work they've all been legit. Paying a legit person doesn't always give you a good result. The work we undid in the little renovation was done by someone legit, and I know people who's whole project as been delayed for years because they are still waiting for their builder's insurance company to sort out a claim. Our builder screwed up on our house a..we decided not to pursue it as otherwise we'd still be unfinished and the insurance company would have done nothing. We put it right ourselves.

Idun, free movement only gives you the right to move and work legally, it does not give you the right to work illegally or on the black. Income earned in one country should be declared in that country, even if you are not resident.

This article is relevant

http://www.midilibre.fr/2017/07/07/montpellier-une-carte-d-identite-pour-les-ouvriers-du-batiment,1533675.php

Depuis le 22 mars dernier pour les régions Occitanie et Nouvelle Aquitaine, et à partir du 1er août prochain dans tout l'Hexagone ; l'Île-de-France et les Dom étant les derniers territoires où ce point particulier de la loi Macron de l'été 2015 entrera en vigueur.

[quote user="idun"]There is no difference it is just the scale, and for a little local business, it is the difference between keeping going, putting a crust on the table.

IT DISGUSTS ME.[/quote]

We can take it then that you do all your weekly shopping with the 'corner shop' and on 'the high street' and never ever set foot in those industrialsed self serving emporiums we know as supermarkets.

Well done, highly commendable of you.

"A friend in need's a pest. Get rid."

This reminds me of a poster my "boss" had in his office - "a problem shared is a problem 2 people have".

Ironic, because this was a clinic for children with problems [;-)]

There 's a shortage of builders in the Dordogne and a couple of big builders in Bergerac are unable to fulfil their contracts at the moment as they can't get any one to work for them. Our friend is a painter and decorator and he is having to turn down work or sub contract if to Bob the Builder as he just can't find anyone with the skills. He's always trying to get OH to help out but he's got his own projects to get on with. Round this way if you're good and you want to work there's no shortage, whether you are French, Dutch, English., whatever... There's a chap here that's been advertising for a builder to build his house for several months with no luck. Perhaps Bob the builder was heading his way,

It is like that everywhere in France Lindal1000.

But....making money as a builder, well that is a different matter !!!! France being the way it is.

@ Chancer, yes the OP went well. Took 3 mins with a laser firing bullets at my eye. Before my eye was bright red and I looked like a zombie....don't ask me why. Now it has gone all white and normal. I could start pulling again. lol

1. turnover tax - absolutely the right thing to do.

2. builders in Dordogneshire - yes a good builder won't be short of work. Do they make money - I would think they are comfortable as the cost to the customer is rather high as well as the state's take.

[quote user="Patf"]
"A friend in need's a pest. Get rid."

This reminds me of a poster my "boss" had in his office - "a problem shared is a problem 2 people have".

Ironic, because this was a clinic for children with problems [;-)]

[/quote]

Ah, something similar to this place then. I wondered how I already knew everybody.

1. You don't have to agree for the sake of it ALBF. If I was stuck there in the middle of winter away from friends, family etc I wouldn't be too happy. We do have a bigish house there (5 bed) and bought with the possible intention of having our kids and their OHs there lots of the time: big mistake as they grow up and have differing priorities. Still you never know!

2. Gave up on renting out as too much hassle and damage for little reward - you need to be there! However OH is into home exchange and we have had good exchanges: Hawaii, South Africa, Singapore Iceland, Aruba and many more for the cost of car hire and flights. Minimal compared to the crazy costs of package holidays.

3. will give later as OH is moaning for me to do something