Chip & Pin.

Jc

Aren't French credit card processors dragging their feet;on my latest visit to France about two thirds of my dealings still needed to be signed.One asked for my code,accepted it and then asked for a signature.Another restaurant which did accept my code had a machine with instructions in German.

"Aren't French credit card processors dragging their feet;"

Not at all - my card has been accepted for 2 years but then - it is French. As France has had chip and pin cards for years rather than minutes as in UK perhaps you should remember the old saying "when in Rome ...".

John

not 

I think it all depends on the system the stores computer uses and upon whether the Checkout Op has heard us speak in English. We have a UK chip and pin card and can use it as such in most retailers , but our local Lidl insist we `swipe` and sign even though we tell the staff to use the pin system.

Mrs O

Yes, France (and other European countries) have been ahead of the game for many years with CHIP & PIN.  The way the UK goes on about it you would think that they invented it and no one else has it 

Well in part that is true. 

The system being used in the UK is different to that used up to now in France, which is why some UK cards will not work here, The system being rolled out across the UK is a new system and more secure than the current French one, The new system will be used across Europe, so now France will be changing to new readers and our French cards will be changed to the same type as the new UK C&P cards.

Yes,I subsequently checked up-the old machines(mainly in France)can read the old simple cards but new high-tech PIN cards which are now Pan-European need a higher level of technology which is not yet installed in all of France.I went to a Champion Supermarket just outside Boulougne-the till needed a code but I had to sign for fuel.

You can visit the same store on different occasions, and can have acceptance of chip and pin on one visit, yet problems on another!  Some assistants seem to have problems whilst others don't.  A possible problem is that sometimes the language has to be changed on the card reader, and they seem to have difficulty doing this, yet it seems to be a simple key press.  Some outlets even refuse your card after a few goes, despite the fact that you may have used it there just a few days previously.  In various transactions with different outlets I have been unimpressed with French ability concerning computerised transactions.  Similarly many have difficulty with cash transactions.

No, you have to sign using a french card in the UK. But, the units are more sophisticated now. I used mine in an Indian restaurant in Weybridge last week and the receipt showed the conversion rate that would be used. It also allowed me to record the tip and/or final figure in Euros. I filled in €55 and that's the amount that hit my account.

I've had a chip and pin here in france for years, so when the UK started using them last year, I thought life was going to be just a little bit esier. but, no. Every time the machine refused the card. I got quite a few strange looks from UK shop assistants who were proud to be using their new technology and were being thwarted by my foreign card.

So this summer's trip to the UK, I warned everyone that my (new since last january) card would need swiping. But the machines wouldn't allow an override. It turns out that my new card is accepted in both countries without problem. But my husband's card which is up fror renewal in november isn't.

[quote]You can visit the same store on different occasions, and can have acceptance of chip and pin on one visit, yet problems on another! Some assistants seem to have problems whilst others don't. A possi...[/quote]

"In various transactions with different outlets I have been unimpressed with French ability concerning computerised transactions.  Funny that I have NEVER had any problem with my CB so on a survey of hundreds of transactions, I AM very impressed.

" Similarly many have difficulty with cash transactions.???? 

What a French shop that does not take CASH Where is it?  You weren't trying to use pound notes were you,?  If so, how dare the French refuse them

Jon

Seriously, its more likely that your card issuer is causing the problems than the French, how dare those French machines refuse your BRITISH card.  If you are going to another country you should tell your card issuer as most issuers have systems that pick up irregular use and will block usage, it is inconvenient when this happens at the checkout at the supermarket in Calais, but far better than people moaning to them that they should have spotted the use of their card in Greece or after someone has racked up a £1000  bill in Bulgaria using a card that has been made up from the details kindly provided by the lovely waitress in that bistro in Chelsea.