Why are house prices falling in Dordogneshire?

mint

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Madeira Jon"]Don't bother with Sarlat le Canada on Saturday; its market day and full of Brits! ;-)
[/quote]

Not this year! There was a very visible lack of British tourists in the height of the season this year, some put it down to the exchange rates. However, there were masses of Dutch and Belgium's and even Spanish around in August.[:)]

I am weird because I love fighting the crowds very occasionally in Sarlat in the peak of the season, it is full of atmosphere and street performers particularly at night. But I also love the contrast out of season as well. I think the area has the best of both worlds. As someone else mentioned just a few kilometres outside of the hot spots like Sarlat and Les Eyzies and you would think you are in the middle of nowhere. Like my house. [:D]

I posted a few photos of the area on TF a while back, I may just have to go look them up again.[:)]

Your thoughts are very close to mine WJT; that's obviously why we choose to have a home where we do. As for Domme out of season, I think I can pretty well guarantee that it will be deserted and if you can get to La Roque early in the morning when the mist is still rising from the river you'll have a treat most tourists miss.

Hoddy

[quote user="Hoddy"]

As for Domme out of season, I think I can pretty well guarantee that it will be deserted and if you can get to La Roque early in the morning when the mist is still rising from the river you'll have a treat most tourists miss.

Hoddy

[/quote]

Oh absolutely, one of the most atmospheric scenes in Europe, truly lovely, and the view from the battlements at Beynac is one of the best anywhere.  (Morning misty valleys starting around now, surely?  I always think Perigeux is at its most beautiful in the autumn.  (Think I need a French fix soon!)

As for tourists invading (and ruining?) the beautiful place you live in, and like you we've had far fewer Brits this year though lots from the Eurozone, do what we do in Tuscany in July/August: shop really early and then stay home all day, knowing that everyone driving by is going to be saying, "gosh, wouldn't it be won-der-ful to live there..."

Memb, all the places you mentioned gave me pictures in my mind! It's a few years since we visited the area, but I really enjoy it, even Sarlat on Saturday mornings! We get a lot of tourists visiting our lovely little town, especially on Saturdays for the market. I still walk down there each week when we're there- I don't begrudge the tourists their treat, and the atmosphere when it's in full swing is great!

The last time we visited Sarlat was at Christmas, and it was very busy, but such a wonderful atmosphere and lots of special goodies to buy. A lovely area.

Jo

[quote user="Renaud"]l'etrangere - if you can find a copy of The P P P Penguin Patrick Campbell, read The Ot Hound.[/quote]

Renaud, what is the "Ot" hound, I don't understand?

Poor old Patrick, but his lisp was quite enchanting!

[quote user="WJT"]

But I also love the contrast out of season as well. I think the area has the best of both worlds. As someone else mentioned just a few kilometres outside of the hot spots like Sarlat and Les Eyzies and you would think you are in the middle of nowhere. Like my house. [:D]

[/quote]

That's how we feel - we live in a peaceful and idyllic setting which feels miles away from the tourist traps but can visit the 'tourist' areas if we want to.  We often go to Sarlat for dinner and an evening stroll (its only just over half an hour from us).  Likewise the pretty village of Hautefort is just ten minutes away - it has a magical feel at night when the chateau is illuminated.

[quote user="Renaud"]A slightly snobby story about Anglos on the Riviera who lure recently arrived holidaymakers into conversation. They marked the opening gambits with points and "Ot innit" scored very highly.[/quote]

Oh, Renaud, that's so.......................o funny!

But, the Riviera, what do you expect?

You're right, Wooly.  Best to say nowt.

I've found that out to my cost.  And I won't be describing how I have plans to reinstate the moat in my chateau.

Do you think creating a new drawbridge might literally be a "bridge too far"?