Dodgy British Builders !!!

4. ALBF mentions Asda - doesn't he mean Aldi. In the UK the Aldi near to us is rammed every time we visit. The two near us in france are always, shall we say, underused. They are excellent value compared to other supermarkets though. Really don't understand why this is the case.

NB When we visit the one in the smaller town near us ( NOT Eymet) there is always a UK car presence in the carpark.

ALBF - I must relate a story about Aldi. Our friend near to us in France equally states that she would not be seen dead in Aldi (or words to that effect). When she had a problem with her leg last year we took her shopping and went to Aldi (5 euros bottle of St Emilion top shelf on left) but she absolutely refused to go in and stayed in the car. We did our shopping and went to intermarche (I think) for her. She did her shopping there and as she went round I noted that her purchases were very similar to ours - even to the case of identical brands for some - and guess what : Aldi was a darned bit cheaper.

A few weeks ago we were having dinner together and her OH really enthused about the bottle of wine we had opened (St Emilion, top shelf on left) but wasn't impressed with the next bottle, which we had bought from intermarche for a similar price. He actually knows his wine quite well.

Give it a go ALBF and you may be surprised. Not for the veg though or for more unusual stuff. You do need to go to larger supermarkets for those or OH loves to go to Grande Fraise. Local markets too of course but beware of touristy ones.

Another money saving tip from OH - get your hair done in UK before going to France as prices in France are way high. NB personally I don't have an issue in that respect.

Lidl food was perhaps of lower quality for a lot of items but it was quite some time since we went there. NB isn't salad classed as a food?

[quote user="richard51"]Ok sorted.

3. "getting rid of a friend in need": my goodness I'm amazed that you actually post that. You need help and I hope/assume you can afford it. My sympathy will be given but my thoughts are my own.[/quote]

Far be it for me to break up this new albof and richard51 relationship but just to clarify that I'm perfectly able and capable of getting rid of both friend and foe without any help, aid or asssistance. As to being able to afford it, well we have adequate wealth to continue through the remainder of this life and comfortably through the next one. Thank you for your sympathies but totally unnecessary. As for your thoughts. Who gives a shyte?

Let your 'lovefest' continue.

Maybe classifying them as rogue/pirate builders is a bit hasty.

We have friends nearby with a fishing lake - many of their customers are british who come over for a week or two of fishing. I'd guess half of them drive their working vans, complete with company logo on the side.

As far as I know, most don't build a house or two on the black while they're here....

Cheers