Tarmac

alittlebitfrench

Yours sincerely ALBF... expert on everything.

Well, I'm not an expert but, as gravel has the ability to move around I would guess that it wouldn't be a good base for tarmac something that never really sets hard. Probably OK in the winter but come the warm summers, you could be in trouble.They just resurfaced the village car park and I noticed they used about 150mm of crushed stone type hardcore, rolled and rolled with a heavy roller then laid around 30/40mm tarmac. I take no responsibility for these measurements.as a visit to SpecSavers is imminent. LOL

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="Leven"]tarmac on gravel works [/quote] Really?

Crushed compacted stone yes.

[/quote]

And you have inspected the OPs drive? you may not have noticed but its well known that gravel can become compacted over a very short period of time. just saying. Also the OP may well have compacted his gravel..

No the gravel is not compacted. The gravel was a short term fix to prevent mud being walked into the house. Although it is on generations of rubble so it is quite firm.

I am now rearranging/landscaping everything in the cour and garden. I was considering tarmac in certain areas as an option. OH keeps getting stuck in the gravel with her stilettos and saying it is my fault.

Started to dig out the swimming pool. And I must say it is more work than I expected by hand.

Job has been interrupted by finding a medieval ring of stones and loads of other stuff. No gold yet though. Couple of broken fireplaces and loads of tomettes.

Now, had I let loose someone with a digger to dig the hole that stone medieval thing would have been destroyed.

ALBF rule No 1. Don't let anyone near a medieval garden with a digger.

Well, we had our driveway and shared private road tarmacked as part of our new house build in 2014. The specification was for 50cm depth of 'tout venant' (hard core to you and I) on geotextile (weedproof membrane), very well compacted, then a 7cm layer of fine gravel, again very well compacted and thoroughly rolled. The tarmac finish layer was 6cm thick, done by a reputable company round these parts. The aim is not only to have a well compacted base to prevent sinking, but it is also important for the tout venant and gravel to be of uniform size. This prevents irregular heave in the surface when the moisture in the base freezes in winter. If the base is made up of irregular grade substrates, differential movement can occur in frozen conditions, with associated cracking and breaking up of the tarmac, etc.

Despite the huge variations in temperature that we face in the Alps (-15 to +35 degrees C), we are into our 4th winter and all looks as good as new......

• 1 month later...