Tax d'habitation

Honeydo

Live in UK, received and paid d'habitation in 2004.  However I have not yet received 2005 bill which I think I should have by now.  Has everybody else received theirs.  Comments gratefully received.  If no bill what do I do. Paid by direct debit last year.  Tax fonciere arrived 2005 no problem. Thanks

Same as you. Tax Fonciere done and dusted but no Tax d'Habitation - although form completed and returned earlier in year. Completed the same last year but received no bill - locals seem to think that this is normal.

Anyway I will be there tomorrow for a nice break!!

Do you llive in France or UK.  Should I assume it will be taken directly from account, as normally one has to sign the TIP and send back? I really do not want to be hit with a penalty charge when I thought that by setting up DD for the yearly amount everything would be hunky dorry.  I did not want to have to rely on french post. 

I am slightly reassured.  Last year received and had paid by middle October.  Spoke to a fiend who lives in 17 as we do and he had received his. I have an apartment in Vaux sur mer and because my surname is almost at end of alphabet perhaps this is another reason. Thanks for responses

There are a number of reasons why you may not have got your D'habitation bill, they are out now and need to be paid by 15 novembre.  The Tresor Public are notoriously slow at updating their records and you may find the bill has gone to your UK address or the previous owners.  It is also possible that the previous owners were exempt from D'hab through age or income and so you will not pay it until you have made a French tax return.  Picking up on another thread about the cupboard being bare to pay for health, social services etc, what other country would let you not pay taxes for a couple of years because the previous owners did not or until you submit a tax return

The forms were all filled in and a proper bill received in 2004 that is why I am a little worried haven't yet received this years. Also filled in the appropriate forms sent regarding TV. So far all communications have come to our UK address as requested.

I had a similar situation a few years ago. I just telephoned my Tresor Public who gave me the exact amount and faxed me a confirmation. They will also be able to tell you whether your Direct Debit has been requested, rather than worry just give them a ring.

Baz

I didn't receive a Tax d'Habitation bill this year, so rang up, to be told that I didn't owe anything because we had 'zero' revenue. We fill in a French tax return but my husband works in the UK and, as such, we do not pay French Tax. I asked about the TV licence payment and whether we would get a statement saying we didn't owe anything and she said 'No'................not being very happy about the reply, I asked to speak to the Chef, who said that there had been an error and that they would sort it out and I will get a bill sometime in the future!
So, things do go awry, and I agree with Baz, rather than waiting and worrying, give them a ring and check!!

Regards

Chris

[quote]There are a number of reasons why you may not have got your D'habitation bill, they are out now and need to be paid by 15 novembre. The Tresor Public are notoriously slow at updating their records an...[/quote]

If the last owner's tax situation is so important, and will not be updated until the new owner fills in a tax return, how does it work for owners who are not resident?

Just to let everybody know, I phoned my Tresor Public as per my last bill and they said it has not yet been sent and it will be sent at the end of the month.  Obviously they are a bit behind for some reason.  This year according to the government site there are two payment dates 15th November and 15th December.  Maybe they are behind because of the addition of the television licence being included.

Hi - we got our 2004 one in mid October last year.  Today we called in to the taxe d'habitation office to ask why ours had not come this year as we heard that lots of other people got theirs already.  We were told not to worry, it simply had not been sent yet and that in any event it was not due until 15/12.  I checked our 2004 bill and indeed the final date for payment of that was 15/12 - so the person in the earlier reply who said it is due by 15/11 may be wrong, unless the departments differ.

The question of due dates for Tax d'Habitation has been discussed in the past and there are two dates 15/11 or 15/12. The date depends on the area of your property, so look carefully as any late payment will result in an additional 10% charge,

Baz

[quote]The question of due dates for Tax d'Habitation has been discussed in the past and there are two dates 15/11 or 15/12. The date depends on the area of your property, so look carefully as any late payme...[/quote]

We hadn't recieved our bill yet so we stopped at the TP and they printed it off for us. It isn't due until 15/12. They just hadn't sent them out yet.

I have just had my first ever Taxe D'Habitation bill and I am shocked.  I read somewhere on the net that it is usually less than Taxe Fonciere but this is more.  Is that right?  Taxe Fonciere was 489 euros and Taxe D'Habitation (including TV licence) is 708 euros.  My French is poor and I am worried that there may be exemptions or reductions of which I am oblivious.  Any advice would be welcome.

Just thought I would let you know that we have a house in department 19 and only received our taxe d'habitation bill today for 2005, along with a separate charge for redevance audiovisuelle. 

We are currently in the process of renovating the property and are suprised that an additional 116 euros for the redevance audiovisuelle has been charged, despite not having a tv in the property.  Does anyone know whether we need to pay this amount or can we contest it?